Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 20 2012, 05:05 AM   #1
wizkid
Lieutenant Commander

The Body Electric just hit iBooks

Downloading now.

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Cold Equations: The Body Electric
wizkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 04:23 PM   #2
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Re: The Body Electric just hit iBooks

Avaliable for Kindle download as well
Old December 20 2012, 05:12 PM   #3
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Just downloaded it from Amazon. Only payed $7.59 vs. the usual $7.99.
Old December 20 2012, 05:49 PM   #4
John Clark
Commodore

Just saw the email so I'm downloading it too.
Old December 20 2012, 11:50 PM   #5
bfollowell
Commander

It looks like B&N has it available too, for $7.99

I checked Booksonboard.com and, while they still have it only for pre-order, the price was listed as only $5.59

The earlier Cold Equations books were listed at $5.59 as well. I saw a lot of other ST titles selling for cheaper like this and saw several listed under $5.

- Byron
Old December 21 2012, 06:29 PM   #6
JWolf
Commodore

wizkid wrote: View Post
Downloading now.

Why would you pay $8.99 when you can get the exact same eBook (just eight days later) for only $5.56? You've overpaid by $3.43. BooksOnBoard (with the 1% off for Google Checkout) has it for $5.56 in ePub. You can use Bluefire Reader to read it on your iPhone or iPad. Bluefire Reader supports Adobe Adept DRM that most ePub uses (BoB uses Adept). The thing is, Apple is still being stupid when it comes to eBooks. $8.99 is just ass backwards.

For those who use a Kindle to read eBooks, if you strip DRM, you can use Calibre to convert ePub to AZW3 or Mobipocket and be able to pay the lower prices.
Old December 21 2012, 08:20 PM   #7
Tom Riker
Lieutenant

JWolf wrote: View Post
Downloading now.

Why would you pay $8.99 when you can get the exact same eBook (just eight days later) for only $5.56? You've overpaid by $3.43. BooksOnBoard (with the 1% off for Google Checkout) has it for $5.56 in ePub. You can use Bluefire Reader to read it on your iPhone or iPad. Bluefire Reader supports Adobe Adept DRM that most ePub uses (BoB uses Adept). The thing is, Apple is still being stupid when it comes to eBooks. $8.99 is just ass backwards.

For those who use a Kindle to read eBooks, if you strip DRM, you can use Calibre to convert ePub to AZW3 or Mobipocket and be able to pay the lower prices.
...and go to prison
Tom Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 10:02 PM   #8
JWolf
Commodore

Tom Riker wrote: View Post
Downloading now.

...and go to prison
In the USA, stripping DRM for your own personal use is a grey area. There are exception(s) to the DMCA for stripping DRM from eBooks and then there is Fair Use. We do not know if Fair Use trumps the DMCA or not. So until it's ruled in a court of law that stripping DRM for personal use is illegal, it's going to remain a grey area. So please don't say it's illegal just like that when it's not yet decided. Besides, if I strip the DRM from an eBook for my own use, I'm doing nobody any harm.
Old December 21 2012, 10:03 PM   #9
Tom Riker
Lieutenant

...and go to prison
In the USA, stripping DRM for your own personal use is a grey area. There are exception(s) to the DMCA for stripping DRM from eBooks and then there is Fair Use. We do not know if Fair Use trumps the DMCA or not. So until it's ruled in a court of law that stripping DRM for personal use is illegal, it's going to remain a grey area. So please don't say it's illegal just like that when it's not yet decided. Besides, if I strip the DRM from an eBook for my own use, I'm doing nobody any harm.
The problem is you could buy an ebook, strip the drm and make a new copy and return the original for a full refund.
Tom Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 10:48 PM   #10
JWolf
Commodore

...and go to prison
The problem is you could buy an ebook, strip the drm and make a new copy and return the original for a full refund.
That is not a problem. When you return an eBook, you have to say why and usually it's checked before you get a refund. Besides, you can buy with DRM, load it on your reader and still try to return it. Once I have it, I have it, DRM or not. So that is a non-issue. OK, you're against stripping DRM. But DRM is against my rights to be able to do what I want (other than sharing on the net) with what I bought.
Old December 21 2012, 10:54 PM   #11
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Just a lot of effort involved to save two dollars on an e-book that I can download directly to the Kindle.
Old December 21 2012, 11:00 PM   #12
JWolf
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
Just a lot of effort involved to save two dollars on an e-book that I can download directly to the Kindle.
If you are setup properly to strip DRM, stripping the DRM takes as much time as it takes to load an eBook into Calibre. Then all you do is send it to the Kindle and it gets converted along the way. Not a lot of effort or a lot of time.

Download eBook. Copy to Calibre (which has the DRM removal plugins already installed). Plug the USB cord into the Kindle. Send the eBook to the Kindle and it gets converted along the way. Eject the Kindle. DONE!
Old December 22 2012, 10:25 AM   #13
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Which is considerably more work than simply clicking "Buy now" and turn on your WiFi-Connection (if it isn't already active).
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 11:40 AM   #14
Zedferret
Lieutenant Junior Grade

DRM will always be a thorny issue. If you buy a paperback (usually for a similar price) you can do what you want with it, you can give it away, lend it or sell it. With an ebook you can't do any of these things. I can't even put one of my books on my partner's e-reader.

I've always wondered what authors think of e-books. They might get more sales, but I discovered many of the authors I like through second hand and borrowed books.
Zedferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 09:48 PM   #15
JWolf
Commodore

Zedferret wrote: View Post
DRM will always be a thorny issue. If you buy a paperback (usually for a similar price) you can do what you want with it, you can give it away, lend it or sell it. With an ebook you can't do any of these things. I can't even put one of my books on my partner's e-reader.

I've always wondered what authors think of e-books. They might get more sales, but I discovered many of the authors I like through second hand and borrowed books.
Today's DRM implementations do allow for multiple devices to be authorized to the same account. So for example, if I had two Sony Readers, they could both be authorized to the same account and the DRMed ePub could be shared. Given this, it does make it possible to share the same eBooks with your partner. I do share some eBooks with family.