Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 14 2012, 01:09 AM   #16
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Re: Tron 3 is coming (and Garrett Hedlund is confirmed to come back)

Well I'm thrilled. The ending of Legacy pretty much cried out for a sequel.

I gues I'm kinda old school. CGI Balrogs are nice, but I much prefer glossy computer generated metallic surfaces and glowing colored lines.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 03:08 AM   #17
bullethead
Fleet Captain

I really hope the guys working on Tron 3 take a page from Uprising's book in terms of the aesthetic of the Grid, because the black-white-orange color scheme looks pretty lackluster compared to the more diverse color palette Uprising has.

I would not be offended if they gave characters cool powers like Tesler's extension doom arms.
Old December 14 2012, 04:23 AM   #18
Harvey
Admiral

Neither film is great -- the first is a fascinating failure, the second better, but not great. The best part of both films was Jeff Bridges, who, unless the writers jump through some serious hoops, won't be back for a third installment. That leaves me a little worried about the fate of part three, but I'm in wait-and-see mode.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 09:37 AM   #19
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I would be surprised if Bridges does not return. He is a big draw of these films beyond core sci-fi fans.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 12:17 PM   #20
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Is Olivia Wilde coming back? I only care if she's coming back.
Old December 14 2012, 12:22 PM   #21
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Is Olivia Wilde coming back? I only care if she's coming back.
I was just going to post that. Quorra rocks!
Old December 14 2012, 12:54 PM   #22
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

There's no reason why Olivia shouldn't be back. I believe she's contracted for a sequel (like Garrett) and she did return to voice Quorra in "Tron Uprising". She appeared in the viral videos as well, so I expect her to return.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 03:18 PM   #23
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
There's no reason why Olivia shouldn't be back. I believe she's contracted for a sequel (like Garrett) and she did return to voice Quorra in "Tron Uprising". She appeared in the viral videos as well, so I expect her to return.
I think she already pretty much confirmed it (I read it in an interview a couple of months ago). Also, Cillian Murphy (Dillinger Jr.) is a must too!
Old December 14 2012, 05:04 PM   #24
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Indeed. Wasn't that pretty much the only reason he was in Legacy int he first place?

I do hope we'll see a new grid though. The one from Legacy was created with the incredible high technology of the late 1980s, so I think the modern interneted, wified, smartphoned series of tubes of the mid 2010s would be real fun to explore!

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 06:03 PM   #25
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

That was one of my gripes about Legacy. That we didn't see the grid or even the city from the first film represented with current CG tech.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 06:23 PM   #26
Christopher
Writer

My problem with Legacy is that it reflected the modern CG aesthetic -- make everything CG look as real as possible -- instead of the aesthetic of the original TRON, which was just the opposite -- to make everything, including the traditional cel animation and the live actors, look as much like CG animation as possible. TRON was essentially an animated movie (at least the Grid portions) using modified images of live actors as an element of the animation. At the time, it was impossible for CGI to resemble reality, so artists were experimenting with it as a new art form, a way to create imagery unlike anything seen before. TRON was an experiment with the new design possibilities of CG and it embraced the unreality of it. In fact, on the TRON DVD commentaries, you can hear the director of the original movie lamenting that filmmakers today have abandoned those experiments and now only use CGI to try to replicate the look of physical reality. Yet that's exactly what Legacy did. It made the Grid look like an exotic but essentially physical world, and even used a lot of physical sets and costumes with glowy bits built in, unlike the hand-animated virtual sets of the original. So it's the exact opposite aesthetic from the original, which is why to me it fails as a continuation. And that's not even counting how drab and monochrome the new Grid is. (Not to mention how wrong they get Flynn's character. He wasn't some populist rebel who wanted information to be free; on the contrary, his goal was entirely capitalist, to reclaim control of his intellectual property and the profit that came with it.)

Uprising comes closer to the aesthetic of the original, since it actually is a CGI cartoon. That's exactly what the makers of the original wanted to create but lacked the technology to achieve, so they had to try to fake it with cel animation and hand-modified images of live actors. Now we can do it for real. Personally I think Legacy should've done all the Grid sequences as full CGI in a stylized design. That would've been truer to the artistic intentions of the original. But Uprising does give us that, although I'm not crazy about the specific design style they use (particularly the ridiculously distorted female figures). Uprising still suffers from using the blander world of the sequel -- I hate it that the region beyond the city is just a lot of snowy mountains instead of the psychedelic landscape of the original -- but at least they let it look cartoony and unreal. And it is at least somewhat more colorful here and there. Plus it's nice to see that the Tron/Renegade costume (or surface texture?) is white instead of black, a nice callback to the original look. (Except I always find it silly when this guy who wants to sneak into facilities with all-black walls and floors does so wearing the only white costume in the whole Grid.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 07:00 PM   #27
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Some of the best news I've heard this week... I loved Legacy and have found it to be completely watchable time and time again... Uprising has been a pleasure to watch and unlike some, I really like the renderings of the characters. I'll admit to being an unabashed fanboy of both movies...

There are so many ways they could go with a follow up, with or without Bridges, but I'm pretty sure he'll be back in one way or another... He is literally part of the grid now and I'm thinking the next chapter will focus on the Dillingers trying to figure out a way to capture and take over the grid for their own nefarious schemes... Tron will have to be more of a focal point though, and I think that will happen...
Old December 14 2012, 07:24 PM   #28
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Another big problem with Legacy was most of the best ideas of the original were ignored. That the Grid was mirror of our world. Not a copy. That the programs were representations of their human users. There is great potential for using the Grid as a metaphor for our very fast progressing technological real world.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 08:28 PM   #29
Christopher
Writer

The idea in the original was really a rather Disneyesque, semi-mystical, fairy-tale view of computers -- that there was this whole world inside computers and programs were living things imbued with the souls of their creators. It wasn't something humans knowingly created or were even aware of until Flynn got zapped inside. It was more of an anthropomorphic cartoon metaphor for computers, the way, say, Osmosis Jones was an anthropomorphic cartoon metaphor for the interior of the human body with talking, personified immune cells and whatnot. It was also kind of a forerunner of the Digimon anime franchise, which also tends to treat the "digital world" as a parallel reality and ascribe animistic consciousness to the software within it.

But Legacy came along in an era when computers were less of a magical, exotic realm, and when the American moviegoing audience (not being prone to animism) wouldn't have been as receptive to a magical cartoon metaphor like that. So they retconned it and treated the Grid more as a computer simulation created by Flynn and its occupants as artificial intelligences he designed. It's a more science-fictional approach rather than the fantasy approach of the original. So it doesn't quite fit.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 08:47 PM   #30
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

^^ But the potential is there... I think that was Flynn's ultimate intent (bridging the gap between the digital divide, as it were... I think his vision was to have a Grid that allowed users the ultimate interface. Back when the original came out, a lot of computer users were writers... My friends who had Apple IIs and Commadors wrote programs, exactly like the characters in Tron did... Had Flynn not been trapped inside his own creation, I think his goal would have been realized and we, the people of today, wouldn't be "surface users," or just using the programs created by a handful of programmers.

The potential is there for Sam to continue his father's work in bridging that gap and allow the rest of the real world to become more intertwined with the digital world now that true AI (the ISOs) has been realized. Not that the prospect of that isn't fraught with it's own set of problems...

OR - Maybe it's just a Disney movie and I should really just relax...