Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old December 16 2012, 04:21 PM   #16
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Biggest 'Why don't they...' in Trek

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
1) Why don't they always set the phaser on wide beam?
Maybe they don't want innocent people getting hit?

2) If somebody is about to die but need to get proper medical equipment, why don't they just start them going at .9999999c without a warp field, effectively freezing time for them, then collect them when they are able to get the medical supplies? Relativistic stasis!
IIRC, full impulse power is limited to about 1/4 lightspeed.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2012, 06:27 PM   #17
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote:
Maybe they don't want innocent people getting hit?
why not? That's why you have a stun setting, if I was a hostage in the trek universe I'd pray for someone to stun us all as soon as possible and get me out of there, I don't want to hear to Picard yapping about not hurting hostages etc. for hours. What if a bad guy decides to murder me to make a point?
Takeru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 12:34 PM   #18
MacLeod
Admiral

Well I do recall Reed once stunning T'Pol who was being held hostage to get at the person who was using her as a shield.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 12:49 PM   #19
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Well I do recall Reed once stunning T'Pol who was being held hostage to get at the person who was using her as a shield.
I believe that's from season three's North Star.
Old December 18 2012, 04:21 AM   #20
datalogan
Lieutenant Commander

It’s funny, I was just thinking about this topic idea recently. Here’s some things from my list of things that have been established in Star Trek that they just don’t do when they should.

The spores in TOS "This Side of Paradise" fix all medical problems. Sure, they are a bit of a mind control, but we know how to stop the mind control now. So we could “infect” injured people with the spores in a controlled environment, let the spores heal their body, then cure them of the spores.

The water on Scalos in TOS “Wink of an Eye” could speed up regular people to super-human speeds. And there was a ready antidote. So, why not have some Scalosian water (and antidote) around for emergencies when you need to move quickly?

they should have used the rubindium subcutaneous transponders from TOS "Patterns of Force" more often

The food on the planet in TOS "Plato's Stepchildren" was able to give normal humans instant telekinetics. Why didn’t they develop that more?

Drug-based Fountain of Youth in TNG "Too Short a Season"

Fountain of Youth by transporter (ie ability to “de-age” anyone just based on their transporter trace/DNA scan) in TNG "Unnatural Selection"

Ability to transfer consciousness into a machine in TOS “What Are Little Girls Made Of?”, TOS “I, Mudd”, TOS “Return to Tomorrow”, TNG "The Schizoid Man", TNG “Brothers”, and sortof VGR “The Thaw”

Dimensional shifting transporter in TNG “The High Ground”. Sure, it killed people, but it could still be used to send supplies/bombs without problem

Metaphasic shielding in TNG "Suspicions" and TNG "Descent, Part II"

Phasing cloak in TNG "Pegasus"

Personal force fields in TNG "Fistful of Datas"

Geordi's probe in TNG "Interface"

Trilithium star bombs in ST:Generations and DS9 "By Inferno's Light"

Computer ports in people's heads in DS9 "A Simple Investigation" and DS9 "Honor Among Thieves"

Borg nanoprobes ability to bring people back from the dead in VGR "Mortal Coil"

adaptive shielding in VGR “Dreadnought” (and the Borg)
datalogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 09:41 AM   #21
Arpy
Rear Admiral

^ to name but a few.

Re phasers/torpedoes: don't be such apologists. They often SHOULD have used higher settings or even wide beam stun settings...hell TOS Enteprise fired stun phaser from orbit. And when you're attacking an enemy ship about to destroy you, yeah, you go for the full uber-nuke setting. Not talking targeted attacks on weaker ships here. And I doubt the Klingons or Jem-Hadar would be as hesitant to use them.

No there are lots of places Trek has gone the Flash Gordon pew pew weapons way.
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 05:03 AM   #22
Finn
Vice Admiral

datalogan wrote: View Post

The spores in TOS "This Side of Paradise" fix all medical problems. Sure, they are a bit of a mind control, but we know how to stop the mind control now. So we could “infect” injured people with the spores in a controlled environment, let the spores heal their body, then cure them of the spores.
The water on Scalos in TOS “Wink of an Eye” could speed up regular people to super-human speeds. And there was a ready antidote. So, why not have some Scalosian water (and antidote) around for emergencies when you need to move quickly?
Probably has serious side effects.

The food on the planet in TOS "Plato's Stepchildren" was able to give normal humans instant telekinetics. Why didn’t they develop that more?
They weren't Humans
Drug-based Fountain of Youth in TNG "Too Short
a Season"
Why would they? It killed Jameson.

Fountain of Youth by transporter (ie ability to “de-age” anyone just based on their transporter trace/DNA scan) in TNG "Unnatural Selection"
It would be pushing it, but it may have to do with the illness Pulaski had. It might not work on someone who's already old. I'm guessing a Doctor with a medical tricorder would be able to tell that Pulaski isn't as old as she looks.

Ability to transfer consciousness into a machine in TOS “What Are Little Girls Made Of?”, TOS “I, Mudd”, TOS “Return to Tomorrow”, TNG "The Schizoid Man", TNG “Brothers”, and sortof VGR “The Thaw”
You cited several episodes here. No reason for them to use that plot more...

Dimensional shifting transporter in TNG “The High Ground”. Sure, it killed people, but it could still be used to send supplies/bombs without problem
Why was it dangerous to people? It may have an effect on inanimate objects as well...

Metaphasic shielding in TNG "Suspicions" and TNG "Descent, Part II"
How do you know it wasn't used again...? They don't have to say "metaphasic" every time they use it.

Phasing cloak in TNG "Pegasus"
It's Illegal...

Trilithium star bombs in ST:Generations and DS9 "By Inferno's Light"
Why would they?

Computer ports in people's heads in DS9 "A Simple Investigation" and DS9 "Honor Among Thieves"
Why would they??
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 11:35 AM   #23
Mojochi
Commodore

Why do they need to run warp engines constantly to travel? In Space, momentum is such that a burst of the engines to attain their desired speed should propel them indefinitely, or until gravitational forces from passing stellar objects effects their speed, at which time they can compensate

The Enterprise should be more like a sailing vessel than a locomotion one, as I see it
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 11:51 AM   #24
MacLeod
Admiral

^With regards to Warp Drive, without they would still be bound by the laws of physics in that nothing can go faster than the speed of light.

As for the Warp Core itself, no doubt as well as providing power to the warp drive it also provides power to the rest of the ship.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 09:15 PM   #25
Deimos Anomaly
Rear Admiral

The warp core needs to constantly maintain the warp bubble I think.

Warp FTL travel is non newtonian... based on our understanding of the concept, I think the drive needs to continually maintain compressed spacetime (or an uphill of warped space) behind the ship and rarefied spacetime (a downhill of warped space) ahead of it.

Or something like that...
Old December 20 2012, 04:05 AM   #26
loki41872
Cadet

The Borg never seemed to be the least bit concerned about Starfleet personnel beaming onto their ships at will with weapons.

Why didn't they just beam a photon torpedo into the center of every Borg Cube they encountered, and call it a day?

Also, we've seen what happens when there's a Warp Core breech. When the Borg attacked Earth (both times) nobody EVER thought to sacrifice one starship by rigging the warp core to blow, setting a collision course, and beaming off the crew?
loki41872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 04:37 AM   #27
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

loki41872 wrote: View Post
Why didn't they just beam a photon torpedo into the center of every Borg Cube they encountered, and call it a day?
The Borg can repair damage like that.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old December 20 2012, 07:19 AM   #28
KamenRiderBlade
Lieutenant Commander

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
The one time in VOY they did do that, the Borg vessel was smaller than Voyager, so they were completely destroyed.
KamenRiderBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 09:32 AM   #29
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Finngle Bells wrote: View Post
They weren't Humans
I suggest you re-watch the episode.
Old December 20 2012, 12:37 PM   #30
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ Maybe the substance from Plato's Stepchildren is toxic if taken in quantities that are too large. The people on the planet adapted to it, but Kirk and company could not. I'd buy that explanation.

Or, it could be for the same reason Alexander refused to take it: They don't want to become like the Platonians. Having power like that is inherently corrupting. If it went into wide use, there'd be a lot more people acting like the Platonians, and no one wants that.

KamenRiderBlade wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
The one time in VOY they did do that, the Borg vessel was smaller than Voyager, so they were completely destroyed.
In Q Who, the Borg cube was shown to repair damage very quickly.