RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,784
Posts: 5,217,388
Members: 24,217
Currently online: 783
Newest member: davestar057

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 26 2012, 09:30 PM   #181
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: New JJ Abrams interview

controlfreak wrote: View Post
Devon wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
A very true observation of modern Trek fandom. You get these self-loathing Trekkies that are desperate
"as it's pointless turning this in to a flame war." - DalekJim

"Star Trek is all about embracing different ideas" - DalekJim

I won't be pressured by the mainstream in to thinking that the 2009 film is a clever movie. It isn't.

"Star Trek is all about embracing different ideas
" - DalekJim
Hahahaha... Hilarious because it epitomizes the "True Fan!!"
Also less of this. No one needs to be taking pokes at other fans or groups of fans.

DalekJim wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
You could probably drop the repeating "Jar Jar Abrams" gibe, too, and I'll bet no one would miss it.
Not to seem dumb but what forum rule would that be breaking exactly? Unless there's a genuine rule about not merging Star Wars and Star Trek related names together.
No, I don't believe you're dumb at all. You'll get it if you put your mind to it.
__________________
"If the man doesn't believe as we do, we say he is a crank and that settles it. I mean it does nowadays, because we can't burn him."
— Mark Twain, from Following the Equator
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 09:49 PM   #182
BillJ
Admiral
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: New JJ Abrams interview

I think you've lost the argument when you say that Nemesis is a better movie...
__________________
I'm not popular enough to be different! - Homer Simpson
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 09:53 PM   #183
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: New JJ Abrams interview

BillJ wrote: View Post
I think you've lost the argument when you say that Nemesis is a better movie...
I don't think so. Both are crappy movies but Nemesis didn't have Nero in it, didn't wave lens flare in my face all the time and at least attempted to tell a story.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 10:47 PM   #184
KirkusOveractus
Captain
 
KirkusOveractus's Avatar
 
Location: Ambler, PA
Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus
Re: New JJ Abrams interview

DalekJim wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
I think you've lost the argument when you say that Nemesis is a better movie...
I don't think so. Both are crappy movies but Nemesis didn't have Nero in it, didn't wave lens flare in my face all the time and at least attempted to tell a story.
...but Nemesis didn't have anyone in the theatre, either. Both are crappy movies in your opinion, but box office and general movie going consensus (including reviews in media) say otherwise as to both being crappy.
KirkusOveractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 10:52 PM   #185
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey Falls
Re: New JJ Abrams interview

DalekJim wrote: View Post
"THERE. IS. NO. PLOT!"
This is what we call "an oldie but a goodie" - one of the most traditional lies told about film. It gets points for its antiquity if nothing else. Just because you didn't like a film's plot doesn't mean that the film had no plot; generally speaking, not liking something does not mean it fails to exist.
__________________
"In the future... do I make it?"
"No."
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 11:24 PM   #186
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander
 
Nagisa Furukawa's Avatar
 
Re: New JJ Abrams interview

Set Harth wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
"THERE. IS. NO. PLOT!"
This is what we call "an oldie but a goodie" - one of the most traditional lies told about film. It gets points for its antiquity if nothing else. Just because you didn't like a film's plot doesn't mean that the film had no plot; generally speaking, not liking something does not mean it fails to exist.
Well... yes, he's not saying that the film is an art film tone piece where the film is nothing but symbolic images accompanied by ambient music; it's short hand for saying that the film's plot is useless and irrelevant. It jumps from set piece to set piece be it being attacked by a monster on an ice planet or Uhura and Spock snogging and the film's plot tries to provide explanations for it, but that the explanations are so poor and the jumping-from-set-pieces so obvious that the plot may as well not exist for all it is being paid attention to (which is completely different to a film where the plot is everything and yet is genuinely bad).
__________________
I am the one who guided you this far.
Nagisa Furukawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 11:25 PM   #187
YARN
Fleet Captain
 
YARN's Avatar
 
Re: New JJ Abrams interview

Franklin wrote: View Post
Well, it is a trite thing for J.J. to say, but yes, it's also a necessary thing to say.
No, it isn't necessary. The 09 film succeeded. The public was satisfied and the fans didn't storm off. There is no need to say that it is not made for fans rather than saying it's not made just for fans, a locution which gives the fans some love too.

Franklin wrote: View Post
If "Star Trek" is going to continue to be successful, it needs to regrow a fan base.
Again, the '09 film succeeded. There is no need to jettison or disavow the existing fan base in the hopes of growing a new one.

Franklin wrote: View Post
Fandom is unlikely to ever be the same, too. It will be a more casual acquaintance with Trek.
So, what is the point of attempting to regrow the fan base if there will never be another fan base? Why go to so much trouble for casual acquaintances who don't really care either way?

___________________________

The expedient hyper-adaptationalist argument (i.e., the present stewards of the franchise should only concern themselves with raking in $$$ and pleasing new viewers, because Trek must survive no matter what!), is rather ridiculous; the very reason one would even care about whether Star Trek survives, would be because one believed there is something there worth saving, that there is something special about Trek. But to try to mindle$$ly and pragmatically save Trek without any concern about its "specialness" undercuts emotional warrant of the argument. If what were saved only shared a passing resemblance to the former stories, why worry about saving it at all costs? Who cares if Star Trek survives in name only?

The preceding is NOT to say that this is what the filmmakers are doing. They have worked hard to honor the past, recapture some of the magic, and create elbow room for new stories. Rather, this criticism is directed at blind apologists who keep arguing that no price is to high to save the franchise.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 11:27 PM   #188
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend
 
Re: New JJ Abrams interview

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I don't think so. Both are crappy movies but Nemesis didn't have Nero in it, didn't wave lens flare in my face all the time and at least attempted to tell a story.
But...but...you loved Abrams's first Trek movie!

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Loved it, the core 3 were perfectly recast.
DalekJim wrote: View Post
I was really not expecting the film to do this well, brilliant. Trek is back and bigger than ever!


Tell us, at what point after 2009 did you first notice the lens flare problem?

If you really perceived Star Trek as being that bad a movie, you'd probably have noticed it at the time you actually saw it. Your opinion, clearly, has evolved - so there's no excuse at all for you to criticize and dismiss the movie and people who like it, because you certainly remember being a fan of it yourself at one point.

Was someone here talking about "self-loathing," or something?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 11:30 PM   #189
BillJ
Admiral
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: New JJ Abrams interview

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
I don't think so. Both are crappy movies but Nemesis didn't have Nero in it, didn't wave lens flare in my face all the time and at least attempted to tell a story.
But...but...you loved Abrams's first Trek movie!

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I was really not expecting the film to do this well, brilliant. Trek is back and bigger than ever!


Tell us, at what point after 2009 did you first notice the lens flare problem?
Ouch!
__________________
I'm not popular enough to be different! - Homer Simpson
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 11:32 PM   #190
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral
 
SalvorHardin's Avatar
 
Location: Star's End
View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: New JJ Abrams interview

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
I don't think so. Both are crappy movies but Nemesis didn't have Nero in it, didn't wave lens flare in my face all the time and at least attempted to tell a story.
But...but...you loved Abrams's first Trek movie!

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Loved it, the core 3 were perfectly recast.
DalekJim wrote: View Post
I was really not expecting the film to do this well, brilliant. Trek is back and bigger than ever!


Tell us, at what point after 2009 did you first notice the lens flare problem?

If you really perceived Star Trek as being that bad a movie, you'd probably have noticed it at the time you actually saw it. Your opinion, clearly, has evolved - so there's no excuse at all for you to criticize and dismiss the movie and people who like it, because you certainly remember being a fan of it yourself at one point.

Was someone here talking about "self-loathing," or something?
SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 11:53 PM   #191
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Gallifrey Falls
Re: New JJ Abrams interview

Nagisa Furukawa wrote:
It jumps from set piece to set piece be it being attacked by a monster on an ice planet or Uhura and Spock snogging and the film's plot tries to provide explanations for it, but that the explanations are so poor
I don't see what kind of "explanations" are required for these things that weren't presented in the film. In particular, Uhura and Spock. What about that needs to be explained?
__________________
"In the future... do I make it?"
"No."
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 01:59 AM   #192
Borgminister
Moderator
 
Location: California
Re: New JJ Abrams interview

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
I don't think so. Both are crappy movies but Nemesis didn't have Nero in it, didn't wave lens flare in my face all the time and at least attempted to tell a story.
But...but...you loved Abrams's first Trek movie!

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I was really not expecting the film to do this well, brilliant. Trek is back and bigger than ever!


Tell us, at what point after 2009 did you first notice the lens flare problem?

If you really perceived Star Trek as being that bad a movie, you'd probably have noticed it at the time you actually saw it. Your opinion, clearly, has evolved - so there's no excuse at all for you to criticize and dismiss the movie and people who like it, because you certainly remember being a fan of it yourself at one point.

Was someone here talking about "self-loathing," or something?
Oops!
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 02:29 AM   #193
Locutus of Bored
No Solicitors!
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Re: New JJ Abrams interview

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
I don't think so. Both are crappy movies but Nemesis didn't have Nero in it, didn't wave lens flare in my face all the time and at least attempted to tell a story.
But...but...you loved Abrams's first Trek movie!

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Loved it, the core 3 were perfectly recast.
DalekJim wrote: View Post
I was really not expecting the film to do this well, brilliant. Trek is back and bigger than ever!


Tell us, at what point after 2009 did you first notice the lens flare problem?

If you really perceived Star Trek as being that bad a movie, you'd probably have noticed it at the time you actually saw it. Your opinion, clearly, has evolved - so there's no excuse at all for you to criticize and dismiss the movie and people who like it, because you certainly remember being a fan of it yourself at one point.

Was someone here talking about "self-loathing," or something?


And scene.

__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 03:13 AM   #194
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: New JJ Abrams interview

YARN wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post
Well, it is a trite thing for J.J. to say, but yes, it's also a necessary thing to say.
No, it isn't necessary. The 09 film succeeded. The public was satisfied and the fans didn't storm off. There is no need to say that it is not made for fans rather than saying it's not made just for fans, a locution which gives the fans some love too.

Franklin wrote: View Post
If "Star Trek" is going to continue to be successful, it needs to regrow a fan base.
Again, the '09 film succeeded. There is no need to jettison or disavow the existing fan base in the hopes of growing a new one.

Franklin wrote: View Post
Fandom is unlikely to ever be the same, too. It will be a more casual acquaintance with Trek.
So, what is the point of attempting to regrow the fan base if there will never be another fan base? Why go to so much trouble for casual acquaintances who don't really care either way?

___________________________

The expedient hyper-adaptationalist argument (i.e., the present stewards of the franchise should only concern themselves with raking in $$$ and pleasing new viewers, because Trek must survive no matter what!), is rather ridiculous; the very reason one would even care about whether Star Trek survives, would be because one believed there is something there worth saving, that there is something special about Trek. But to try to mindle$$ly and pragmatically save Trek without any concern about its "specialness" undercuts emotional warrant of the argument. If what were saved only shared a passing resemblance to the former stories, why worry about saving it at all costs? Who cares if Star Trek survives in name only?

The preceding is NOT to say that this is what the filmmakers are doing. They have worked hard to honor the past, recapture some of the magic, and create elbow room for new stories. Rather, this criticism is directed at blind apologists who keep arguing that no price is to high to save the franchise.
I think you may have misread my post a bit. I was thrilled by how true Abrams stayed to the characters and setting of TOS while also giving it a new feel.

I believe Abrams succeeded in breathing life and excitement into a franchise that was dormant at best and comatose at worse. He made it fun, again. I can't imagine anyone in Hollywood doing as well as he did. A remake of Trek in the wrong hands could've been a remarkable failure.

As far as the fan base goes, it was already shrinking down to nothing. So, if you lose one old fan whose "childhood has been raped" by Abrams, you hope to gain two more through an open-minded look at the high quality of the product. They can be completely new to Trek or old fans who had just become jaded over time (like me).

I meant that fanhood in Trek will never again be like it was in the 1970s and 1980s. Trek won't be as prolific, and folks won't be so slavishly devoted to it. That period was the golden age for Trek fandom.
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 06:18 AM   #195
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain
 
Kruezerman's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: New JJ Abrams interview

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
I don't think so. Both are crappy movies but Nemesis didn't have Nero in it, didn't wave lens flare in my face all the time and at least attempted to tell a story.
But...but...you loved Abrams's first Trek movie!

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Loved it, the core 3 were perfectly recast.
DalekJim wrote: View Post
I was really not expecting the film to do this well, brilliant. Trek is back and bigger than ever!


Tell us, at what point after 2009 did you first notice the lens flare problem?

If you really perceived Star Trek as being that bad a movie, you'd probably have noticed it at the time you actually saw it. Your opinion, clearly, has evolved - so there's no excuse at all for you to criticize and dismiss the movie and people who like it, because you certainly remember being a fan of it yourself at one point.

Was someone here talking about "self-loathing," or something?
Maybe this dude was hacked? Maybe it's an early April Fool's?

Multiple Personality Disorder?
__________________
The self proclaimed Angry Mexican man of TNZ. You're welcome.
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.