New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 12 2012, 05:12 PM   #16
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Re: New JJ Abrams interview

Santa Kang wrote: View Post
A semantic difference that's no difference at all.
I respectfully disagree.

Santa Kang wrote: View Post
Its a knee jerk reaction that just high lights the negative image of Star Trek "fans" and their proprietary and insular attitude.
Guilty as charged.

I'll be in my basement, if you need me.
Old December 12 2012, 05:42 PM   #17
Pondslider
Lieutenant

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Prancer the Sith wrote: View Post
"This movie was not made for 'Star Trek' fans; it was made for movie fans.
Someone should tell this asshole to stop repeating that shit like a braindead parrot. It's annoying, and borderline disrespectful.
At least he didn't take this opportunity to point out that he's always been more of a Star Wars fan than Star Trek, like he did in every single interview relating to Trek XI. Even on the DVD.
He also said that he was saw Star Trek: The Motion Picture in theaters and enjoyed it.
Pondslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 06:06 PM   #18
Jaro Stun
Captain

Someone should tell this asshole to stop repeating that shit like a braindead parrot. It's annoying, and borderline disrespectful.
I'm pretty sick of their neverending "we make Star Trek which is not really a Star Trek, so don't worry..."
Just me personally, I feel insulted when I see this.

They are trying so hard to make it NOT feel, look or watch like Star Trek.
You ask why?

Star Trek is a brand, like any other. They know, Star Trek fans will go see it regardless of anything else, just because of the two magical words in the title.

Which means all the rest of potential audience remains, which will NOT see it, just because "Star Trek is the nerdy stuff", and they must try hard to persuade them, especially by smirking on the fans of the lore they abuse.

What we get now is
- Avengers with Star Trek in the title or
- Dark Knight with Star Trek in the title
- Star Wars with Star Trek in the title, etc.
basically any movie that happened to grab a substantial audience in the past, thinking - "let's do the same thing just put the guys into geeky Trek uniforms"

I so much more appreciate the honest effort of CBS to remaster TNG and maybe later series as well. Despite S2 "disaster" they are investing into the franchise I grew to love.
What JJ is doing is just grabbing some money, here and now. You think this will re-energize Star Trek? Spawn a new series? Think again. At best, one more movie to go and we are back where we have been at the end of Enterprise.

Disclaimer: I know I will go see that movie. Because I like good movies and good scifi movies. This may be one. But by far, I don't consider this Star Trek. It is waaay something else.

Last edited by Jaro Stun; December 12 2012 at 06:18 PM.
Jaro Stun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 06:09 PM   #19
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

One thing you have to realize is that JJ isn't speaking *to* Star Trek fans in these interviews so much as he's speaking to the general movie-going audience. After all, this interview is on freaking MTV.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 06:11 PM   #20
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Bishop76 wrote: View Post
Not sure how it's disrespectful.
I said BORDERLINE disrespectful, and that was mainly my irritation speaking. There's a difference between "not JUST for fans", and "not for fans". The fact that this movie is meant for general audiences doesn't bother me one bit. What bothers me is Abrams repeating the same shit over and over again, like it's some kind of a mantra, devised to rid the franchise of the whole "uncool" syfy basement-fanboy nerd stigma.

Bishop76 wrote: View Post
Also, I've seen what fans want on this board and it's usually frighteningly bad.
No kiddin'.

What I find the most ridiculous is how many fans would rather watch another 25 seasons of Voyager, with the same old rehashed done-to-death shitty plots, than have it's precious Star Trek go a little mainstream.

This is why Trek 09 was successful when the TNG movies bombed. The TNG movies were too much of a niche market, only appealing to die hard TNG fans.
TNG movies bombed because they were basically just mediocre TV episodes, that accidentally made their way to the big screens. Written by people who lost their "mojo" years ago, directed by people who didn't care enough, produced on a budget ridiculously low for today's standards.

It's exactly why ENT crashed and burned as well.
Did you miss the part at the end, where he specifically states that he did put fanwanky winks and nods in the film? That's to show respect for the longtime fans. I think you take his statement wrong, considering he included this statement as well.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 06:26 PM   #21
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Jaro Stun wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sick of their neverending "we make Star Trek which is not really a Star Trek, so don't worry..."
Just me personally, I feel insulted when I see this.

They are trying so hard to make it NOT feel, look or watch like Star Trek.
You ask why?

Star Trek is a brand, like any other. They know, Star Trek fans will go see it regardless of anything else, just because of the two magical words in the title.

Which means all the rest of potential audience remains, which will NOT see it, just because "Star Trek is the nerdy stuff", and they must try hard to persuade them, especially by smirking on the fans of the lore they abuse.

What we get now is
- Avengers with Star Trek in the title or
- Dark Knight with Star Trek in the title
- Star Wars with Star Trek in the title, etc.
basically any movie that happened to grab a substantial audience in the past, thinking - "let's do the same thing just put the guys into geeky Trek uniforms"

I so much more appreciate the honest effort of CBS to remaster TNG and maybe later series as well. Despite S2 "disaster" they are investing into the franchise I grew to love.
What JJ is doing is just grabbing some money, here and now. You think this will re-energize Star Trek? Spawn a new series? Think again. At best, one more movie to go and we are back where we have been at the end of Enterprise.

Disclaimer: I know I will go see that movie. Because I like good movies and good scifi movies. This may be one. But by far, I don't consider this Star Trek. It is waaay something else.
Its Star Trek. Just not the narrow minded cliquey Star Trek that only exists in the insular fanboy world. Star Trek is a very broad concept, there is room for all sorts of storytelling in it .
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 06:32 PM   #22
Flake
Commodore

Enterprise.... check
Kirk, Spock & McCoy.... check
Warp Speed... check
Scotty cannae take anymore.... check
Prime Directive, Klingons, Romulans, Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Orion Slave Girls, bridge, viewscreen, transporters, phasers, flip up communicators, Vulcans, Captain Pike.

Sure I've missed a lot... but seems like Star Trek to me. Chill out!
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 06:55 PM   #23
Romulan_spy
Commodore

[QUOTE=Santa Kang;7387987]
Jaro Stun wrote: View Post
Its Star Trek. Just not the narrow minded cliquey Star Trek that only exists in the insular fanboy world. Star Trek is a very broad concept, there is room for all sorts of storytelling in it .
THIS.
Romulan_spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 07:03 PM   #24
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Flake wrote: View Post
Enterprise.... check
Kirk, Spock & McCoy.... check
Warp Speed... check
Scotty cannae take anymore.... check
Prime Directive, Klingons, Romulans, Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Orion Slave Girls, bridge, viewscreen, transporters, phasers, flip up communicators, Vulcans, Captain Pike.

Sure I've missed a lot... but seems like Star Trek to me. Chill out!
http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?p=2956208#post2956208

Old December 12 2012, 08:18 PM   #25
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Star Trek Fandom: Needlessly Taking Offense Since 1966.

You know, a lot of the folks who lay the failure of Enterprise and later Trek movies to issues of quality turn around and praise DS9 as the pinnacle of what Trek ought to be...which is fine except that they ignore the fact that the collapse of Trek's television ratings began with episode 2 of DS9 and continued on a chartable curve with DS9 and Voyager in virtual lockstep for audience loss - and all that happened in the case of Enterprise is that the decline continued on the same curve, flattening as it hit bottom.

The plain fact is that oldTrek was worn out as far as any appeal to viewers beyond the base is concerned. It couldn't be "tweaked" or freshened up enough to make it commercially viable again. Paramount was going to go one of two ways with it: a major change in direction and treatment, or burning off the value of the trademarks on the cheap. I'm certainly glad they decided to risk a lot of money on the former approach, and thrilled that they're succeeding.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 08:22 PM   #26
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

I don't understand why you feel that way. Enterprise was an abject ratings disaster for the franchise and Nemesis and Insurrection were both lousy films - the former, losing money for Paramount - the first time in the history of Trek films.

Seriously man, in order to save the franchise change was what was needed and pleasing Trek fans wasn't even in the top 10 of Paramount's considerations.

I don't blame him quite frankly for repeating that line because he's obviously asked ad nausea about every piece of canon related to earlier trek and why he's failing to incorporate small details into this re-boot of the franchise.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 08:46 PM   #27
Mach5
Rear Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
I don't understand why you feel that way.
That much is obvious, because from what you've said in the rest of your post, it's clear that you got me all wrong.
Old December 12 2012, 08:48 PM   #28
Jeyl
Commodore

What's a movie fan?

Is a movie fan someone who likes all movies? If that’s the case, why wouldn’t they like a movie made for Star Trek fans? Or do they just like movies that are original? That can’t be the case because this movie is a sequel to a movie based off of a TV series. Is it because movie fans don’t want to be hindered by anything that requires previous viewing? If that’s so, why do a lot of sequels that continue the events of the last movie manage to gross more than the previous one did? Are movie fans the type of fans who prefer to be entertained? If that's the case, how come we get movies that don't get good reviews? How come one film will be critically acclaimed yet bomb at the box office, yet a film that was universally panned becomes one of the highest grossing films of the year? Are movie fans selective? If movie fans are selective, shouldn't he have used a more specific term? I seriously doubt you can make a movie that can appeal to everyone.

Why couldn’t JJ have just said “I want to make a good movie set in the Star Trek universe” rather than being so upfront about not giving a crap about Star Trek fans? Does JJ think that Star Trek fans prefer their movies to be bad? I don't think so because Star Trek V and Nemesis bombed. Nemesis was practically built with the intention of making it more mainstream and it was still panned by movie and star trek fans alike. So why should movie fans get a shout out but Star Trek fans get the dissing?

…………What if a Movie fan is a Star Trek fan?
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 08:54 PM   #29
Flake
Commodore

Well its like comic book movies really. I have never actually read the comics and never got really into the universe these comic book heroes inhabit. Undoubtedly these hollywood tentpole movies are pissing all over canon created in these comic books and somewhere on the interwebs the comic book geeks are no doubt up in arms about god knows what.

Trek fans are no different but what I do know is that if you listen to these hardcore fans your movie is probably gonna suck. 99% of people are not aware that Chekov should be like 10 years old in the reboot, what I do know is that people watching a movie without Chekov will think... 'Where the fuck is Chekov?!' (Oh well, you know, its 2258 and hes...alaaalla...who cares, really?) etc :P
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 09:04 PM   #30
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

It's really rather simple.
He's just telling all the people who don't speak Klingon or hang around various TrekBBSes or don't know who farted and when in an episode that aired in 1967 that these movies he's making, you can enjoy them coming in fresh and without previously knowing anything about Trek.
And if you happen to know who farted in 1967, there are also plenty of things for you to enjoy too. If you're not too busy getting offended by nonsense and by picking and choosing quotes.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote