RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,717
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 597
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 20 2013, 02:50 PM   #211
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

The geological upheaval of 2030 could have tucked that river 300 meters down under.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 02:51 PM   #212
Christopher
Writer

not wrote: View Post
There was a terraforming plan but it failed and the technology was released uncontrollably
According to the historical background on the main site, the Votans expected Earth to be devoid of intelligent life, so they thought they'd be terraforming a world that was free for the taking. Once they found out there were already inhabitants, they put their terraforming plans on hold as they negotiated with Earth's governments for settlement rights, and then they only planned to terraform the regions of the planet that they'd been granted as enclaves (though there was certainly controversy about it on both sides). The Pale Wars intervened and no deliberate terraforming efforts were ever made. But in 2030, some unknown event caused the Arks to explode and the Terra-spires to be released, causing an out-of-control global terraforming event that killed huge numbers of both humans and Votans.

It seems like there's some unknown player that's an enemy of both the humans and the Votan immigrants -- that's responsible both for smuggling the Volge aboard the Ark fleet and for destroying the Arks.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 03:39 PM   #213
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^All the races and ethnicities of America need to unite against the true enemy, who is wholly and irredeemably evil, yet gifted with literally fantastic powers of subversion so that, despite being minuscule in numbers, they pose an existential threat. We all know how existential threats justify the remorseless exercise of power untrammeled by the morality reserved for our kind.

This doesn't make Defiance a feel-good story for everyone.
Old April 20 2013, 06:20 PM   #214
Kegg
Rear Admiral

^
However, we know that
Old April 20 2013, 08:22 PM   #215
JD
Admiral

Yeah, I am curious if the spoiler is going to tie into the destruction of the Arcs.
Old April 20 2013, 08:39 PM   #216
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
^
However, we know that
Except that the Volge were never suppose to be on the ARKs to begin with, so the main power player isn't human - unless they go in a very strange Star gate direction.
Old April 20 2013, 08:44 PM   #217
Christopher
Writer

^Or unless the people who smuggled the Volge onto the Arks 5000 years ago are a different group of bad guys from the ones who are conspiring against Defiance in the present. Not impossible, but it seems unlikely that the series would have two entirely unrelated conspiracies unfolding.

Old April 20 2013, 08:48 PM   #218
JD
Admiral

I doubt that the same people who are working against Defiant put the Volge on the Arcs, but I wouldn't be surprised if the two groups are working together.
Old April 20 2013, 09:14 PM   #219
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

All I know from the pilot is I wouldn't doubt there are in fact three bad teams.

I think the show has too much drama. There is the underground criminal element with the vampire who wants to kill the fat guy for some reason. Then you have the human conspiracy from the ex-mayor, and the organization that placed the Volge on the ARK to begin with.

The first one is probably our A story, our B story is the human conspiracy, and our meta story is the third one.

Edit: I'm not spending $60.00 on an MMO ever again specially one with transactions, so.... has anyone played the game. I'm curious how it is and how 'typical' it is more an MMO.
Old April 20 2013, 09:24 PM   #220
not
Lieutenant Commander

Were the Volge smuggled? Or, did they make it aboard a ship themselves. I guess, I missed the part when it was determined, since everyone says the former
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 09:26 PM   #221
Aeolusdallas
Captain

not wrote: View Post
Where the Volge smuggled? Or, did they make it aboard a ship themselves. I guess I missed the part when it was determined since everyone says the former
No one knows but the Arks were absolutely massive and there were a lot of them. So they probably got hidden in cargo holds labeled as containing other things
Aeolusdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 09:56 PM   #222
JD
Admiral

I'm pretty sure one of the descriptions I read specifically said they were smuggled aboard.
Old April 20 2013, 10:05 PM   #223
ATimson
Rear Admiral

ThunderAeroI wrote: View Post
I'm not spending $60.00 on an MMO ever again specially one with transactions, so.... has anyone played the game. I'm curious how it is and how 'typical' it is more an MMO.
First off: there's no subscription fee, so factor that into your price calculations. So far the transactions don't seem to impact gameplay in any sort of "pay to win" fashion - cosmetic items, inventory space, 10% boosts to XP/money earned, or a random loot box (that can also be purchased with in-game resources).

It's an MMO third-person shooter, not an MMORPG. There's a definite main story to drive you forward (unlike what I remember of leveling in WoW), as well as side quests you can do. Loot is only visible to the player it dropped for (no rolling). No world PvP (only instanced, like battlegrounds). There's world boss fights (no grouping - everybody participating gets rewards at the end automatically) and group instances (with a group finder - something TOR screwed up royally).

Asides from the TPS-versus-RPG aspect, I would say it's very similar to WoW. How that's typical versus other MMOs I can't speak to.

If you have more specific questions, I can try to answer them.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 10:18 PM   #224
Kegg
Rear Admiral

An odd choice for the MMO is that only humans and Irathients (the species that Irisa, Nolan's daughter, is) are playable. One would have at least assumed the Castihans would also be playable given the attention the pilot gives to Datak Tarr and his family; while Indogene are likewise humanoid enough to work (and the Sensoth and Liberata fit standard MMO body types).

I suspect that if the game is a success they probably plan to add some of those races in expansions, similar, again, to Warcraft's model.
Except that the Volge were never suppose to be on the ARKs to begin with, so the main power player isn't human - unless they go in a very strange Star gate direction.
[spoiler]Well the <i>original</i> conspiracy could not have involved humans, but the point is the presence of the Volge does not necessitate the existence of a ninth species.[/spoiler]
Old April 20 2013, 10:42 PM   #225
Christopher
Writer

I think the show has too much drama. There is the underground criminal element with the vampire who wants to kill the fat guy for some reason.
Tarr and McCawley are rivals because they're the two richest people in town and each wants what the other has. There's probably a racial element as well, with McCawley not being too fond of the alien interlopers (and if so, that makes it interesting that they cast a Native American actor in that role).

Kegg wrote: View Post
An odd choice for the MMO is that only humans and Irathients (the species that Irisa, Nolan's daughter, is) are playable. One would have at least assumed the Castihans would also be playable given the attention the pilot gives to Datak Tarr and his family; while Indogene are likewise humanoid enough to work (and the Sensoth and Liberata fit standard MMO body types).

I suspect that if the game is a success they probably plan to add some of those races in expansions, similar, again, to Warcraft's model.
Reposting my comments from another forum:

I think it makes sense that the players would be mostly Humans and Irathients. For one thing, those are the two most numerous species on post-Arkfall Earth. We've seen that Castithans can be fighters, so they could be a third player category. But as for the other species: Indogenes are more thinkers than fighters; Liberata are diminutive; Gulanee are rare and incorporeal (though I gather that one does appear as a "level boss" or something); and Volge seem to be pretty much everyone's enemies, so they couldn't play the same story role as a human or Irathient player character. Sensoth are big, strong, and capable of aggression as we saw with Tarr's henchman in the pilot, but they're rather slow-moving, and from the demo, there's a lot of running in the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if Biomen showed up as a playable category at some point, though. They seem to be just the sort of thing that would be created for the sake of the game more than the show.