Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 14 2012, 09:50 PM   #31
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron
Re: Tron 3 is coming (and Garrett Hedlund is confirmed to come back)

Harvey wrote: View Post
Neither film is great -- the first is a fascinating failure, the second better, but not great. The best part of both films was Jeff Bridges, who, unless the writers jump through some serious hoops, won't be back for a third installment. That leaves me a little worried about the fate of part three, but I'm in wait-and-see mode.

JEFF BRIDGES!

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 11:14 PM   #32
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Director Joseph Kosinski discusses "Tron 3".

http://collider.com/tron-3-tron-lega...sinski/217942/

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 11:19 PM   #33
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

So what is going on with Uprising? I moved recently so I have not been following its scheduling. Last time I saw a new episode must of been in the summer and there were reruns the next few weeks after that.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 12:05 AM   #34
Christopher
Writer

marillion wrote: View Post
^^ But the potential is there... I think that was Flynn's ultimate intent (bridging the gap between the digital divide, as it were... I think his vision was to have a Grid that allowed users the ultimate interface. Back when the original came out, a lot of computer users were writers... My friends who had Apple IIs and Commadors wrote programs, exactly like the characters in Tron did... Had Flynn not been trapped inside his own creation, I think his goal would have been realized and we, the people of today, wouldn't be "surface users," or just using the programs created by a handful of programmers.
I don't think the writers of the original film were concerned with anything like that. It was more about programmers getting to retain ownership/credit/control of their own work rather than having it co-opted by the corporate regime. It was more of a labor-vs.-management thing than anything to do with the modern open-source movement. If the younger Flynn in Legacy had really been acting on behalf of his father's values, he wouldn't have pirated the company's software and let everyone have it for free so the company lost money; he would've ensured that the individual programmers who worked for the company were the ones who got the profits when the software was sold. The aggressively capitalist, profit-oriented Flynn of the original movie would've been horrified by his son's act of computer piracy.

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
So what is going on with Uprising? I moved recently so I have not been following its scheduling. Last time I saw a new episode must of been in the summer and there were reruns the next few weeks after that.
There was a run of new episodes last month or thereabouts, and apparently Disney XD is burning off the rest of the episodes at midnight on Sunday nights (i.e. Monday mornings). I didn't notice the schedule change since I watch it via On Demand (which shows it letterboxed, commercial-free, and without those humongous animated promos blocking my view).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 12:17 AM   #35
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
The aggressively capitalist, profit-oriented Flynn of the original movie would've been horrified by his son's act of computer piracy.
Piracy? Hm, probably, yes, but...

Sam Flynn wrote:
Your boss works for the CEO and the CEO works for the shareholders. Do you know who the biggest
shareholder is? [points at self]
Sam was basically claiming ownership over the software, though I guess it isn't really that simple.
Old December 15 2012, 12:23 AM   #36
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Another big problem with Legacy was most of the best ideas of the original were ignored. That the Grid was mirror of our world. Not a copy. That the programs were representations of their human users. There is great potential for using the Grid as a metaphor for our very fast progressing technological real world.
Well, to be technical, it's not even the same Grid. The one in the original was a world inside every computer. The Legacy version was a private self-enclosed Grid created by Flynn alone. Which might explain the stylistic differences.
Old December 15 2012, 12:24 AM   #37
Christopher
Writer

Prancer the Sith wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
The aggressively capitalist, profit-oriented Flynn of the original movie would've been horrified by his son's act of computer piracy.
Piracy? Hm, probably, yes, but...

Sam Flynn wrote:
Your boss works for the CEO and the CEO works for the shareholders. Do you know who the biggest
shareholder is? [points at self]
Sam was basically claiming ownership over the software, though I guess it isn't really that simple.

The point is, Sam made a bootleg of the software available on the Web, costing the company money. Kevin Flynn in the original was motivated purely by monetary profit. Sure, when he was inside the Grid, he was fighting to free the Programs from the MCP, but only so that their programmers in the real world, like Alan and Lora and himself, would be able to retain control of their own creations and not be robbed of the profits for their work. Kevin's happy ending in the original was that he ended up ultra-rich, controlling the company, and flying around in his own helicopter. He wasn't out for some grand altruistic ideal. He wanted to get rich himself rather than seeing Dillinger get rich off of his work.

Old December 15 2012, 01:37 AM   #38
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I missed several episodes even though I have my DVR set to record all new episodes of Uprising but for some reason they never were recorded. I'm not sure why. Now I need to make sure I record it episode by episode now. I'm guessing DirectTV screwed me over somehow. Sundays at midnight...The show must be doing poorly in the ratings.
Old December 15 2012, 01:57 AM   #39
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
I missed several episodes even though I have my DVR set to record all new episodes of Uprising but for some reason they never were recorded. I'm not sure why. Now I need to make sure I record it episode by episode now. I'm guessing DirectTV screwed me over somehow. Sundays at midnight...The show must be doing poorly in the ratings.
By Disney's unrealistic standards (probably based on the live action stuff on XD), yes. It doesn't help that they've never managed to consistently advertise the show and keep it in a time slot, which really hurts the chances of it getting a sustainable audience.
Old December 15 2012, 02:44 AM   #40
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I will probably wait to watch Uprising when it comes out on DVD/Blu Ray. Its been so long I have to rewatch the early episodes to get into the new ones.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 04:20 AM   #41
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm quickly getting bored with Uprising, it's just the same thing every episode, 2 dimensional bad guy tries to catch Beck and fails... it doesn't feel like a full world with well developed characters.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 04:29 AM   #42
Christopher
Writer

I was lukewarm on Uprising at first, but it's gotten more engaging over time. It's definitely not the same thing every episode.

Old December 15 2012, 08:43 AM   #43
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

They finally did something with Beck's boss that actually made him a little more interesting.

I thought that Legacy was pretty good.It could've been better but it was solid entertainment. Looking forward to Tron 3.
Old December 15 2012, 03:21 PM   #44
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Is it confirmed that Daft Punk is doing the soundtrack for T3?
Old December 15 2012, 06:09 PM   #45
arch101
Fleet Captain

So simple really for Flynn to come back. I always assumed he made a backup copy of himself in case of emergency. The backup would only be a program, not a user. So, no user powers. But, it would have all of Flynn's knowledge. If Clu ever grabbed him, how would he be able to continue to guide Quorra, right? I fully expect something like this.