Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 18 2012, 03:12 AM   #136
Capn Flukie
Fleet Admiral

View Capn Flukie's Twitter Profile
Re: The 2 Minute Trailer?

OMG, they've frozen Frank Zappa!

Old December 18 2012, 03:20 AM   #137
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

They're not coffins. They're cryogenic units.

A trivial thing, but kind of cool for an old-timer like me is that in this image:

Link

The insignia pin Kirk wears is identical to the one he wore as part of his admiral's uniform in Star Trek The Motion Picture, the design of which was later repurposed as the central part of the jacket insignias worn in TWOK and later movies.

The old chevron-with-star is very different from the versions we've seen up until now in nuTrek.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; December 18 2012 at 03:36 AM.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 03:33 AM   #138
DaveyNY
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY

Anybody notice what looks like some kind of a Klingon BOP chasing a shuttle-pod/disc through a bunch of buildings?

(at 1:21)
I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
DaveyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 04:14 AM   #139
Shilliam Watner
Commander

Capn Flukie wrote: View Post

LMAO.........they sure do. Good catch. For those that don't know, Zappa was a French/Italian (hence the big crooked nose). Also they could be Jewish too since many have those type noses. Hmmmm...a Jewish augment?
Shilliam Watner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 04:17 AM   #140
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Could those be Klingons?
Old December 18 2012, 04:20 AM   #141
DaveyNY
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post

Could those be Klingons?
That's what I was thinking...
Maybe the ones with the screwed-up DNA (Flat-heads)

Put in stasis to avoid having them spread their "Bad" DNA around the Empire???
I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
Old December 18 2012, 04:26 AM   #142
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Meh, they just look like people.

You know, like Khan's followers.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 04:31 AM   #143
DaveyNY
Commodore

Has anybody suggested yet that perhaps it's the Klingons that find the Botany Bay in this universe?

That's why JH is shown fighting them...

(just pulling stuff outta my as here)
Old December 18 2012, 04:32 AM   #144
RAMA
Vice Admiral

342. Superman - December 17, 2012 TRUST ME: SPOILERS
<
<
<
>
>
>
>
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
YOU
HAVE
BEEN
WARNED!
*Bones is unable to save Khan, unlike in “Space Seed”
*Harrison awakens, is taken aboard the Enterprise and given a Starfleet uniform, a la Khan in “Space Seed”
*Kirk does not awaken the rest of the Botany Bay crew due to orders from Pike to bring the BB crew and Harrison to Earth
*Harrison is furious at this, gets violent, is put in the brig
*The BB crew and Harrison are brought to Earth
*A year passes. Harrison has planned his revenge on Starfleet and the Federation, securing assistance from various people and manipulating others to aid in his goal of usurping the Federation, freeing his crew, and then taking control
*Harrison’s biggest supporters are from within Starfleet and the Federation itself, including Peter Weller’s character.
This all seems plausible.

Still, those "cryogenic" units may be simply to keep the crew killed on Kirk's apparent ill-fated mission "fresh" as it were.

RAMA
Old December 18 2012, 04:36 AM   #145
Robert_T_April
Captain

I went to see The Hobbit opening night, and much to my dismay, there was no Into Darkness preview!
Robert_T_April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 04:37 AM   #146
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Robert_T_April wrote: View Post
I went to see The Hobbit opening night, and much to my dismay, there was no Into Darkness preview!
I don't understand why people simply don't call the theater and find out ahead of time.

RAMA
Old December 18 2012, 04:38 AM   #147
DaveyNY
Commodore

RAMA wrote: View Post

YOU
HAVE
BEEN
WARNED!
*Harrison awakens, is taken aboard the Enterprise and given a Starfleet uniform, a la Khan in “Space Seed”
*Kirk does not awaken the rest of the Botany Bay crew due to orders from Pike to bring the BB crew and Harrison to Earth
*A year passes. Harrison has planned his revenge on Starfleet and the Federation, securing assistance from various people and manipulating others to aid in his goal of usurping the Federation, freeing his crew, and then taking control
*Harrison’s biggest supporters are from within Starfleet and the Federation itself, including Peter Weller’s character.

Still, those "cryogenic" units may be simply to keep the crew killed on Kirk's apparent ill-fated mission "fresh" as it were.

RAMA
This kinda-sorta ignores the whole "J.H. Fighting the Klingons" thingy though.
Old December 18 2012, 04:41 AM   #148
RAMA
Vice Admiral

daveyNY wrote: View Post

YOU
HAVE
BEEN
WARNED!

RAMA
Why? Maybe he goes to the Klingons for assistance/cooperation and they reject him.
Old December 18 2012, 04:50 AM   #149
DaveyNY
Commodore

RAMA
Why? Maybe he goes to the Klingons for assistance/cooperation and they reject him.
Seems implausible to me...

Why would they let J.H. have the opportunity to contact the Klingons after-the-fact of bringing him back to Earth in the brig.

I don't see Star Fleet just giving him a ship to toodle around space with, based on what little we know at this point.

Seems a bit more plausible (to me anyway) that he meets up with the Klingons Before interacting with Kirk and the gang.

The BOP(?) chase scene could suggest this also.
Old December 18 2012, 05:31 AM   #150
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Seems a bit more plausible (to me anyway) that he meets up with the Klingons Before interacting with Kirk and the gang.

The BOP(?) chase scene could suggest this also.
Isn't he in the first 9 minutes of the movie though? If so, for him to both be on the Botany Bay and revived by Klingons, it would have to be a flashback (which is no stranger to Bad Robot).

However, I don't think it is the Botany Bay that we're seeing. The hallway that the two figures are walking into has a brick background, like I mentioned before. That doesn't seem much like a starship to me. That theory could work that they were transported, but that would be assuming the Botany Bay pods were at all portable.
Ryan8bit is online now   Reply With Quote