Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 18 2014, 04:50 AM   #1
milojthatch
Lieutenant

What do you LOVE about Star Trek?

A question not just about what drew you into being a fan of the Star Trek franchise, but what has sustained that fandom? What about Star Trek do you love?

I'll start with a few random things that come to mind:

-I love the adventure of the whole thing. Something that every version of Star Trek has maintained (even JJ-Trek) is a sense of adventure, and I love that about Star Trek.

-Great characters! It amazes me that with so many characters, the various powers that be have been able to populate this fictional world with not a few, but a great many wonderful, well written characters. I was lucky enough to work at Star Trek: The Experience for a short time and I remember one of the interview questions I was asked was "Who is your favorite character?" My answer was that it was a hard question to answer because it's like asking who your favorite child is? And it's so true, far to many great characters to put just one on top.

-I love that the same show that some have (maybe unfairly) labeled as "a Godless Atheistic program" could also come up with a line like this from Deep Space Nine:

“That's the thing about faith. If you don't have it you can't understand it. And if you do, no explanation is necessary.”

-Kira Nerys
That's the awesome thing about Star Trek, not just that it deals with social issues, but that it's not afraid to explore all sides of an issue and nearly ever possible point of view. A rare thing for a major Hollywood tv show to do, and it basically set the standard for it.

Those are but a few of the reasons I love Star Trek. I may list more, but what about the rest of you? Why do YOU love Star Trek?
milojthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 04:59 AM   #2
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

Re: What do you LOVE about Star Trek?

Floor coverings. I mainly watched for the floor coverings.

(EDIT: I kid, of course. More seriously, I've always been fond of Trek's ballsiness. Especially with TOS, but in different ways with later series, too. Trek was willing to tackle a pretty incredible range of subject matter and to really commit to it -- though it was sometimes silly, or sometimes incredibly difficult. We got some spectacular misfires out of this, but we also got some bloody great television.

There was also some pretty good fiction of ideas, especially from TNG and DS9. I am a science fiction fan before I'm a Trek fan, and I enjoy a good solid science fiction puzzler, or a nice meaty slice of socio-political drama.

The action doesn't go amiss either -- it looks dated today, but I still love Shatner-Fu. And Trek was surprisingly slower about updating its action format than a lot of its other elements over the years, but say what you like about Nemesis -- it delivered a genuinely great space battle scene.)
Old January 18 2014, 05:45 AM   #3
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

I say this definitely as someone who was not around from the beginning. I didn't watch my first Trek until 1989, and even then I didn't start to watch it consistently until maybe the 4th season of TNG. As a little kid, I knew that TNG came after TOS (both shows were on the same local channel here), but I started to respect Trek as a whole when I realized to a certain point that there was a great deal of change needed for TNG to ever hit the screen.

Now that I look back at it, and depending on who you ask, my first consistent turn at Trek was maybe five or six incarnations down the line, depending on your own personal definition of iteration -- TOS, TAS, TMP, TWOK - TSFS, TVH (at the time, I considered the BoP to be sufficient enough of a change), TFF-TUC, and then TNG. And that appreciation for change only improved once DS9 and VOY came, and then FC, and then ENT and finally Abrams. I love that the franchise keeps changing and evolving, never standing still, very much a breathing and elastic brand.

But instrumental to that change is that constant promise of humanity becoming better than it is now, the potential to grow up into an exciting, positive community. Though TNG set up the "perfect" humanity, I love that DS9 deconstructed it to examine the cost and thus elevate the appreciation for what TNG had built. Some of the better episodes of Voyager were of the crew holding on to their humanity where it was least expected in deep space. Enterprise may have been problematic at times, but I thought its heart and concept were in the right place, esp. as a natural reaction after DS9 and VOY did all that digging through. And though folks here may have a mixed opinion of NuTrek, I love that the reboot started out with normal humans doing extraordinary things, and that the movies very much have an enthusiasm about their material, with the crew and a few others who are passionate about their work.

Sure, not every iteration or incarnation is everyone's cup of tea, but we're chugging along to the big 5-0 here. In reality, society is dictated very much by the 9-5 grind and people are often defined by their line of work -- in Star Trek's future, everyone's line of work contributes to the greater good, one thing that is definitely a constant in all the iterations, and it's genius that the primary setting is a ship that's both work and community. I love that Trek is a constantly evolving creature, but a lot of that is dependent on the hope of a brighter, less cynical future.
Old January 18 2014, 06:40 AM   #4
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Hope.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 08:59 AM   #5
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

The hot chicks.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 11:05 AM   #6
Sophronisba
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Space.

And I love that even bad episodes often make me think.
Sophronisba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 11:20 AM   #7
Tosk
Rear Admiral

What's not to love? It's kept my interest in the good times and bad for about 30 years now, so it must be doing something right.

I think one of Trek's great strengths is its malleability. Multiple iterations, multiple creators, multiple casts...Trek has excelled with and/or weathered them all. Even with the limits of PG-rated television, is there a genre that Trek hasn't done? Sci-fi, action, romance, horror, drama, comedy, fantasy...it's done 'em all and then some. And the characters continue to shine through, even when the writing is not so good.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 05:23 PM   #8
F. King Daniel
Admiral

First and foremost the characters. Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura and the rest are relatable and enjoyable sci-fi icons. With great characters, even poor episodes are watchable.

The adventures. Exploring alien planets, saving the galaxy from unimaginable threats, making amazing discoveries.

The scope of Trek's world. It's huge. Including the novels it's impossibly deep and rich. Thousands of planets, alien cultures and histories. Even alternate timelines where events unfolded in a myriad of different ways. Trek is an unrealistic comic book world (blue humans with antennae and wigs = space alien) but it's wonderful to get lost in.

The fandom. Chatting here about what we like, arguing about what we don't. The hype for a new movie or novel. The 50 years of fan fiction and fan art (including all the technical stuff that's out there about the ships) that Trek has inspired.
Old January 18 2014, 06:26 PM   #9
dub
Fleet Captain

Kira.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 06:56 PM   #10
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

dub wrote: View Post
Kira.
Damn you beat me to it!
Old January 18 2014, 07:12 PM   #11
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

Oh, the humanity.
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 07:15 PM   #12
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

a few things, but the biggest is:

The progressive future. I like that, for the most part, things get better. Yes, we occasionally go to war with Klingons or sentient space probes, but for the most part, things have improved in terms of inequality, health, and education.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 07:21 PM   #13
The Wormhole
Admiral

The cool spaceships.
Old January 19 2014, 06:39 PM   #14
milojthatch
Lieutenant

Sophronisba wrote: View Post

And I love that even bad episodes often make me think.
Oh, that's a good one! In my opinion, even the bad episodes of Star Trek are a must see because even they have something in them that works. Maybe not as much as the better episodes, but how many shows can you say that about?

Even the bad episodes are memorable. I seriously doubt if they were from any other show, episodes like "Spock's Brain" or "Threshold" would still be actively remembered and talked about. That really is a credit to how good the over all Star Trek franchise is!
milojthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 04:59 PM   #15
desfem79
Lieutenant Commander

- Great acting. Sir Patrick Stewart and Avery Brooks (IMHO the two best actors in the franchise, period) have plenty of fine hours of acting prowess on their respective shows.

- The Roddenberry vision. Whether it's realistic or not is IMO immaterial, but then it's a nice thing to portray.

- The aliens, from common ones like Vulcans and Klingons to the Q and Species 8472.

- The stories/plots.
desfem79 is offline   Reply With Quote