TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 14 2012, 05:15 PM   #16
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: What Took So Long...why we're only getting a new movie now...

milo bloom wrote: View Post
My concern was always that they would lose all the momentum they picked up from the mainstream audiences who won't come back for the new one because they've moved on to other things.
Again, didn't hurt WRATH OF KHAN, or THE DARK KNIGHT, or THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK or SKYFALL. And I'm guessing it's not going to hurt THE HOBBIT . . . despite a ten-year gap between movies!

If, come May, the TV ads and reviews and word-of-mouth is good, mainstream audiences looking for something fun to do on a Friday night will check out the movie. Even if they've been watching other movies in the interim.

I seriously doubt that anyone's going to scratch their heads and go "STAR TREK? What's STAR TREK again? I can't remember . . . "
Old December 14 2012, 05:26 PM   #17
ToysOnLayAway
Rear Admiral

Whenever a studio announces a franchise like nuTrek, they always have a press release saying new movies are coming every two or three years. They are usually wrong. Shit happens. People make multiple commitments/find bigger opportunities, or the process just stalls for some other reason. Four years between movies isn't that bad.

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
I nominate Many Coto and the Reeves-Stevenses. They know Trek. They love Trek, And they would give Trek the primacy and respect it deserves as a property.
And some Trek fans may love them right back, but no studio is going to give them the keys to a tent pole franchise when they can get J.J. Abrams.
Old December 14 2012, 05:32 PM   #18
KirkusOveractus
Captain

Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus

There was a gap in between some of the Mission: Impossible movies (between 2 and 3 for sure), and that was an example of the time in between actually helping the series!

The Bond movies have had fits and starts because of the studio having legal and/or financial troubles, and those tend to work out OK (with one exception being Quantum of Solace).

If the public enjoyed a previous entry in a movie series, they'll more than likely want to see the next one.
KirkusOveractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 05:52 PM   #19
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Movie Bytes has some interesting observations as to why we have had to wait until 2013 to get a new Trek film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI8bzOTjMMQ
Is there a text version of these observations? I've sworn off YouTube rants because most go on far too long and are simply not worth the time investment.

If all this is true, Paramount should take Trek away from Abrams and give it to a producer and writers who will make it his top priority.
No. I don't think they should, nor do I see any need.

Shazam! wrote: View Post
I'd love them to hand over the reigns to another creative team but not for length of time between movies reasons.
Reins.

One hands over reins, not reigns.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 05:54 PM   #20
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

KirkusOveractus wrote: View Post
If the public enjoyed a previous entry in a movie series, they'll more than likely want to see the next one.
Exactly. Even if they haven't thought of the previous film in years, or been distracted by other entertainments in the interim.

I mean, I haven't watched a LORD OF THE RINGS movie since the last one came out in 2003--but I'm still want to see THE HOBBIT.
Old December 14 2012, 05:55 PM   #21
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Though toward the end of the Berman/Braga era it was sure starting to feel like a reign...
Old December 14 2012, 05:55 PM   #22
billcosby
Commodore

Agreed, it's too late but what are you going to do?
Me, I plan to bitch about it on some message boards. That'll make JJ and Paramount think twice, you betcha.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 06:06 PM   #23
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Let me add another NOOO!
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 06:20 PM   #24
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Umm…no.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 06:35 PM   #25
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

milo bloom wrote: View Post
My concern was always that they would lose all the momentum they picked up from the mainstream audiences who won't come back for the new one because they've moved on to other things.
Mainstream audiences (not necessarily the "Star Trek Fanbase") wants to see movies that look fun and/or entertaining. If THIS movie looks fun and/or entertaining to them come May 17, then they will see it. That mainstream audience is are not necessarily waiting for this film because it is "the next ST film". I don't think momentum from Trek '09 wouldn't really be a big part of their decision to see this film.

The fanbase, on the other hand (who make up probably a smaller portion of the audience for this film) ARE waiting for this film because it is "the next one", but they would be seeing it anyway, whether there is momentum from Trek '09 or not.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 07:03 PM   #26
Balrog
Commodore

There was four years between INS and NEM. Obviously the length of time between films has absolutely NOTHING to do with quality.

Abrams is doing a great job and making Paramount truckloads of dough. He's also the hot hand in Hollywood right now. Why would anyone dump that for relatively unknowns who ran a show on UPN that was ultimately cancelled early for lack of viewers?
Old December 14 2012, 07:21 PM   #27
Gojira
Commodore

I will add my No to the list. I just love the direction Star Trek is going. If it takes 3-4 years to continue with this quality then I will and can be patient.
Old December 14 2012, 07:43 PM   #28
The Baby Stig
Rear Admiral

I nominate Many Coto and the Reeves-Stevenses. They know Trek. They love Trek, And they would give Trek the primacy and respect it deserves as a property.
Oh please. Star Trek (2009) was a love-letter to Trek and the fans. JJ Abrams and his writing team have lavished the kind of care and attention that the Trek property hasn't seen since the days of Nicholas Meyer and Harve Bennett. The difference is, Abrams has managed to turn Trek into a tentpole feature.

So no, Abrams isn't going to lose the Trek property, he'll leave it on his own terms.

All we know is, he's The Baby Stig.
The Baby Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 09:05 PM   #29
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

So, with 27 responses so far there's unanimous disagreement with the OP.

Impressive.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 09:07 PM   #30
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
One hands over reins, not reigns.
This is important.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote