Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 27 2012, 07:21 AM   #196
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: New JJ Abrams interview

Sure, let's go with those.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 07:44 AM   #197
BeatleJWOL
Commander

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

hmm.

Is this thread worthy of a "well, that escalated quickly" or a "I like where this thread is going" meme now?
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 08:35 AM   #198
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

DalekJim wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I'm sorry, I'm not sure I'm following you: are you really offering Prometheus as an example of smart science-fiction while mocking Star Trek?
Yes, I think Prometheus clearly resembles the type of film I'd rather Jar Jar Abrams be making despite it's many flaws. Unlike the 2009 JJ-Trek reboot, it deals with themes of exploration, mysterious alien life, new civilisations, what it means to be human and all that stuff I like in Trek.

All of these were absent in 2009 JJ-Trek and it looks like we're getting more of the same in the next movie. Which fans are apparently cool with as long as it makes money.
^This is how I know you are just posting to get people riled up. Prometheus was better that ST09? I am guessing next thing you'll say that NuBSG was better than any and all Trek?
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 10:08 AM   #199
Dukhat
Commodore

^I don't think he'll be saying much of anything now that Dennis called him out on his BS.
Old December 27 2012, 10:16 AM   #200
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Yes. I claimed that Prometheus was a better film than Trek 09 just to get a reaction. I didn't come here for people to civilly debate my points, I came here to be stalked, followed to other threads and insulted for pages on end until we're so far off topic we may as well be discussing the 1980s erotic thriller Body Double.

So as pointless as this has all been, I say we reconvene when the next bit of movie news comes out.

Last edited by DalekJim; December 27 2012 at 10:30 AM.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 02:35 PM   #201
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

People simply won't buy tickets for a sci-fi space movie driven by ideas.
Prometheus was a box office success this year.
Hmmm... ST09, $150Million budget, $297Million Domestic gross. Prometheus $130Million budget, $126Million Domestic Gross (Yes, Prometheus did higher International, but, there is a much smaller cut for the Studios of International then Domestic). There weren't many reviews here nor other sites I visit (of other flavors of SciFi/Fantsy) that were raving about how good Prometheus was. Rotten Tomatoes has Prometheus at 74/72, and ST09 at 95/91.

I'm not sure how else to rate success, but, ST09 beats Prometheus in all these categories
If people are too thick to enjoy a proper Star Trek movie then don't cater to them by giving them something else and slapping the Star Trek name on it. It's just alienated the fans.
I'd prefer you bought me dinner first before speaking so intimately about my manhood

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; December 27 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 03:52 PM   #202
Balrog
Commodore

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
I don't think so. Both are crappy movies but Nemesis didn't have Nero in it, didn't wave lens flare in my face all the time and at least attempted to tell a story.
But...but...you loved Abrams's first Trek movie!

Loved it, the core 3 were perfectly recast.
I was really not expecting the film to do this well, brilliant. Trek is back and bigger than ever!

Tell us, at what point after 2009 did you first notice the lens flare problem?

If you really perceived Star Trek as being that bad a movie, you'd probably have noticed it at the time you actually saw it. Your opinion, clearly, has evolved - so there's no excuse at all for you to criticize and dismiss the movie and people who like it, because you certainly remember being a fan of it yourself at one point.

Was someone here talking about "self-loathing," or something?
This is one of them paradox thingies, right?
Old December 27 2012, 03:55 PM   #203
Will Riker
Ensign

Set Harth wrote: View Post
This is what we call "an oldie but a goodie" - one of the most traditional lies told about film. It gets points for its antiquity if nothing else. Just because you didn't like a film's plot doesn't mean that the film had no plot; generally speaking, not liking something does not mean it fails to exist.
There was a plot, just not a very good one. I like JJ Abrams, but often times he tries to cover up a very weak story/script with a visually stunning look. His idol Steven Spielberg did this with Jurassic Park, and I think often times it's Abram's fallback.

This is how I think ST09 differs from any of the Next Gen movies, it's execution vs. story. I think the Next Gen movies had solid premises and had really good stories they wanted to tell. All of them, Generations to Nemesis had a really amazing story in there. Other than First Contact, where they fell short was execution. I respect the story they were trying to tell, but everything from the script to the acting to the editing were very poor. Had Nemesis or any of the Next Gen movies been executed by JJ Abrams or Matthew Vaughn or another really solid director, I think we would have had some really powerful movies that would have appealed to a broader audience.

Then you have ST09. It was executed masterfully. It's stunningly beautiful, the score is top notch, the acting is on point (especially Karl Urban), etc. Where it falls flat is the story they're trying to tell. It's not surprising. It's the same writers that made Prometheus and the transformers movies fall flat. Even the most emotionally gripping parts of the movie were flat (Spock's mother dying, Kirk gaining control of the Enterprise, etc.). The Kelvin sequence was amazing and powerful, but the movie never again reached that kind of emotion. It is what it is, it's a popcorn movie. I enjoyed the movie from that perspective and I'm happy with the success and relevance Trek is once again having. There have been so many wonderful, emotional, thought provoking stories in ST that have been told and that is the aspect I was disappointed with ST09.
Will Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 04:00 PM   #204
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yes. I claimed that Prometheus was a better film than Trek 09 just to get a reaction. I didn't come here for people to civilly debate my points...
Okay, but what about that recasting in Abrams's first Star Trek movie? I'd have to agree with you when you said it was perfect. I'd also agree with you that the movie was "brilliant" and made Trek "bigger than ever."
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 04:06 PM   #205
Balrog
Commodore

Yes. I claimed that Prometheus was a better film than Trek 09 just to get a reaction. I didn't come here for people to civilly debate my points, I came here to be stalked, followed to other threads and insulted for pages on end until we're so far off topic we may as well be discussing the 1980s erotic thriller Body Double.

So as pointless as this has all been, I say we reconvene when the next bit of movie news comes out.
See you then!

Old December 27 2012, 04:10 PM   #206
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Will Riker wrote: View Post
Even the most emotionally gripping parts of the movie were flat (Spock's mother dying, Kirk gaining control of the Enterprise, etc.).
I must strongly disagree with you there. Spock's mother dying was a huge gut-punch for me.
Old December 27 2012, 04:23 PM   #207
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

What impressed me when I saw the movie on opening night were the strong emotional responses from the audience - particularly the opening sequence as Kirk's parents are talking over the comm. People were really getting into it, clearly moved - that's not something I used to seeing at a Star Trek movie.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 05:23 PM   #208
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Are people really baffled and shocked by someone changing their opinion years later? There's plenty of things I like now that I didn't ten years ago (and things I liked then that I don't like now) and I suspect it'll be the same five years later. Repeat viewings can show a turd turn out to be golden and gold turn out to be a turd. I don't know why it's the funniest thing in the world that a guy no longer likes a movie he liked years ago.
Old December 27 2012, 05:26 PM   #209
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
Repeat viewings can show a turd turn out to be golden and gold turn out to be a turd.
Isn't it strange that this never happens with actual gold and turds?
Old December 27 2012, 05:44 PM   #210
lurok
Commodore

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
Are people really baffled and shocked by someone changing their opinion years later?...
Not at all. I'm sure it happens a lot. But people usually state upfront that they've changed their opinions. I was meh about The Matrix when first saw as thought it derivative and over-hyped but it is now a guilty pleasure. I also think ST'09 is weak in several areas but not in casting, energy, acting or emotion.

Last edited by lurok; December 27 2012 at 06:09 PM.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote