Scene from wrath of khan in Star Trek XII?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by euges116, Dec 20, 2012.

1. euges116

euges116 Ensign Red Shirt

So as we all probably know now, there's the hand scene from the trailer that shows Spock and ___ (in a black uniform), similar to a scene with Spock and Kirk from Star Trek II.

There's been some discussion about what might be happening there, and whether it's Spock sacrificing himself (as in Star Trek II).

BUT... I actually think it's Kirk sacrificing himself. The new trailer does have Pike saying that Kirk has no humility, and it appears that he might have been arrogant in the movie and did something reckless, and in order to save his crew, he's sacrificing himself in the end. Fits with the "humility" theme.

Thoughts? I just doubt it would be Spock... that's just a copycat of Star Trek II, and JJ just won't do that. And I doubt it's Bernedict too. So I'm guessing it's Kirk.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Likely Pike.

They wouldn't kill off one of the big four until they get to the final film of their run. If ever.

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's just an homage and something thrown in the trailers that is guaranteed to get the fans talking.
    I highly doubt anyone from the main cast is going to die.

Pike could bite the dust though.

4. euges116

euges116 Ensign Red Shirt

Sorry, let me correct myself.

I think Kirk will sacrifice himself... but in the absolute end, someone (likely Spock) finds a way to save him. I too highly doubt JJ would kill off a main character (much less Kirk). But I do think it's Kirk who's sacrificing himself... and then the plot twist. LOL

5. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a valid theory. It could happen or not.
    There's really not much data available to say anything more than that.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's Spock and Harrison. The glass is the brig wall.

It could even be something as inoccuous as Spock trying to meld with Harrison through the glass (we saw him to similar in TOS) to gain more info on hic plans, repurposed to resemble Wrath of Khan in the trailer. I suspect the line "is there anything you would not do for your family" is actually directed at Noel Clarke's character (the guy with the sick daughter in London)

7. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

It's this

8. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Although an undercurrent of death is present in a lot of the trailer, it doesn't necessarily have to be a death scene. We're just assuming that given TWOK. Which is exactly what Abrams would want us to do. That's why it's there. That's why I'd take it with a grain of salt until we know the full context.

That scene in TWOK was the dramatic climax of the movie, too. It was (and still is) one of the biggest emotional moments in the franchise. Re-enacting it as "just a scene" with lesser characters in "Into Darkness" would be a pale homage.

To that end, if it was supposed to be a death scene and an homage, then go big or go home. Make it Kirk and Spock, or at least Kirk and Pike.

I doubt it's Pike because in terms of better story-telling and poignancy, it should've been written for Kirk to be there, not Spock. We have no idea how close Spock and Pike are, but we do know for sure Spock didn't serve under him for thirteen years in this universe. Kirk is probably far closer to Pike than Spock is in this universe. After all, the presumption is Kirk and Pike have a protege-mentor relationship.

9. Talosian

Talosian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I doubt it's Pike because the hand looks like it belongs to a younger man.

10. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The 9 minute preview ends with Spock trapped inside the erupting volcano and Kirk faced with a choice between letting him die or violating the Prime Directive by revealing the Enterprise to the natives. Kirk briefly wonders what Spock would do if the situation were reversed and McCoy unhesitatingly concludes that Spock would let him die. I don't think this is just a throwaway scene or bit of dialogue, I think it's a setup for the later scene with the hands on opposite sides of the glass.

I think the blue-sleeved hand, which is clearly parted in the Vulcan salute, belongs to Spock, and the black-sleeved hand belongs to Kirk. People assume the latter belongs to Harrison because of the scene with Harrison behind a pane of glass in what appears to be the ship's brig, but I think that's just coincidence. I think Kirk is in some kind of jeopardy, perhaps trapped inside an airlock or behind a sealed isolation door (or maybe locked inside a decompression chamber in sick bay!), and Spock must make a choice between letting him die or allowing something else that is far more terrible to happen. The question from the beginning of the film will be answered, and I predict McCoy's conclusion turns out to be wrong.

11. Tom Riker

Tom Riker Lieutenant

It's telegraphed in the opening of the movie. from the 9 minute prview and the trailer we know that Kirk will break orders, take the Enterprise out of the ocean and save Spock. They will fight about this and at the end Spock will do the same thing and save Kirk.

12. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

WHAT?!!! You mean there will be TWO scenes of the Enterprise under water? One I can live with, but TWO?!!!! Never. The line must be drawn here. No farther. :scream:

:lol::lol::lol:

13. Robert_T_April

Robert_T_April Captain Captain

I for one will be pissed off if anyone from the original cast is "sacrificed."
    Cast members don't have to be killed off to make a movie epic.

The Spock death scene in TWOK was done beautifully! It was very moving, as heart wrenching as it was. That will NEVER, EVER be duplicated, so I wish producers would stop trying.

The Data death scene was silly, as was Kirk's in Generations.

I like this cast, and hope to see several more Trek movies without any missing pieces...hopefully.

14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess that will be the whole purpose of that scene. Just something to put into the teaser trailer to get fans talking.

15. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Actually, given Abrams' penchant for secrecy, I bet NOTHING in the trailers actually makes it into the final cut of the film. I bet he's been wanting to release a trailer with that kind of epic misdirection for years but hasn't had the clout until now. :scream:

(naturally, this isn't true, but it would make for very entertaining reactions if it were). :lol:

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

It's not completely uncommon for something in a teaser trailer to not make it into movie, but, yea, if the whole Trailer was deleted scenes, that'd cause a real uproar, LOL

17. Franklin

Or if he could go 'round the bend, and insist the movie never be shown. "They know enough, already."

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"That trailer WAS the movie. You're welcome"

19. Franklin

:lol: