Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 26 2013, 04:44 PM   #286
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral

Re: The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Anwar wrote: View Post
So, what did everyone think of tonight's episode? Nice seeing them explore the remains of old St Louis and all that.
As a St. Louis native I enjoyed the little nods to the city - the mention of toasted ravioli and gooey butter cake, and the fact that the Old St. Louis skyline showed the Eagleton federal building and Met Square (where I used to work!)

Overall I'm enjoying both the show and the game (although to be fair I got the game for free so my expectations are very low ... )
Old April 26 2013, 06:32 PM   #287
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I bought the game, haven't played it yet though.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 07:54 PM   #288
Christopher
Writer

Okay, "toasted ravioli" is something I'd like to hear more about. How does that work?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 08:07 AM   #289
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

You take some raviloi and dip them in breadcrumbs and then deep fry them.
Old April 27 2013, 02:32 PM   #290
shivkala
Rear Admiral

I think if it wasn't for the fact that some of my shows have ended for the season (The Walking Dead) and others are wrapping up in a few weeks, I would have given up on Defiance. However, when these shows are done for the season and my DVR is light on shows, I'll at least have Defiance. Though, I'll have to re-evaluate it after this season. It reminds me of how I felt about Caprica and Stargate: Universe in that I didn't dislike them, I just didn't find anything to love about them, either.

Part of what frustrates me is that I don't know what I want out of the show. It's missing the wit and Whedonism of firefly, the corny/meta humor of Eureka, the nail-biting tension/desperation/post-apocalyptic feel of shows like The Walking Dead and Battlestar Galactica, etc.

I want more fleshing out of this world. The pilot hinted at trade agreements with other settlements, but so far we haven't seen any indication of what the town has versus what it lacks. For that matter, what are they eating? With what we've seen of the terraforming, I wouldn't be surprised if our staples were gone/mutated. For instance, salad, can they still grow lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, etc., or is it all alien vegetables? Or, even better, something not quite Earthen, but not quite alien, to reflect the effect of alien terraforming on our land. What about meat? Are they eating hamburgers, pork, etc. or something else?
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 02:54 PM   #291
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^Yes, these are interesting questions. A solid fictional background, made with solid science and stylish fictional stylish, would make the series stronger. Insofar as the show is maybe about disparate cultures uniting in a fraternal or democratic society, attention to the nuts and bolts would help them take the theme seriously.

But it's already so intensely faux-Western that it really doesn't seem like these people are handicapped by the idiot idea that SF is a subgenre of fantasy, meaning anything goes. Hanging a lantern, as in the dialogue about the duster, doesn't change anything. The game tie-in, in particular, suggests they are committed to other goals than a good SF style.

PS Does anybody know what they're mining? You would think it would be St. Louis, but that's not the way it sounded or looked in the last episode.
Old April 27 2013, 03:08 PM   #292
ATimson
Rear Admiral

shivkala wrote: View Post
What about meat? Are they eating hamburgers, pork, etc. or something else?
In the video game farms (at least in the San Francisco Bay area) are raising pows - pig/cow hybrids.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 03:16 PM   #293
Christopher
Writer

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Eww. That sounds a lot less appealing. That's not even toasted ravioli -- it's deep-fried, breaded ravioli.

For that matter, what are they eating? With what we've seen of the terraforming, I wouldn't be surprised if our staples were gone/mutated. For instance, salad, can they still grow lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, etc., or is it all alien vegetables? Or, even better, something not quite Earthen, but not quite alien, to reflect the effect of alien terraforming on our land. What about meat? Are they eating hamburgers, pork, etc. or something else?
We've seen meals being served at the McCawley household in both episodes so far. According to the "Inside Defiance" feature on the website (image 8), they're eating green-yolked eggs in one scene (not sure if they had ham, though). The text reads, "The genetic mutations brought on by terraforming killed much of the world's livestock and introduced some bizarre new species."

Given how much thought the creators have clearly put into the worldbuilding for the multimedia stuff, I'm sure it'll be explored on the show as well. I think that so far they've done a good job hinting at the larger world without being too stilted in the exposition and without getting in the way of the focus on character and story.

Old April 27 2013, 03:20 PM   #294
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Do you put any kind of sauce on the result?

You know what bugs me, the miner guy's house. It's big and normal and full of matching plates and stuff. And the mayor's office does not look anything like the ramshackle town.. did they find the nice chairs and things in old St. Louis? Because they sure aren't going to be wasting resources making nice leather couches or whatever.

Deserter guy's family is living in a shed drinking out of old jam jars.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 03:20 PM   #295
stj
Rear Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
What about meat? Are they eating hamburgers, pork, etc. or something else?
In the video game farms (at least in the San Francisco Bay area) are raising pows - pig/cow hybrids.
How many stomachs do pows have?
Old April 27 2013, 05:22 PM   #296
cylkoth
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Eww. That sounds a lot less appealing. That's not even toasted ravioli -- it's deep-fried, breaded ravioli.
Alternate recipes (originating outside St Louis), they can be baked instead of fried.
Old April 27 2013, 05:43 PM   #297
Christopher
Writer

^Which still isn't toasted. I'm just getting more confused.

Old April 27 2013, 05:57 PM   #298
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

While a popular dish, after hours of trying to get raviolis out of the toaster, they found alernate cooking methods.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 06:06 PM   #299
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Which still isn't toasted. I'm just getting more confused.
Boy, wait til you learn about hamburgers.
Old April 27 2013, 06:14 PM   #300
Christopher
Writer

sojourner wrote: View Post
Boy, wait til you learn about hamburgers.
Yeah... they don't even make them out of people from Hamburg.