Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 11 2012, 03:18 PM   #1
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

The All-New DALLAS!

Dallas returns to television with 10 new episodes. The show is a continuation of the
original series and features both new and returning cast members. The first two
episodes will air on Wednesday, June 13th on TNT in the U.S. and on Bravo in Canada.

Official Website | IMDb page | Wikipedia Entry
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 04:18 PM   #2
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

Re: The All-New DALLAS!

I'm actually warming up to the idea of this new series. I'm not big on updates--I don't think you can ever go back and in general I think shows should not be resurrected or rebooted--however this one does sound like the writers might have learned a few lessons--namely JR, Sue Ellen and Bobby aren't going to be just props to lure old fans into the fold--rather according to interviews they'll be as much a part of the cast as the new people.

On the otherhand I'm not impressed with the two young guys playing John Ross and Christopher--I'm afraid they are going to be the weak links and with such important roles that could torpedo the show for me.

Hopefully it'll be just as wickedly delightful in its over-the-top plotting, scheming and back-stabbing as the original--there hasn't been a solidly good nighttime soap in more than a decade.
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 06:44 PM   #3
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

I just wanna see my man JR be his usual evil self. Larry Hagman's getting up there in years. I hope he can match his old energy.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 07:32 PM   #4
lennier1
Commodore

Will these new guys even stand a chance once Larry Hagman and Patrick Duffy have warmed up enough to be back in character?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 07:42 PM   #5
J.T.B.
Commodore

I pretty much lost interest with Dallas around the time Jim Davis died. This won't change that, but it would be cool if they did something with Susan Howard (the first female Klingon!).

Justin
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 07:49 PM   #6
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

lennier1 wrote: View Post
Will these new guys even stand a chance once Larry Hagman and Patrick Duffy have warmed up enough to be back in character?
Jordana Brewster maybe, but the two guys look too metrosexual to compete with two legendary battling Texas Oilmen.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 08:00 PM   #7
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

It's just a short run, something like 6 episodes for this season, so I'll give it a shot. Let's see if the younguns can measure up to the old farts.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 10:21 PM   #8
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
It's just a short run, something like 6 episodes for this season, so I'll give it a shot. Let's see if the younguns can measure up to the old farts.
10 episodes.

I'm looking forward to it. Growing up, my extended family would all gather at my grandparents' house and watch Dallas and Knots Landing as a family. I have such great memories of curling up with a blanket and watching JR scheme while surrounded by my loved ones - many of whom are no longer with us.

I got the chance to meet Mr. Hagman two years ago, and talked with him briefly, it was like I was talking with my own childhood.

I'm thrilled they have so many returning actors from the original series - Charlene Tilton, Ken Kercheval (sp?), Linda Gray, Larry Hagman, and Patrick Duffy right off the top of my head, possibly others.

Can't wait for Wednesday night.
Old June 11 2012, 10:23 PM   #9
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

So have they given up on an actual reboot, like what was being planned a while back (reportedly involving John Travolta and J-Lo)?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 10:49 PM   #10
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Indeed. This is a continuation of the previous series (and movies), set "today" (as in, 2012).
Old June 11 2012, 10:51 PM   #11
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Good. No Hagman, no JR.

Although Connor Trinneer would be almost as good.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2012, 11:13 PM   #12
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I was never a huge Dallas fan, but I watched from time to time (especially when Jenilee Harrison was on). I like that it's a continuation and not a re-boot. But the new characters all look like models (very metrosexual, as stated above). The original cast were all attractive, but they had individuality and identity.
Old June 11 2012, 11:25 PM   #13
J.T.B.
Commodore

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
I'm thrilled they have so many returning actors from the original series - Charlene Tilton, Ken Kercheval (sp?), Linda Gray, Larry Hagman, and Patrick Duffy right off the top of my head, possibly others.
Steve Kanaly too, it looks like.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2012, 03:59 AM   #14
Worf2DS9
Writer

I never watched Dallas originally (I did watch Knots Landing & Falcon Crest tho), but I will give this a look for curiosity's sake at least.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2012, 04:00 AM   #15
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I was never a huge Dallas fan, but I watched from time to time (especially when Jenilee Harrison was on). I like that it's a continuation and not a re-boot. But the new characters all look like models (very metrosexual, as stated above).
Yet another reason I no longer watch TV, except for Clone Wars, and I usually wait for the DVD's.

Which is what I might do with this new Dallas. I loved the old one, but I still believe it went on about eight years too long. I can't see what this new version would accomplish other than beating a dead horse.

Still, I've been wrong about a show before. maybe this will surprise me.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote