MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 15 2012, 04:45 PM   #16
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: Is anyone not in either LOVE or HATE the new movies group?

I enjoyed the film a lot. But it's a maddening film, it almost seems to be trying it's best to ruin itself through lazy plotting and illogical contrivances. For every great character moment, there's an idiotic "Whaaaaat?!" moment.

Somewhat amazing that it's still a good movie.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 06:22 PM   #17
The Wormhole
Admiral

Devon wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
To be honest, Trek XI was a pretty bad movie when all was said and done.
Why are you presenting this as a fact? Please rephrase.
I suppose I could say "IMO, Trek XI was a bad movie," but what would be the point? If I'm posting it, than it's obviously my opinion.

Provided I never write anything offensive or provoke anyone in anyway, why criticize the style in which a post was written?
Old December 15 2012, 06:27 PM   #18
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Who knows why? You can never tell when forgetting an "IMO" will set someone off.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 06:28 PM   #19
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
I was pretty lukewarm on Star Trek 2009, thought the acting and directing were fairly decent for the most part, thought the story had terrible logic gaps and depended far too much on coincidence to get where it needed to go.

Have no idea whether Star Trek Into Darkness will be any good or not.
This is generally the way I feel -- although I will say I found ST09 to be very entertaining -- even though I had some issues with the logical progression of the story.

I suppose the bottom line is that i did find it to be fun and entertaining (which is important) and it is entertaining enough that I can overlook the flaws while I'm actually watching the movie. However, those flaws become more apparent after viewing the film and I think about it more.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 07:34 PM   #20
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
However, those flaws become more apparent after viewing the film and I think about it more.
I think that's the tough thing about being too close to a particular property. Is that you pay closer attention to it than you do other things that you only have a passing interest in.

When I saw Skyfall, I gave it an easy 'A'. Entertaining movie. But then I saw the review thread where people who are much more interested in the Bond franchise were tearing it up for many of the same things I disliked in Star Trek 2009. Things I didn't really pay attention to because I was just along for the ride.
Old December 15 2012, 07:41 PM   #21
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I'd put the the new movie among my top five favorite TREK movies. Not at the very top--that would be KHAN, of course--but among the better films in the series, which I like to think is not an extreme position. Where exactly it fits among the top films is probably going to vary depending on the phases of the moon.

And, of course, you can nitpick all of them if you want to. Even KHAN.
Old December 15 2012, 07:45 PM   #22
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I'd put the the new movie among my top five favorite TREK movies.

It ranks somewhere around five to seven depending on my mood. Middle of the pack territory. But that's because of the Academy sequences, they felt so contrived and out of place.
Old December 15 2012, 08:49 PM   #23
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Re: Anyone not outright LOVE or HATE the new movies?

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
I don't fit in either of these groups. I very much enjoyed the first movie and am very much looking forward to the new one. But I also think it had some big flaws.
Agreed. Having style without substance is far preferable to having neither style or substance, which was all too often the case during the Berman years, but it's hard to care too much about a series of generic, mindless action flicks. It is at least a well made generic mindless action flick.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 10:46 PM   #24
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I'd put the the new movie among my top five favorite TREK movies.
For me it's in the top three.
Old December 15 2012, 11:34 PM   #25
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

It's a top 3 for me as well. Khan, TUC, and 09.
Old December 15 2012, 11:44 PM   #26
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I can say that the last time I enjoyed a movie with the level of intensity I enjoyed 09 was seeing A New Hope when it came out. Of course I was a lot younger, had hardly seen any movies up to that point and that was the first big screen sci fi/fantasy experience of my life, (and many other people's lives). To have that experience again after several decades of being sci fi saturated, movie saturated, special effects saturated.. that was quite a shock.

I guess you don't really believe you can fall in love again until BAM it hits.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2012, 03:23 PM   #27
lurok
Commodore

Thought 09 was ok plotwise, a little messy. But more than anything just pleased they didn't fuck it up. The recasting and energy alone made it worthwhile. From the 9 minute trailer, looks like the new one is great from the get-go.

Was interesting Quinto and Pine had Amok Time as fave episode in press junket. Shame we won't get their riff on that.

Last edited by lurok; December 16 2012 at 05:26 PM.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2012, 05:41 PM   #28
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

jinglebellrok wrote: View Post
TWas interesting Quinto and Pine had Amok Time as fave episode in press junket. Shame we won't get their riff on that.
Somewhere Theodore Sturgeon is smiling . . . .
Old December 16 2012, 06:33 PM   #29
RPJOB
Commander

I wasn't a fan of ST09 but I'm glad that Trek is back in the theatres. I wasn't a fan of the first few seasons of ENT or VOY after 7 of 9 showed up ir the Gold Key comics or some of the novels either. No biggie. The next reboot may be more to my taste. I don't feel I have to love absolutely every piece of Trek ever produced to count myself as a fan.
Old December 16 2012, 06:55 PM   #30
jayceee
Commander

I read the 2009 ST novelization, before I ever saw the movie.

Back in 2009 when I first heard about the movie being a "reboot" of some sort, my first knee jerk reaction was to immediately dismiss it as another cheesy reboot (without ever seeing it). Subsequently, I didn't think much about the movie for a few years.

About a year ago or so, I found the 2009 ST movie novelization in the bargain bin at a local bookstore and picked it up on a whim. I figured it would probably be a better use of my time to read the book, than to watch the movie.

Eventually I got around to watching the 2009 movie, when I found the 2-disc dvd version in the $5 bargain bins at a local discount store. That particular weekend, I ended up watching the dvd obsessively over and over again, comparing it with the novelization.

Not my favorite Star Trek movie, but it was a good self-contained action movie to watch.
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote