TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old December 14 2012, 04:09 AM   #1
FatherRob
Rear Admiral

Location: Citizen of the Kingdom of God (Living in Bargersville, IN)
Enterprise B Saucer Alternate Explanation

So, I am working on the 1:1000 scale Enterprise B model, but am building it with TOS livery. I want to find a different use for the saucer impulse engines besides a shuttlebay. Any thoughts on what the saucer extensions could be? I thought about a set of vacuum experiment areas, but they are way too big. Can't think of any other thoughts. Need to have some idea, as I need to think of what to scratchbuild to cover the exhaust ports.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Rob+
Old December 14 2012, 04:45 AM   #2
blssdwlf
Commodore

Re: Enterprise B Saucer Alternate Explanation

Hmm. Howabout:

Cover over the grills and make it part of the hull and add small windows? Or even large rec deck windows ala TMP? You could make one side a rec area and the other a standard living quarters.

Cover the back and place on top a bunch of covers for some vertical launch system?

Good luck in whatever you come up with
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 03:10 PM   #3
FatherRob
Rear Admiral

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
Hmm. Howabout:

Cover over the grills and make it part of the hull and add small windows? Or even large rec deck windows ala TMP? You could make one side a rec area and the other a standard living quarters.
Since the crew would wind up with a front row view of the nacelle end caps instead of anything majestic, I'd choose to skip that concept, even though it is the most workable and logical of the concepts.

Cover the back and place on top a bunch of covers for some vertical launch system?
This holds a bit more appeal, though I'd have to decide what I was going to use the VLS for. My concept is that this is done in the TOS era as a study model of the Excelsior concept, and that it is to be the next generation of front line starship, tasked with the typical multimission role as a Constitution. Thus, exploration, defense, diplomacy, etc. I don't want to overdo the defense side with missile silos, but perhaps atmospheric, oceanic, geological probes... that might work.

Rob+
Old December 14 2012, 11:57 PM   #4
Whorfin
Lieutenant Commander

FatherRob wrote: View Post
Since the crew would wind up with a front row view of the nacelle end caps instead of anything majestic, I'd choose to skip that concept, even though it is the most workable and logical of the concepts. [...] This holds a bit more appeal, though I'd have to decide what I was going to use the VLS for. My concept is that this is done in the TOS era as a study model of the Excelsior concept, and that it is to be the next generation of front line starship, tasked with the typical multimission role as a Constitution. Thus, exploration, defense, diplomacy, etc. I don't want to overdo the defense side with missile silos, but perhaps atmospheric, oceanic, geological probes... that might work.
IMHO, the Rec room view point wouldn't be terrible, compare it to the officer's lounge in ST:TMP and its not that bad. Nacelle proximity is a possible issue for shuttle or cargo hatch use, unless the doors are on the port/starboard walls, but that's also true for impulse exhaust so it could be ignored. Extra crew/marine barracks ''wings'' as on a FASA Chandley class? Extra labs and sensor space (you could mount TOS upper/lower sensor domes on them)? A combination of shuttle bays and sensor domes would be he most visually radical, I guess. You could use them as something horizontal for a Reliant type roll-bar to be connected to (scratch-built or not). It sounds interesting, and I have designed something not too dissimilar for an earlier era (WIP). Please let us know how it turns out.
Whorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 04:37 AM   #5
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

large rec deck windows ala TMP
FatherRob (no offense), are you good enough to build a tiny rec room to go behind those windows? That would be awesome.

Another idea would be sideward firing torpedo tubes.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 05:57 AM   #6
FatherRob
Rear Admiral

Merry Christmas wrote: View Post
large rec deck windows ala TMP
FatherRob (no offense), are you good enough to build a tiny rec room to go behind those windows? That would be awesome.
[/quote]

No offense taken, and no way... I am definately a beginner at modeling!

Rob+