New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 17 2013, 03:20 AM   #106
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Re: The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I didn't have a problem with the scavenging scene. They knew the risks and were trying to get in and out quickly and almost made it.
Yeah they clearly tracked the ship crashing and there was no time for any kind of ambush set up. The alien motorcycle gang was just going after the same crash at the same time.
Aeolusdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 05:29 AM   #107
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Nerve gas would've also killed the defenders, since just ducking under cover wouldn't have protected them. Besides, look at how they've had to build a makeshift community from scrounged resources, what was left over in the ruins of the old civilization. Why would they even have nerve gas?
Why would they not? Beyond the old west setting they still have ubertech. And even with the danger outside the gates the dialog makes it seem as trade and a political structure outside of Defiance is robust. Nerve and other poison gas is really just a matter of chemistry
Old April 17 2013, 06:26 AM   #108
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The arch is broken and mathematically should fall down.

This a premiss of the show.

Something is playing sillybuggers with gravity.

That sounds like an engine to me.

UM?

So what?

Just because all the ships had sublight engines it doesn't mean that they all had ftl engines, because there could have been just one ship that generated a gate... Even though that they spent hundreds of years in stasis, it sounds more like that they used time dilation approaching light speed to get to earth in hundreds of years instead of thousands. Even though they might have spent hundreds of years accelerating and deceleration and the bulk of their journey happened in a matter of seconds.

Data's Mom doesn't want to share or hand over the technology... Which probably means that it's massive if she doesn't have plumbers running around making sure her evil plan works out secretly in the dead of night.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 06:52 AM   #109
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
Vastly superior to Falling Skies, Terra Nova and Revolution combined.
This is true, but it's really not saying a lot.

Like Babylon 5's pilot, Defiance throws an expansive world at us with a half-dozen clearly important alien races and around a dozen Important characters.

Unlike Babylon 5's pilot, though, which appended this heavy duty exposition to a relatively low key murder mystery, the pilot's already moving the plot - killing off characters and setting armies on our heroes before we're more than vaguely clear of the importance of either.

It's promising, this said, the most promising Syfy pilot - hell, science fiction pilot - I've seen since Caprica. I'm hoping Kevin Murphy does a better job showrunning this than he did that, but who knows?
Old April 17 2013, 07:01 AM   #110
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Del Varner was murdered on the Mentalist a couple days ago.

Poor typeset bastard.

Old April 17 2013, 07:43 AM   #111
EmoBorg
Captain

Why do the Irathient seem to have eastern european accents.
"If you tried your best to live an honorable life and did your duty and were faithful to friends and not unkind to the weak and poor, it did not matter much what you believed or disbelieved". Winston Churchill
EmoBorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 08:19 AM   #112
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Reeducation camps could have been regional in the beginning of the peace, or the different alien races could have divided up the continents before the invasion and therefore be allowed the time to ease their human slaves into the new world order at the beginning of the war?

Old April 17 2013, 08:24 AM   #113
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Reeducation camps could have been regional in the beginning, or the different alien races could have divided up the continents before the invasion and therefore be allowed the time to ease their human slaves into the new world order?
Except there was no invasion in the classic sense. The Humans started the war and it was a clusterf*ck from day one. Also both sides liberally used nukes, biological and chemical weapons. I imagine that after 9 years of that the people in defiance mights not want to use nerve gas even if it worked on the attacking aliens. Assuming the people in defiance even had nerve gas. Which seems unlikely.
Old April 17 2013, 08:44 AM   #114
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The humans used Nukes.

The Aliens in return Terraformed Earth.

They probably hadn't intended on finding a technological infesting their new home civilization when they left from parts unknown.

Prof Brown in Star Trek II was pretty sure what would happen if you tried to instantly build paradise on top of a bustling metropolis.

Old April 17 2013, 08:52 AM   #115
Aeolusdallas
Captain

The humans used Nukes.

The Aliens in return Terraformed Earth.

They probably hadn't intended on finding a technological infesting their new home civilization when they left from parts unknown.

Prof Brown in Star Trek II was pretty sure what would happen if you tried build paradise on top of a bustling metropolis.
The Votans were in STL sleeper ships for several thousand years. They knew earth could support life, maybe but that's all they knew. Once they got here they could not leave. The fleet was stranded. They stayed in orbit for a decade negotiating with earth then a human first fanatic assassinated the Voton ambassador and war broke out. The terraforming was an accident.. When the Arks started crashing the terraforming machines went beserk and are trying to terraform the earth at random with 5 different planets ecosystems.
Old April 17 2013, 08:56 AM   #116
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You seem to be aware of information I do not possess from just watching the pilot.

Old April 17 2013, 09:51 AM   #117
Aeolusdallas
Captain

You seem to be aware of information I do not possess from just watching the pilot.
Defiance is designed as a "Trans-media"™ experience. The show, game and interactive website are all official canon. They have the full back story of the war and races as well as prequel character stuff online and in game. For example players in the game while questing get a hold of that crystal Nolan used in the beginning of the show. During the quest Nolan steals it from your character. Quests in game get updated each week as the show progresses.

Considering all of the media hype about this experiment I am surprised you don't know about it.
Old April 17 2013, 11:19 AM   #118
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Video games are for monkeys who like shiny things, but yes other gems of information transmedia have been dropped into this thread.

Saying that the games are canon will be a difficult promise to keep if the show goes for ten years and the game only survives for two. The impossibility of that promise would only be made by a loon or a lemming unaware about what cometh after pride.

Lucas spent 10 years swearing that all his Dark Horse Star Wars Comics were Canon, and then he started making prequels, which shot that idea to shit and questioned completely the moonnazi like policing of the comic book franchise up to that point.

Old April 17 2013, 11:23 AM   #119
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Video games are for monkeys who like shiny things, but yes other gems of information transmedia have been dropped into this thread.

Saying that the games are canon will be a difficult promise to keep if the show goes for ten years and the game only survives for two. The impossibility of that promise would only be made by a loon or lemming unaware about what cometh after pride.

Lucas spent 10 years swearing that all his Dark Horse Star Wars Comics were Canon, and then he started making prequels, which shot that idea to shit and questioned completely the nazi like policing of the comic book franchise up to the point.
The game is canon. This is a fact. This whole project has been designed with that in mind. However I would assume that they contingency plans should either the show or the mmo get cancelled..

As for your monkey comment a great many people on this site love games, MMO's in particular. Your comment is rather insulting.
Old April 17 2013, 11:29 AM   #120
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Do yo like bananas?