Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 13 2012, 03:15 PM   #76
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Re: New JJ Abrams interview

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
No, Paramount doesn't need the kinds of folks - a real minority of fans, BTW - who are looking to be offended by interviews like this one. They're not needed at all.
But they can always use snidey cynics. These make for a great audience.
Old December 13 2012, 03:45 PM   #77
Devon
Fleet Captain

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Edited to add: It's surprising that Trek the motion picture still has bested all of them including Abrams.

I can't speak for the other numbers, but ST09's box office intake in the U.S. was $259 Million before inflation. ST:TMP bested ST09 worldwide though. But then ST really wasn't doing superb worldwide in 30 years anyway.
Old December 25 2012, 09:38 AM   #78
Rhodan
Lieutenant

Hmmm, then, as a movie fan, I am not now exactly curious about this story of melodramatic terrorist guy which happens to be set in some strange geeky setting. Trailers have been funny though, so who knows?

Seriously, even if I set aside obvious contenders for yet not shown in my country I want to see (Django unchained, Lincoln, The Master, etc.) I am more psyched for Hansel and Gretel: The Witch Hunters than for STID. But I´ll be obviously pleased if it´s actually a good film after all.

And what is Abrams saying about fandom targeting is irrelevant. There are many variations among "Star Trek fans" anyway.
Old December 25 2012, 08:47 PM   #79
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Rhodan wrote: View Post
Hmmm, then, as a movie fan, I am not now exactly curious about this story of melodramatic terrorist guy which happens to be set in some strange geeky setting. Trailers have been funny though, so who knows?

Seriously, even if I set aside obvious contenders for yet not shown in my country I want to see (Django unchained, Lincoln, The Master, etc.) I am more psyched for Hansel and Gretel: The Witch Hunters than for STID. But I´ll be obviously pleased if it´s actually a good film after all.

And what is Abrams saying about fandom targeting is irrelevant. There are many variations among "Star Trek fans" anyway.
He's talking about a specific subset though.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 10:16 PM   #80
BorgPhil
Lieutenant Commander

Xaios wrote: View Post
One thing you have to realize is that JJ isn't speaking *to* Star Trek fans in these interviews so much as he's speaking to the general movie-going audience. After all, this interview is on freaking MTV.
This is it. Look at this way, JJ wants to get as many people to watch the film as possible. He knows the Star Trek fans will watch it no matter what, so he doesn't need to encourage them to go and see it and we, as fans, should not be so precious as to not realise this.

The people he does need to attract are the non-fans, so he tells them what he has to, to get them to watch it.

When you look at all the nods to the old series in the last film, and the faithful way in which they have recreated so much of it, and the time the writers take to converse with the fans, you'd have to be absolutely bonkers to think this isn't a film for fans of Star Trek.

Remember as well, that they could have totally pissed over every fan going by just rebooting everything in the last film, but they chose not to, by coming up with a convoluted time-travel story featuring multiple universes. Who did they do that for? Not the casual movie-goer.
BorgPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 10:32 PM   #81
controlfreak
Commander

JJ seems to want to make a good film first and foremost. This is what he said about the first movie as well. Not sure why people are so bitterly offended by Abrams wanting to make a good film, but then I am not so sure why some of these people post here as they clearly seem to hate everything about Star Trek and this is supposed to be a site for fans.
Old December 26 2012, 12:35 AM   #82
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

He's entirely right, the movie isn't aimed at Star Trek fans. It's aimed at the type of person that would watch Star Trek and get bored shitless because it was slow and talky. It's aimed at the type of person that would leave the cinema, forget about the movie instantly and then go watch Transformers 2.

We now have a Star Trek franchise aimed at people who wouldn't like Star Trek. That is the root of our problems and why we're so screwed.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 03:40 AM   #83
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak

Prancer the Sith wrote: View Post
"This movie was not made for 'Star Trek' fans; it was made for movie fans.
Someone should tell this asshole to stop repeating that shit like a braindead parrot. It's annoying, and borderline disrespectful.
I applaud him for saying it. Some Trek fans need a swift kick in the nuts and to wake up and smell reality.
Old December 26 2012, 04:02 AM   #84
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Star Trek Fandom: Needlessly Taking Offense Since 1966.

You know, a lot of the folks who lay the failure of Enterprise and later Trek movies to issues of quality turn around and praise DS9 as the pinnacle of what Trek ought to be...which is fine except that they ignore the fact that the collapse of Trek's television ratings began with episode 2 of DS9 and continued on a chartable curve with DS9 and Voyager in virtual lockstep for audience loss - and all that happened in the case of Enterprise is that the decline continued on the same curve, flattening as it hit bottom.
Yup..

