Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 16 2013, 10:14 PM   #91
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi
Re: The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Vastly superior to Falling Skies, Terra Nova and Revolution combined.
I'll tune in next week, there's a lot of potential.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 11:04 PM   #92
davejames
Vice Admiral

The show certainly looks impressive, and I thought it started fairly promisingly. But once they got to the town it slowly started to lose my interest with all the dull characters and boring politics.

And the lead character started to come across more and more like just a gruff, unlikeable dick. All I could think was how much he kinda looked like Tripp from ENT (and how better the show would have been with his kind of charm instead).
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 11:06 PM   #93
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Also, yeah, it's from the guy who made Farscape, and it's trying too hard to look like a Farscape knockoff in places - bald woman in robes, big alien guy with gruff attitude and voice (who has tentacle-like beard and hair with rings along it...)
Rockne O'Bannon left long ago. It's thoroughly Kevin Murphy's baby.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2013, 11:20 PM   #94
sojourner
Admiral

It's funny that people say that some of the CGI looks cheap. Wonder if they are forgetting about the tie-in video game. More than likely said CGI is straight from the game. It's purposely bad CGI in that respect.
Old April 16 2013, 11:44 PM   #95
RAMA
Vice Admiral

It was OK..but with all that background, I thought we might see something more...Alien? Unusual? Imaginative? Plot boiled down to a lot of the usual locales: bars, brothels, fight club, etc in a dusty western town. Characters were pretty unremarkable too, the same old girl who can kiss ass, grizzled veteran gunfighter/military man, mobster, etc. The actors were pretty interesting and made it worth watching. The most disappointing moment...the ending...the dweeb in the suit and the old lady were behind the attack? They're looking for the ring to rule them all? It has potential, probably more than other recent big budget scifi shows that failed, so I'll continue watching for now. 2.5 out of 5 stars

RAMA
Old April 17 2013, 12:01 AM   #96
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Thirty minutes in and I am soooo bored.
Old April 17 2013, 12:28 AM   #97
Christopher
Writer

sojourner wrote: View Post
It's funny that people say that some of the CGI looks cheap. Wonder if they are forgetting about the tie-in video game. More than likely said CGI is straight from the game. It's purposely bad CGI in that respect.
No, I've seen some game footage, and it's even cruder and lower-resolution than what's on the show. Although in its defense, it's not trying to look real there.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 12:30 AM   #98
JD
Admiral

I loved it just as much as I expected. I really like Nolan and Irisa, and while it wasn't the most original one I've come across, I still really enjoyed the story. The town is interesting, and I thought most of the aliens were pretty cool. I absolutely love the cast.
Old April 17 2013, 12:38 AM   #99
blueskin
Ensign

View blueskin's Twitter Profile

I will give the show a few more weeks. This show reminds me a lot of Gun smoke. Nolan is Marshal Dillon, Kenya is miss Kitty Russell.
+
Two powerful families -- the McCawleys,( Bonazer Cartwrights) who control the mines and the Tarrs,(Barkley Big Valley) elite alien race called the Castithans.
Especially the lies.
blueskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 01:09 AM   #100
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Pretty dull.

And I just didn't care about the big attack because I hardly knew the characters at that point.
Old April 17 2013, 01:21 AM   #101
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Lucky wrote: View Post
I really enjoyed the premiere. Looking forward to more.
I loved it. It was well Gunsmoke in Gamma World. I will keep tuning in.
Aeolusdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 01:47 AM   #102
not
Lieutenant Commander

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
The pilot was ok, I'll watch the next episode. It started out very cliched, and the main characters were acting like idiots (going into a crashed ship to salvage was such an obvious set up for some kind of raider attack I was almost yelling at them through the TV)...
They saw the ship fall out of orbit, as did the raiders -ergo no set up but just bad timing
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 01:55 AM   #103
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Also, yeah, it's from the guy who made Farscape, and it's trying too hard to look like a Farscape knockoff in places - bald woman in robes, big alien guy with gruff attitude and voice (who has tentacle-like beard and hair with rings along it...)
Rockne O'Bannon left long ago. It's thoroughly Kevin Murphy's baby.
Apparently Murphy's just the baby daddy, cause the thing looks like O'Bannon popped it out all by himself.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 01:56 AM   #104
Christopher
Writer

not wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
(going into a crashed ship to salvage was such an obvious set up for some kind of raider attack I was almost yelling at them through the TV)...
They saw the ship fall out of orbit, as did the raiders -ergo no set up but just bad timing
No doubt Arkfalls attract the attention of many scavengers (Ark hunters, as they're called). Nolan was presumably hoping he and Irisa could get in and out before the competition showed up, just like any scavenger.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2013, 03:06 AM   #105
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I didn't have a problem with the scavenging scene. They knew the risks and were trying to get in and out quickly and almost made it.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote