Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 16 2012, 08:12 PM   #1
los2188
Commander

Prime Directive violation? [Spoilers?]

I was able to watch a copy of the IMAX trailer for Into Darkness, and I don't know if this has been brought up, but in the trailer from what I could gather, the crew of the Enterprise goes to a world to try and prevent a volcano from erupting and there by killing the inhabitants of this planet. Now I'm sure most of us would agree that this would be a good thing for the federation to do, but isn't that against the prime directive? It brings to mind the quote by Picard in Insurrection saying "Who the hell are we to decide the next course of evolution for these people?" I'm sure there's more to this movie that we just don't know yet, but is this considered a violation of the prime directive?
Old December 16 2012, 08:21 PM   #2
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Re: Prime Directive violation?

You are very perceptive.
They just kept talking about the PD in those few minutes.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2012, 08:21 PM   #3
tranya
Commander

View tranya's Twitter Profile

Yes, and it's a better interpretation of the Prime Directive than the tiresome (and IMHO offensive) interpretations of the PD that we saw in TNG from time and time.
Old December 16 2012, 08:21 PM   #4
EyalM
Captain

What evolution is there when the whole species is dead?
I never liked the TNG version of the prime directive, it made the Federation to be a bunch of assholes.
Also, the TOS version of the prime directive was far more sane: Limited to giving the natives technology or making changes to their culture (which Kirk did anyway...). The preview seems to be more inline with the TOS version.
Old December 16 2012, 08:22 PM   #5
lurok
Commodore

No.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2012, 08:22 PM   #6
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

It depends what the PD says in this universe and in the 23rd century. By Picard's time it could have been revised.

We know that Kirk gets in some kind of trouble with Pike which could be because of a PD violation.
So either Kirk is there without Starfleet knowing about it, which I doubt or they do know about it but are mad because he does something to reveal himself to the natives (making the Enterprise visible to save Spock perhaps?)

I guess we'll have to wait and see. But it's not like the PD has stopped our heroes from doing what they feel is right before.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2012, 08:22 PM   #7
Devon
Fleet Captain

los2188 wrote: View Post
I was able to watch a copy of the IMAX trailer for Into Darkness, and I don't know if this has been brought up, but in the trailer from what I could gather, the crew of the Enterprise goes to a world to try and prevent a volcano from erupting and there by killing the inhabitants of this planet. Now I'm sure most of us would agree that this would be a good thing for the federation to do, but isn't that against the prime directive? It brings to mind the quote by Picard in Insurrection saying "Who the hell are we to decide the next course of evolution for these people?" I'm sure there's more to this movie that we just don't know yet, but is this considered a violation of the prime directive?
And like any directive, law, etc, things can be amended over time.
Old December 16 2012, 08:40 PM   #8
los2188
Commander

beamMe wrote: View Post
You are very perceptive.
They just kept talking about the PD in those few minutes.
Well considering I didn't get a chance to see the whole thing and there was no sound to the one that I saw, I think it's a decent question to ask, but hey, it's okay. You didn't know. Ignorance is bliss. But I thank you for your help nevertheless.
Old December 16 2012, 08:43 PM   #9
Mach5
Rear Admiral

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
It depends what the PD says in this universe and in the 23rd century. By Picard's time it could have been revised.
So ethical values and common reason within UFP actually DETERIORATE over time? Not buying it.

Like EyalM said, how do you interfere with the species' development if you let it get wiped out? Only thing that you accomplish with that is making sure there WAS NO development. "Pen pals" as a whole was a one, big, very serious logical fallacy, just like "Dear Doctor", perhaps even worse.

Writers of nuTrek cannot be bound by the sheer idiocy of people who wrote nonsensical bullshit before them, even if it was "canon".

Last edited by Mach5; December 16 2012 at 08:58 PM.
Mach5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2012, 08:50 PM   #10
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

This is how they did Prime Directive stuff in The Original Series. It was The Next Generation that came up with that "we must let them die" garbage ("Pen Pals" etc), and as Janeway said in "Flashback", they'd all be kicked out of 24th century Starfleet.
Old December 16 2012, 09:00 PM   #11
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Prancer the Sith wrote: View Post
SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
So ethical values and common reason within UFP actually DETERIORATE over time? Not buying it.
Well, it does seem to be what happened in the prime universe, going from the TOS to the TNG era...stupid as it may be.

Personally, I agree with you and how it was handled in TOS and apparently now in STID.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2012, 09:10 PM   #12
Timo
Admiral

...What we see in these first nine minutes is more or less a perfect match for what Kirk attempted to do in "Paradise Syndrome" (save natives from asteroid impact without telling them), down to it being left to Spock to pull off the actual rescue. Picard in "Pen Pals" also seemed to cave in fairly easily to performing a very similar secret rescue, despite agonizing over the Prime Directive earlier - thus perhaps suggesting that the 24th century PD actually is okay with such things?

One also wonders about "The Most Toys", where our heroes save a "colony" of some sort by launching a probe full of helpful but highly volatile stuff. Did they do that harebrained stunt because they couldn't expose themselves to the natives by delivering the dangerous material more gently? Later on, they check out the results, but possibly covertly as no natives take part in the checking; there is also a complete onscreen lack of communications with this "colony". Ye olde type of PD in action?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2012, 09:17 PM   #13
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Anyone else suddenly really want to know what happened to Nibiru Prime? 2259 is still 5 years before Kirk took command of the original Enterprise (2264, according to the timeline in Voyages of Imagination, and the novel Enterprise: The First Adventure by Vonda McIntyre). It would have been during Pike's tenure as Captain.
Old December 16 2012, 10:29 PM   #14
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The TNG interpretation of the Prime Directive was seriously flawed.
Old December 16 2012, 10:58 PM   #15
Timo
Admiral

Anyone else suddenly really want to know what happened to Nibiru Prime?
Supposedly, nuKirk saves a community from a volcanic eruption. I can't see why that would be necessary, because the community appears to possess clothing, weaponry and even some sort of holy scrolls. It's not just an isolated bunch, then, but part of a larger whole that has certainly had enough time to proliferate across the planet. Stopping one volcano from offing one village doesn't sound like a worthwhile effort by any standard; had Pike opted not to do it, Nibiru history might be different (since they were already into their historical era, apparently!), but not drastically so. NuKirk would need clairvoyance to decide that this particular community warranted saving...

OTOH, if all that was left of the Nibiru was located within the kill zone of the volcano, efforts to save them appear fairly pointless.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote