Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 26 2012, 09:30 PM   #181
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: New JJ Abrams interview

controlfreak wrote: View Post
Devon wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
A very true observation of modern Trek fandom. You get these self-loathing Trekkies that are desperate
"as it's pointless turning this in to a flame war." - DalekJim

"Star Trek is all about embracing different ideas" - DalekJim

I won't be pressured by the mainstream in to thinking that the 2009 film is a clever movie. It isn't.

"Star Trek is all about embracing different ideas
" - DalekJim
Hahahaha... Hilarious because it epitomizes the "True Fan!!"
Also less of this. No one needs to be taking pokes at other fans or groups of fans.

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
You could probably drop the repeating "Jar Jar Abrams" gibe, too, and I'll bet no one would miss it.
Not to seem dumb but what forum rule would that be breaking exactly? Unless there's a genuine rule about not merging Star Wars and Star Trek related names together.
No, I don't believe you're dumb at all. You'll get it if you put your mind to it.
Old December 26 2012, 09:49 PM   #182
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I think you've lost the argument when you say that Nemesis is a better movie...
Old December 26 2012, 09:53 PM   #183
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
I don't think so. Both are crappy movies but Nemesis didn't have Nero in it, didn't wave lens flare in my face all the time and at least attempted to tell a story.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 10:47 PM   #184
KirkusOveractus
Captain

Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus

BillJ wrote: View Post
I don't think so. Both are crappy movies but Nemesis didn't have Nero in it, didn't wave lens flare in my face all the time and at least attempted to tell a story.
...but Nemesis didn't have anyone in the theatre, either. Both are crappy movies in your opinion, but box office and general movie going consensus (including reviews in media) say otherwise as to both being crappy.
KirkusOveractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 10:52 PM   #185
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

"THERE. IS. NO. PLOT!"
This is what we call "an oldie but a goodie" - one of the most traditional lies told about film. It gets points for its antiquity if nothing else. Just because you didn't like a film's plot doesn't mean that the film had no plot; generally speaking, not liking something does not mean it fails to exist.
Old December 26 2012, 11:24 PM   #186
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Set Harth wrote: View Post
"THERE. IS. NO. PLOT!"
This is what we call "an oldie but a goodie" - one of the most traditional lies told about film. It gets points for its antiquity if nothing else. Just because you didn't like a film's plot doesn't mean that the film had no plot; generally speaking, not liking something does not mean it fails to exist.
Well... yes, he's not saying that the film is an art film tone piece where the film is nothing but symbolic images accompanied by ambient music; it's short hand for saying that the film's plot is useless and irrelevant. It jumps from set piece to set piece be it being attacked by a monster on an ice planet or Uhura and Spock snogging and the film's plot tries to provide explanations for it, but that the explanations are so poor and the jumping-from-set-pieces so obvious that the plot may as well not exist for all it is being paid attention to (which is completely different to a film where the plot is everything and yet is genuinely bad).
Old December 26 2012, 11:25 PM   #187
YARN
Fleet Captain

Franklin wrote: View Post
Well, it is a trite thing for J.J. to say, but yes, it's also a necessary thing to say.
No, it isn't necessary. The 09 film succeeded. The public was satisfied and the fans didn't storm off. There is no need to say that it is not made for fans rather than saying it's not made just for fans, a locution which gives the fans some love too.

If "Star Trek" is going to continue to be successful, it needs to regrow a fan base.
Again, the '09 film succeeded. There is no need to jettison or disavow the existing fan base in the hopes of growing a new one.

Fandom is unlikely to ever be the same, too. It will be a more casual acquaintance with Trek.
So, what is the point of attempting to regrow the fan base if there will never be another fan base? Why go to so much trouble for casual acquaintances who don't really care either way?

The expedient hyper-adaptationalist argument (i.e., the present stewards of the franchise should only concern themselves with raking in $$$ and pleasing new viewers, because Trek must survive no matter what!), is rather ridiculous; the very reason one would even care about whether Star Trek survives, would be because one believed there is something there worth saving, that there is something special about Trek. But to try to mindle$$ly and pragmatically save Trek without any concern about its "specialness" undercuts emotional warrant of the argument. If what were saved only shared a passing resemblance to the former stories, why worry about saving it at all costs? Who cares if Star Trek survives in name only?

The preceding is NOT to say that this is what the filmmakers are doing. They have worked hard to honor the past, recapture some of the magic, and create elbow room for new stories. Rather, this criticism is directed at blind apologists who keep arguing that no price is to high to save the franchise.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 11:27 PM   #188
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

But...but...you loved Abrams's first Trek movie!

Loved it, the core 3 were perfectly recast.
I was really not expecting the film to do this well, brilliant. Trek is back and bigger than ever!

Tell us, at what point after 2009 did you first notice the lens flare problem?

If you really perceived Star Trek as being that bad a movie, you'd probably have noticed it at the time you actually saw it. Your opinion, clearly, has evolved - so there's no excuse at all for you to criticize and dismiss the movie and people who like it, because you certainly remember being a fan of it yourself at one point.

Was someone here talking about "self-loathing," or something?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 11:30 PM   #189
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post

I was really not expecting the film to do this well, brilliant. Trek is back and bigger than ever!

Ouch!
Old December 26 2012, 11:32 PM   #190
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

If you really perceived Star Trek as being that bad a movie, you'd probably have noticed it at the time you actually saw it. Your opinion, clearly, has evolved - so there's no excuse at all for you to criticize and dismiss the movie and people who like it, because you certainly remember being a fan of it yourself at one point.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 11:53 PM   #191
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Nagisa Furukawa wrote:
It jumps from set piece to set piece be it being attacked by a monster on an ice planet or Uhura and Spock snogging and the film's plot tries to provide explanations for it, but that the explanations are so poor
I don't see what kind of "explanations" are required for these things that weren't presented in the film. In particular, Uhura and Spock. What about that needs to be explained?
Old December 27 2012, 01:59 AM   #192
Borgminister

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post

Oops!
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 02:29 AM   #193
Locutus of Bored
No Solicitors!

And scene.

The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 03:13 AM   #194
Franklin
Rear Admiral

YARN wrote: View Post
Well, it is a trite thing for J.J. to say, but yes, it's also a necessary thing to say.
No, it isn't necessary. The 09 film succeeded. The public was satisfied and the fans didn't storm off. There is no need to say that it is not made for fans rather than saying it's not made just for fans, a locution which gives the fans some love too.

If "Star Trek" is going to continue to be successful, it needs to regrow a fan base.
Again, the '09 film succeeded. There is no need to jettison or disavow the existing fan base in the hopes of growing a new one.

Fandom is unlikely to ever be the same, too. It will be a more casual acquaintance with Trek.
So, what is the point of attempting to regrow the fan base if there will never be another fan base? Why go to so much trouble for casual acquaintances who don't really care either way?

The expedient hyper-adaptationalist argument (i.e., the present stewards of the franchise should only concern themselves with raking in $$$ and pleasing new viewers, because Trek must survive no matter what!), is rather ridiculous; the very reason one would even care about whether Star Trek survives, would be because one believed there is something there worth saving, that there is something special about Trek. But to try to mindle$$ly and pragmatically save Trek without any concern about its "specialness" undercuts emotional warrant of the argument. If what were saved only shared a passing resemblance to the former stories, why worry about saving it at all costs? Who cares if Star Trek survives in name only?

The preceding is NOT to say that this is what the filmmakers are doing. They have worked hard to honor the past, recapture some of the magic, and create elbow room for new stories. Rather, this criticism is directed at blind apologists who keep arguing that no price is to high to save the franchise.
I think you may have misread my post a bit. I was thrilled by how true Abrams stayed to the characters and setting of TOS while also giving it a new feel.

I believe Abrams succeeded in breathing life and excitement into a franchise that was dormant at best and comatose at worse. He made it fun, again. I can't imagine anyone in Hollywood doing as well as he did. A remake of Trek in the wrong hands could've been a remarkable failure.

As far as the fan base goes, it was already shrinking down to nothing. So, if you lose one old fan whose "childhood has been raped" by Abrams, you hope to gain two more through an open-minded look at the high quality of the product. They can be completely new to Trek or old fans who had just become jaded over time (like me).

I meant that fanhood in Trek will never again be like it was in the 1970s and 1980s. Trek won't be as prolific, and folks won't be so slavishly devoted to it. That period was the golden age for Trek fandom.
Old December 27 2012, 06:18 AM   #195
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Maybe this dude was hacked? Maybe it's an early April Fool's?

Multiple Personality Disorder?