Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Closed Thread

Old January 21 2014, 01:02 AM   #1
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

What do you LOVE to HATE about Star Trek?

For me, this is Janeway and Chakotay. I can't stand them, but I really enjoy mocking them and telling them how stupid they are whenever possible (even though I guess I'm also dumb for talking to the TV ), and I REALLY enjoy razzing their fans. Like with this post!
Old January 21 2014, 01:05 AM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: What do you LOVE to HATE about Star Trek?

Star Trek: Insurrection

I HATE this movie with a passion yet have spent an ungodly amount of time discussing it here on these boards!
Old January 21 2014, 01:25 AM   #3
lurok
Commodore

ST IV.
Old January 21 2014, 01:34 AM   #4
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

The Maquis.

I hate them, because I view them as sanctimonious, annoying would-be revolutionaries (a prime example: Eddington, who is one of the worst jackasses I've ever seen in Trek), but I enjoy it because they all get wiped out by the Dominion in the end, and the only ones that don't are the Voyager contingent who really aren't Maquis anymore by the end of that show.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old January 21 2014, 01:51 AM   #5
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Star Trek V. It was my first exposure to Trek, so it'll always hold a place in my heart, but I just wish that fate had played out differently. Still, to a 5 year old, that movie was the shiz.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
The Maquis.

I hate them, because I view them as sanctimonious, annoying would-be revolutionaries (a prime example: Eddington, who is one of the worst jackasses I've ever seen in Trek), but I enjoy it because they all get wiped out by the Dominion in the end, and the only ones that don't are the Voyager contingent who really aren't Maquis anymore by the end of that show.
I feel the same way about Eddington, really. I thought he was underappreciated as a recurring character, but once he started framing himself through Le Mis, that was perhaps the height of sanctimonious self-delusion.
Old January 21 2014, 02:08 AM   #6
SeerSGB
Admiral

Love: The effects, 75% of the stories, the fun that comes with a really good episode.

Hate: Section 31 (one of the worse additions to Trek lore ever), Roddenberry worshipers within the fandom, lazy writing that plagues some of the episodes, when Trek gets to self absorbed and preachy.
Old January 21 2014, 02:13 AM   #7
urbandefault
Captain

I started out writing a bunch of stuff, but it really turned out to be much ado about nothing.

So there you have it. I love to hate nothing about Star Trek.
Old January 21 2014, 02:33 AM   #8
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

A-koo-chee-moya
Old January 21 2014, 02:34 AM   #9
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Hate: Section 31 (one of the worse additions to Trek lore ever), Roddenberry worshipers within the fandom, lazy writing that plagues some of the episodes, when Trek gets to self absorbed and preachy.
You're missing the point here. Do you LOVE to hate any of these things?
Old January 21 2014, 02:38 AM   #10
Gov Kodos
Admiral

A computer that can generate self aware holograms, pilot the ship on its own, and answer abstract questions about life and the universe but can't figure out what frigging cup of coffee is without specifics time and again.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Old January 21 2014, 02:39 AM   #11
SeerSGB
Admiral

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
You're missing the point here. Do you LOVE to hate any of these things?
When they're not totalling annoying the piss out of me, yep? It's a bit of good fun to get into it over whether or not Trek (and by extension, at times, the fans) is taking itself way to seriously for what it is, or whether Section 31 is more overused than time travel.
Old January 21 2014, 02:45 AM   #12
urbandefault
Captain

The Maquis.
I hate them, because I view them as sanctimonious, annoying would-be revolutionaries ...
Like a lot of the fans?
Old January 21 2014, 02:54 AM   #13
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Worse.

Another reason that I enjoy hating the Maquis is that I distrust rebels in general (except when they are obviously in the right, such as the Rebel Alliance in SW - in that case it's obvious that the Empire deserves to be rebelled against, unlike the Federation which clearly does NOT deserve it).

I am a creature of order. I enjoy it, in fact. I have an inbuilt bias against anyone who wants to cause disorder. And the Maquis certainly did that in spades.

Again, though: If I see a rebellion which I consider justified, I'll be on its side. I'm not for order at ALL costs. I just don't see the Maquis' side as justified, that's all. And Eddington deserves a punch in the throat for daring to compare the Federation to the damn Borg.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old January 21 2014, 02:55 AM   #14
Gov Kodos
Admiral

urbandefault wrote: View Post
The Maquis.
I hate them, because I view them as sanctimonious, annoying would-be revolutionaries ...
Like a lot of the fans?
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Old January 21 2014, 03:27 AM   #15
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

RICK BERMAN!
Closed Thread