People think that DS9 was the pinnacle of quality Trek TV. It wasn't. For it to be qualitative, it needs to be entertaining, which entertainment should provide. DS9, VOY and ENT utterly failed in that regard. ST'09/STXI revamped the franchise by making it accessible and entertaining for everyone except the hardcore ST nerds that want cardboard sets to keep their precious authenticity.
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 04:08 AM   #85
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Deep Space Nine didn't fail as entertainment at all, it hooked me and many others for 7 long seasons. It didn't need to shine lens flare in our faces to keep us hooked at all, that's a cheap trick and treats it's audience like a group of morons.

No, it just had the confidence to tell an interesting story. In terms of villains alone, we've gone from the fascinating, morally ambiguous Gul Dukat to Eric Bana's gormless, motivationless "FIRE EVERYTHING!" caricature in the 2009 movie. It's pretty depressing.

Some of us find thinking entertaining and find noisy explosions and flirting kinda boring. I love Star Trek because it doesn't resemble all that other bland crap I avoid. JJ Abrams has made it so that Star Trek slots in with all that the lowest common denominator popcorn slush like Transformers or the latest Tom Cruise noise-fest. It's pretty irritating, I'd rather somebody else were in charge and I'm tired of fans telling me off for not liking something I've tried my hardest to accept.

I have no idea how somebody could look at The Cage, then look at the Abrams reboot and not notice a SERIOUS decline in intelligent storytelling. Enterprise and Voyager were bland Star Trek but at least they WERE Star Trek. With this new franchise I may as well have Abrams repeatedly call me an idiot while shining a torch in my eyes. It's the same experience.
Old December 26 2012, 04:15 AM   #86
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Then don't accept it and move on.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old December 26 2012, 04:17 AM   #87
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Well, this is as far as I know a forum for debate and discussion so unless a moderator/admin tells me otherwise I'll post what I like. Not liking the same movies as you doesn't make me worthy of contempt or rudeness.
Old December 26 2012, 04:26 AM   #88
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Well, this is as far as I know a forum for debate and discussion so unless a moderator/admin tells me otherwise I'll post what I like. Not liking the same movies as you doesn't make me worthy of contempt or rudeness.
Works both ways. You can stop being rude an contemptuous of people who liked it.

Not telling you what to post, but it seems to be a waste of time to spend so much time and energy on something you don't like. Me, I don't like Voyager, so I don't post there, because I cant see the point in doing so. I leave it for the people who like the show.
Old December 26 2012, 04:28 AM   #89
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I have thought the following for years, since DS9 was on the air. That show was aimed squarely at existing Trekkies. Similar to how comic fans will read multiple books within the same universe. Where even following the stories mean having a thorough knowledge of that world. Delving into the complexities. So clearly it has it fans who love it. But it was never going to appeal outside of that core fan base. Same thing with most of TNG movies and VOY and ENT.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 04:30 AM   #90
Edge of Forever
Lieutenant Junior Grade

DalekJim wrote: View Post
He's entirely right, the movie isn't aimed at Star Trek fans. It's aimed at the type of person that would watch Star Trek and get bored shitless because it was slow and talky. It's aimed at the type of person that would leave the cinema, forget about the movie instantly and then go watch Transformers 2.

We now have a Star Trek franchise aimed at people who wouldn't like Star Trek. That is the root of our problems and why we're so screwed.
Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree on this simply due to personal experience. I can't watch Transformers, fell asleep during the first one, left halfway through the second one. I grew up with Star Trek, I've been watching it since I was 3, that's 16 years where Star Trek has been a surrogate family to me and when I saw Star Trek 2009 in cinemas I loved it. Completely loved it.

Same deal with my mom, she hates all these kinds of films. Hell, she hated Iron Man, The Dark Knight and all those stuff but she loved the 2009 film. Again same with my dad, he just hates Hollywood, any film made in Hollywood he will instantly hate and pick out every bad thing about it and even he left the cinema admitting that he liked the 2009 film (although it was through gritted teeth).

To drop JJ Abrams Star Trek down to the level of Transformers is hyperbolic to say the least. You may not like it, that's your choice, but to say that JJ's Star Trek is not something that can be enjoyed by Star Trek fans and is not something made for Star Trek fans is just wrong.

It's not aimed at people who don't like Star Trek, it's just not aimed exclusively at Star Trek fans anymore and that's fine, because nothing can find success if it's aimed exclusively at one group.
Edge of Forever is offline   Reply With Quote