Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old November 18 2013, 10:01 PM   #61
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Information age to "Hybrid Age"

When in the practical world is all else really equal? In "the real world", as opposed to in academic toy problems, people have to chose between alternatives for which there is no obviously superior alternative. It's called making hard choices, and most people have to do it every day, even if it's not life or death. It's a fair question to ask for clarification on which utility function you have in mind.
Old November 18 2013, 10:10 PM   #62
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Seeing how even the 'all else being equal' situations that do sometimes come to pass in the real world are enough to give rise to this kind of attempted obfuscation (or, alternatively, failure to understand), it's pointless to go to the advanced class of actually taking into consideration additional complications.
Old November 18 2013, 10:14 PM   #63
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Instead of assuming everyone here is being deliberately obtuse, how about considering that you may be wrong or at least haven't thought this through adequately?
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 10:19 PM   #64
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

That would be because there aren't any half-convincing arguments supporting your thesis, Robert (obfuscation attempts and dictums don't count as arguments).
As for everyone else here: they only addressed a marginal point of mine (the formulation of a few examples - go figure) - again, with no even half-convincing arguments.

And appeals to your or 'everyone else's' authority just won't do.
Old November 18 2013, 10:25 PM   #65
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Well, I'm sure conspiracy theorists hate appeals to consensus and authority, too. Doesn't make them right.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 10:45 PM   #66
Pavonis
Commodore

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
Really, Pavonis?
Are you actually telling me you couldn't figure out that those questions contained the obvious premise of "'All else being equal', when you have a choice between a bigger wage or a lower wage, which do you choose?", etc?
What's the point of the bigger wage if the cost of living is larger, too? Besides, which is more important - the bigger wage or the more enjoyable job? Why didn't you answer that one?

PS - On the off chance you actually couldn't see such premises - I, frankly, have no interest in discussing with people who are not even able to do that. This is because, in such circumstances, in order to be understood, each of my posts must have the length of a large sized article (and they are most likely not read). And I have neither the time, nor the patience to converse in this manner.
You're not interested in conversing with people who can't read your mind? Who do you talk to, then?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote