Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old December 31 2012, 10:10 AM   #31
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Re: Orci again claims new series in pre-development

I'll believe it when I see it too.

Though I will say this: animated yay (any new Trek on TV is a good thing); Nu-Trek nay (TV Trek should be in the Prime Universe, all those lense flares on a weekly basis will ruin any television after a season or two).
Old January 1 2013, 08:28 PM   #32
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
Are you targeting children or adults for this series?
Depends on the audience of the channel where it will be shown. Some channels like The Cartoon Network are designed to attract a kid audience (although the late night slots are probably for grownups). Others, like Showtime and HBO, are going for a wealthy adult audience that is willing to fork over subscription dollars.

That's the first question to answer - who are you selling this concept to, and why should they prefer it over whatever pilots they already have in development?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 03:37 PM   #33
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Well, if Orci is involved they will probably be targeting childhoods.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 03:47 PM   #34
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

The original animated series was also a kids cartoon. Back in the 90s, we had kids cartoons that could be appreciated by adults as well (Batman, X-Men). It would be great if they try to go down that route. The one promise of an animated series with the rebooted TOS crew is that it allows for more exploration since, imo, movies are ill-suited for that format. Also, a kids cartoon would create a new generation of Trek fans, which is disturbing to think about Anyway, since I want the new movie to do well, I'm all for this.
Old January 3 2013, 07:45 PM   #35
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 08:03 PM   #36
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Not bad.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 12:37 AM   #37
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Star Wars The Clone Wars is a good template for an animated Star Trek to follow. Well, minus the stupidity of the recent Droid arc and a few other goofy episodes...
Old January 4 2013, 03:19 AM   #38
robau
Lieutenant Commander

Sorry, I can't be onboard for any sort of cartoon. Star Trek is about displaying what mankind is capable of. I don't care how pretty the animation is, it can't even begin to capture the spirit of Trek. There has to be real people and sets and props.
robau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 05:40 PM   #39
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Star Wars The Clone Wars is a good template for an animated Star Trek to follow. Well, minus the stupidity of the recent Droid arc and a few other goofy episodes...
Yeah, but George Lucas is paying for Star Wars The Clone Wars out of his own pocket I don't think a Star Trek series could get that kind of cash.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 05:43 PM   #40
NewHorizon
Captain

robau wrote: View Post
Sorry, I can't be onboard for any sort of cartoon. Star Trek is about displaying what mankind is capable of. I don't care how pretty the animation is, it can't even begin to capture the spirit of Trek. There has to be real people and sets and props.
That's nonsense. If it's good, it's good.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 05:57 PM   #41
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

Hope they do it. Hope it works. Hope it then leads to some post-Nemesis animated Trek, for which they can use those real actors because most of them do voice work already and the prices wouldn't be near as high. Even Patrick Stewart would be reasonable.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 09:22 PM   #42
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I didn't like the idea of a Star Wars cartoon either, until I saw how well The Clone Wars was handling things. The plotlines are somewhat too simplistic for adult tastes, but they're more mature and interesting than the prequels, the characterization is definitely better, and the art is drop-dead gorgeous.

If there's a Star Trek TV series, it will have recognizable features of something else that is currently a success in the TV landscape, because that's the only way to get over the gargantuan hurdle that there is no example of a successful live-action space opera series on TV right now. Someone would need to take a massive leap of faith to greenlight an expensive space opera series, and the movie business is so different that the success of Abrams' movies on their own won't provide the necessary sense of security (though it certainly doesn't help.)

Which means the most likely options are: an animated series aimed principally at kids, or an elaborate political/war fantasy, or a mega-violent horror-show romp.

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Yeah, but George Lucas is paying for Star Wars The Clone Wars out of his own pocket I don't think a Star Trek series could get that kind of cash.
I'm sure TCW pays its own way by being an advertisement for toys - now that a cold-blooded corporation named Disney is taking over, I expect the "charity" to continue because it's not charity at all - but it's a good point that Star Trek doesn't have as developed of a merchandising arm, so that's a strike against the idea of an animated series.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 05:40 AM   #43
robau
Lieutenant Commander

Clone Wars works(or worked until this season) because it's not meant to inspire the real world the way Star Trek does.
robau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 06:38 PM   #44
T'Cal
Commodore

There will be many Trek fans who will not like the idea of an animated series but that's OK because it's time to start branching out to a new audience. The animated series for Batman, Gargoyles, Superman, Justice League, etc. are great examples of shows that appealed to kids, teens, and adults and Trek so needs to reach out to kids and teens. Those shows as well as The Clone Wars and all of Star Wars are marketed so much better than Trek ever was, even in its hay-days, the mid 90's.

I would prefer a post-NEM animated series set on the Titan with the Rikers, their child, Geordi as the XO, and a new cast of characters. I'd love it if Frakes and Burton were made producers as they have proven their abilities as actors and directors and they both have a devotion to Trek to do it right.
Old January 8 2013, 02:43 PM   #45
Antni
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View Antni's Twitter Profile

I doubt it'd be set post nemesis if the current writers etc are involved they'll set it in the new universe otherwise it might confuse the new fans possibly and they'll want to tie them directly into the films somehow so I'd say expect to see the series set in the new universe in the 2260s. Not sure wether it'd be set on the Enterprise though.