The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 20 2012, 07:36 PM   #31
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: Starship Crashing Into Bay Scale Problem: The Saucer Is 1701-D Siz

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
It seems to me as if it's skimming the top of the water while trying to pull up.
The angle of attack seems a bit too steep for a successful skim, but also not like an out-of-control catastrophic crash in progress. Looks to me like more an "attempted splashdown of crippled ship, with intent to avoid the buildings on shore while at the same time not ending up with ship in too many pieces".

Or something like that.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 07:43 PM   #32
Worfmonger
Commander

Yeppers, looks to me like a crash-landing rather than a full-blown crash. Here's to hoping she manages to shave off enough inertia and not slam into the building she appears to be heading toward. o.0
And threw every piece into a fire.
Worfmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 07:51 PM   #33
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Kruezerman wrote: View Post
If it was crashing though, with her shields down, why didn't she break up in the atmosphere?
The Enterprise D didn't when it crashed on Veridian III. Voyager didn't when it crashed on that ice planet.
Both were controlled (kinda) and the saucer's angle was very shallow in comparison.

I say this ship was piloted down if not for a crash landing then for a deliberate attack on San Fransisco.
Old December 20 2012, 07:54 PM   #34
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

If it was crashing though, with her shields down, why didn't she break up in the atmosphere?
The Enterprise D didn't when it crashed on Veridian III. Voyager didn't when it crashed on that ice planet.
Both were controlled (kinda) and the saucer's angle was very shallow in comparison.

I say this ship was piloted down if not for a crash landing then for a deliberate attack on San Fransisco.
Why would it come to the surface for an attack? With phasers and photon torpedoes, it should be able to obliterate San Francisco easily from orbit.

And why would it be hitting the water if it was attacking the city?

We could be seeing the final moments of Admiral Marcus' ship...
Old December 20 2012, 07:56 PM   #35
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post

Why would it come to the surface for an attack? With phasers and photon torpedoes, it should be able to obliterate San Francisco easily from orbit.

Shock value to illicit an emotional response from the audience because of 9/11?

Prelude to a surface attack where the enemy troops are aboard the crashing cruiser?

Either works and there are probably many more.
Old December 20 2012, 07:59 PM   #36
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile

Worfmonger wrote: View Post
Yeppers, looks to me like a crash-landing rather than a full-blown crash. Here's to hoping she manages to shave off enough inertia and not slam into the building she appears to be heading toward. o.0
As long as it's captained by Sully Sullenberger I'm cool with this.
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 08:01 PM   #37
BillJ
Admiral

Prelude to a surface attack where the enemy troops are aboard the crashing cruiser?
Transporters?
Old December 20 2012, 08:03 PM   #38
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Transporters?
Lightning strike by crashing the ship, thereby confusing your enemy, then have your troops storm the compound/base/whatever.

Think Trojan Horse in this scenario.
Old December 20 2012, 08:13 PM   #39
Franklin
Rear Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
It seems to me as if it's skimming the top of the water while trying to pull up.
The angle of attack seems a bit too steep for a successful skim, but also not like an out-of-control catastrophic crash in progress. Looks to me like more an "attempted splashdown of crippled ship, with intent to avoid the buildings on shore while at the same time not ending up with ship in too many pieces".

Or something like that.
Could be. But if the crew had enough control of the ship to attempt a "splashdown," then why steer to crash in the Bay when the expanse of the Pacific Ocean is a few miles away? For that reason, I'd say the crew is not in control of the ship, or had very little control, and it could've just as well plowed into downtown S.F.

The KEWEL factor would require that ship to start cartwheeling. At any rate, I don't see things ending well for it or its crew.

As far as it not burning up in the atmosphere goes, since we're seeing more and more atmospheric flight from starships in Trek, it could be it entered the atmosphere intact for some reason, then was brought down.
Old December 20 2012, 08:16 PM   #40
BillJ
Admiral

Transporters?
Lightning strike by crashing the ship, thereby confusing your enemy, then have your troops storm the compound/base/whatever.

Think Trojan Horse in this scenario.
Sorry. Don't buy it. It makes no sense to crash a starship into a body of water to launch a surface attack.

It likely is what it looks like it is. A ship damaged during battle that was no longer able to hold orbit. The only real questions are: Who does it belong to? What point in the movie does it come down?
Old December 20 2012, 08:44 PM   #41
throwback
Captain

I like the original design of the Enterprise. She is a beautiful ship. The new Enterprise is fugly.

According to background sources, the number of crew aboard the new ship is 11,000. (Star Trek Film Dossier) To put this into perspective, the number of individuals killed at the Battle of Wolf 359 was nearly 11,000. ("The Drumhead")

If other ships in this JJverse are equally large and heavily populated, then the ship crashing into the bay might have a crew of thousands.

I don't understand the need for such a large number of crew aboard starships, or the need to make the ships as large as they seem to be.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 08:51 PM   #42
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

throwback wrote: View Post
According to background sources, the number of crew aboard the new ship is 11,000. (Star Trek Film Dossier)
Where was that exactly?

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 08:53 PM   #43
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

I like the original design of the Enterprise. She is a beautiful ship. The new Enterprise is fugly.

According to background sources, the number of crew aboard the new ship is 11,000. (Star Trek Film Dossier) To put this into perspective, the number of individuals killed at the Battle of Wolf 359 was nearly 11,000. ("The Drumhead")

If other ships in this JJverse are equally large and heavily populated, then the ship crashing into the bay might have a crew of thousands.

I don't understand the need for such a large number of crew aboard starships, or the need to make the ships as large as they seem to be.

"It also states the D and E decks – located in the saucer – are used as offices and quarters for a crew of 1100..."

Also the ship was skidding along the water itself, so it could very much have hit land and then disembarked her troops. But it's irrelevant since we have no idea what is happening in San Fransisco at that time anyway.
Old December 20 2012, 09:31 PM   #44
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Actually it's only 1100, from the old "Experience the Enterprise" interactive tour site.
Because for this film they could afford larger sets, shuttles, effects and used an enourmous beer brewery as the engineering section. So they made the ships bigger to fit it all.

The Next Generation Enterprise was meant to be much, much bigger than the one in the old movies - yet all the sets were all the same size as the old ones (because most were redressed Motion Picture sets) - what sense does that make?
Old December 20 2012, 09:39 PM   #45
BillJ
Admiral

Why would they need to be bigger though? The whole idea behind Next Gen was that technology had advanced to a point where you didn't need as many people to actually run things.

While the bridge itself wasn't bigger, the deck one footprint was when you added in the observation lounge and the ready room. Hallways wouldn't really need to be any wider either. The ship had forty-two decks and a thousand people, that's only twenty-five people per deck on average with a third of those sleeping at a given time.