RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,705
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 839
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 20 2012, 09:13 AM   #16
Timo
Admiral

Re: Episode of the Week: The Arsenal of Freedom

But yeah, it would have been nice if the episode acknowledged that.
It would have been sort of cute for Geordi and the youngsters to defeat the invincible fighting machine, only to be told that there never was any need to - they could just have waited it out, as Picard had already sorted out everything. Would Picard perhaps have kept this information to himself to boost the self-confidence of his officers, in a scene the audience would "get" but the heroes would find a bit confusing?

And speaking of TOS to TNG, what happened to the science officer role?
Seems to have been a clear casualty. Data was apparently being considered for just the role, but then the creators got cold feet with too obvious TOS parallels and whatnot, and the unsatisfactory "Operations Officer" thing was invented instead.

One TNG-specific invention made it: we got the Counselor. Another did not: Worf didn't become the Marine. Overall, though, the writers appeared to have been given instructions not to "typecast" the characters, and in the first season, none of them had a clear-cut role. Even within a single episode, the duty of steering the ship, answering the hails or firing the phasers would hop from one character to another at random. Perhaps "Arsenal of Freedom" has some of that, too, with the Chief Engineer's ambitions for commanding the ship through a battle.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 04:10 PM   #17
Forbin
Admiral

Magus on a Star Trek wrote: View Post
Forbin wrote: View Post
It's all well and good to know herbal medicine and roots and poultices and such - but how the hell does such knowledge apply to a totally alien planet with totally unknown ecosystem, chemistry, biology... ?
How is it that humanoids that evolve on totally alien planets look just like humans with latex bumps on their hand and can successfully mate with humans? In the Star Trek universe, alien ecosystems are not very alien all.
Oh, that always bugged the hell outta me too!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 05:00 PM   #18
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Timo wrote: View Post
Seems to have been a clear casualty. Data was apparently being considered for just the role, but then the creators got cold feet with too obvious TOS parallels and whatnot, and the unsatisfactory "Operations Officer" thing was invented instead.
We know from Conspiracy that they had a science officer, it just wasn't a major role on the series.
Old December 20 2012, 06:49 PM   #19
Jeyl
Commodore

Magus on a Star Trek wrote: View Post
It's all well and good to know herbal medicine and roots and poultices and such - but how the hell does such knowledge apply to a totally alien planet with totally unknown ecosystem, chemistry, biology... ?
How is it that humanoids that evolve on totally alien planets look just like humans with latex bumps on their hand and can successfully mate with humans? In the Star Trek universe, alien ecosystems are not very alien all.
Oh, that always bugged the hell outta me too!
We Tholians don't know the meaning of latex bumps!
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 08:05 PM   #20
MikeS
Fleet Captain

jimbotron wrote: View Post
It always bugged me they used the shot of Riker with fake-Rice in All Good Things.
Why?
Old December 20 2012, 08:14 PM   #21
Jeyl
Commodore

Maybe they'll fix that on the BluRay set. Just a simple background change.
Old December 20 2012, 08:16 PM   #22
MikeS
Fleet Captain

As I recall there's nothing in the shot to suggest he isn't at Farpoint - there were tree's at that station.
Old December 20 2012, 09:36 PM   #23
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

MikeS wrote: View Post
As I recall there's nothing in the shot to suggest he isn't at Farpoint - there were tree's at that station.
That, and it jumps out as stock footage. Plus it doesn't quite fit because Riker looks too serious. It was a neat idea to find footage of "babyface" Riker, and I guess that was the best shot they could find. I would have been OK with just a voiceover.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 07:38 PM   #24
inflatabledalek
Captain

I do like this one, as with last week it's fairly dumb in places but still huge fun. As is pretty much anything with "Get off my train!" guy in it.

The main weakness is the engineer, who exists for no other reason that to disagree with Geordi no matter what. Which becomes unintentionally hilarious when Geordi changes his mind about leaving the planet resulting in the engineer having to change his mind about it as well just so he can keep being contrary.
Old December 21 2012, 08:52 PM   #25
Jeyl
Commodore

inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
The main weakness is the engineer, who exists for no other reason that to disagree with Geordi no matter what. Which becomes unintentionally hilarious when Geordi changes his mind about leaving the planet resulting in the engineer having to change his mind about it as well just so he can keep being contrary.
It's funny how a someone who is so predictable both in character and in purpose can be so forgettable. I honestly forgot all about him.
Old December 24 2012, 12:46 AM   #26
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

Bev was not sure, hence why she asked Picard to taste and rub one of them, and had a similar effect to what she was hoping for. Plus when you're bleeding to death, you are going to try anything. Plus who's to say that such and such variety of planet life is only exclusive to one world? I can picture oak trees growing on a world 1,000 light years away.
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 12:49 AM   #27
The Castellan
Commodore

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Timo wrote: View Post
Speaking of LaForge's solution to the tactical problem, the episode really suffers from plot logic shortcomings there. Picard had already shut down the system that kept the demonstrations going, so the assailant threatening the starship should have vanished as well. OTOH, if the orbital demonstration did not end when Picard bought the planetside version, then a second and even more powerful starship-killer should have popped up right after LaForge managed to blast the first one!
I just wrote that off as either the drone malfunctioning or not receiving the termination signal due to atmospheric interference. That kind of stuff happens all the time in Star Trek. But yeah, it would have been nice if the episode acknowledged that.
That one might have been an independent, or like a security system for the planet's local space or another computer was still working.
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
Old December 25 2012, 04:10 PM   #28
Forbin
Admiral

The Castellan wrote: View Post
Bev was not sure, hence why she asked Picard to taste and rub one of them, and had a similar effect to what she was hoping for. Plus when you're bleeding to death, you are going to try anything. Plus who's to say that such and such variety of planet life is only exclusive to one world? I can picture oak trees growing on a world 1,000 light years away.
Well sure - thanks to Stargate, we know every alien world looks like British Columbia.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 05:11 AM   #29
The Castellan
Commodore

The Castellan wrote: View Post
Well sure - thanks to Stargate, we know every alien world looks like British Columbia.

Well, in Trek, 95% of aliens look like humans with speed bumps on their faces as well.
Old December 27 2012, 12:01 AM   #30
R. Star
Rear Admiral

For some reason the guy putting the used car salesman approach selling weapons was my favorite part of this episode. Other than that, it's a typical season 1 TNG episode. Cheesy effects, cheesy acting and an average plot.