RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,690
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 524
Newest member: Spectral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 12 2012, 11:22 PM   #76
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Samuel L. Jackson Wants to Return as a One-Handed or Ghost Mace Wi

HoHoHocutus wrote: View Post
Except he kind of made a similar point about the strangeness of Sam Jackson being in Disney movies earlier in the thread with the post below, which makes it sound serious and not sarcastic. It's hard to tell, hence the pic in my post after Timelord's.
It wasn't sarcastic.

As for the films mentioned in the threadbomb: Never seen 'em.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 11:46 PM   #77
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Hint: You clearly hear Mace grunting in pain as he's jettisoned out the window, where he was still standing, complete with Doppler effect (or whatever the proper term is) as he's projected into the distance.
i think I hear him on the way down: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Old December 13 2012, 12:50 AM   #78
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Saul wrote: View Post
I always thought the way he died in the prequel left the door open for his return. I thought he might pop up in the TV series at some stage and Yoda's line "There is another" could have referred to him...
Except who that was was already explicitly addressed in RotJ:

LUKE
I can't kill my own father.

BEN
Then the Emperor has already won. You were our only hope.

LUKE
Yoda spoke of another.

BEN
The other he spoke of is your twin sister.

LUKE
But I have no sister.

BEN
Hmm. To protect you both from the Emperor, you were hidden from your father when you were born. The Emperor knew, as I did, if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him. That is the reason why your sister remains safely anonymous.

LUKE
Leia! Leia's my sister.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 12:59 AM   #79
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

I thought the "There is Another" line referring to Leia has been more or less common knowledge for anybody who's seen both Empire and Jedi, but oh well.

As per the ultimate fate of Mace, if I had to take a stab in the dark I'd say that he either died when he was flung out of Palpatine's panoramic office window or shortly thereafter when the Republic's clone troops began their extermination of as many Jedi as they could locate (a severely wounded senior member of the Jedi High Council wandering the streets of a Coruscant under emergency conditions or martial law might be easy to track down), but who knows what Kasdan and the other folks who are going to pen the Sequel Trilogy will do with actors like Sam and Ewan McGregor that have expressed their interest in coming back.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 01:53 AM   #80
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

I wouldn't be particularly bothered if Mace came back, but I don't really want to see him again either, and see no real compelling need to bring him back.

That being said, I have to agree with Mister Fandango that there's no reason to think what happened to him in RotS was a likely death sentence. Surviving massive falls, being electrocuted, and having limbs chopped off have all been things we've been shown were not only easily survivable (while remaining conscious in most cases) but fairly commonplace for Jedi. Hell, the latter two are frequently survivable for regular humans, and even falls from great heights on extremely rare occasions are survivable.

Mace was clearly conscious as he was thrown from the window, he could use the Force to slow him down below terminal velocity, given the deep layers and chasms and huge skyscrapers actual ground level could be a minute or more flight time away on Coruscant (so you should have plenty of time to react), and he could probably find any number of ledges, giant flying creatures, flying droids, or aircars to safely land on on the way down.

On the flip side, though, none of that is any guarantee that he survived the subsequent Jedi Purge either. Maybe he did survive the fall but was hunted down later by Vader, Imperial troops, bounty hunters, Dark Jedi, or others.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 02:04 AM   #81
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

In a universe where a guy can have all but one limb severed in combat and be burnt to a near-crisp by the flames from flowing lava anything's possible. If you read accompanying materials and texts the only things that allowed Anakin/Vader to cling to life after the horrific disaster on Mustafar were the power exuded by the Dark Side of the Force and his newfound hatred for Obi-Wan. Those were basically all that kept him breathing in that hot, choking, sulfuric hellhole until the new Emperor arrived to rescue what was left of him.

Old December 13 2012, 02:08 AM   #82
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

It is very possible that Mace was skilled enough in Force use that he could shield himself from the prying eyes of the Emperor and Vader. Assuming Force sensitivity (and therefore Jedi membership) is detectable.

As for Mace's supposed death: If it's possible for Jedi to do things like accelerate themselves to Ludicrous Speed (like we see Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan do in TPM while escaping the droidekas), then being able to land safely after falling out of a window does not seem to be much of a stretch.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old December 13 2012, 02:19 AM   #83
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Somebody once brought up Yoda's line to Luke during his long death scene in Jedi ("When gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be") as evidence that no other Jedi survived the Great Purge and the ensuing quarter-century of Imperial tyranny since Yoda - as tremendously powerful and insightful as he was - would have sensed other Jedi survivors somewhere in the cosmos and told Luke so.

Possibly....but we also have to remember that Yoda and practically every other Jedi in the entire Order (an order over 10,000 strong at the time of the Clone Wars) did not sense the mighty Sith Master himself (Palpatine/Sidious) in their very presence for many, many years. One can conjecture that Palpatine used the Dark Side to shield his true identity and intentions from the Jedi, but if he didn't then that calls into question the capacity of Yoda and others to accurately sense the life energies and presence of other Force practicioners.

So, yeah....Mace could still be alive decades later when Episode VII finally rolls around. It'll be very interesting to see what the writers come up with to satisfy the wishes of actors like Jackson.

Old December 13 2012, 02:22 AM   #84
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I certainly wouldn't expect Samuel L. Jackson to be involved with anything made by Disney...
I realize others have already addressed this but...

Disney owned Miramax in the 90s, and thus made a goodly number of the films Jackson stared in, including "Pulp Fiction" and "Jackie Brown", which, being Quentin Tarantino films, weren't exactly family fare. Disney also made, (via Miramax), just about all of Tarantino 's early films including such such family classics as "Natural Born Killers" and "Reservoir Dogs".

Disney pretty much tossed aside their strictly squeaky clean image when they showed Caitlin Clarke's bare boobs in "Dragonslayer" back in the early 80s.

Last edited by chardman; December 13 2012 at 02:48 AM.
chardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 02:48 AM   #85
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

HoHoHocutus wrote: View Post
Hell, the latter two are frequently survivable for regular humans, and even falls from great heights on extremely rare occasions are survivable.
No one is arguing that he died due to having a limb chopped off.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote:
As for Mace's supposed death: If it's possible for Jedi to do things like accelerate themselves to Ludicrous Speed (like we see Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan do in TPM while escaping the droidekas), then being able to land safely after falling out of a window does not seem to be much of a stretch.
ROTS novel wrote:
Dark lightning blasted away his universe.
He fell forever.
ROTS script wrote:
As blue rays engulf his body, he is flung out the window and falls twenty stories to his death.
Old December 13 2012, 02:52 AM   #86
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

chardman wrote: View Post
Disney pretty much tossed aside their strictly squeaky clean image when they showed Caitlin Clarke's bare boobs in "Dragonslayer" back in the early 80s.
And there's also the scene from Touchstone's Splash with Daryl Hannah's naked butt and backside as she climbs from the water onto Liberty Island. I believe that even in 1984 Touchstone was a Walt Disney property so the Mouseketeers at the company have a long history of making less-than-kid-friendly fare in order to reach the widest audience possible.

Old December 13 2012, 03:01 AM   #87
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

Yup. Disney started Touchstone specifically to showcase films that broke the traditional Disney mold with regards to both subject matter and MPAA ratings.
Old December 13 2012, 03:04 AM   #88
Leviathan
Commander

Episode VII

RETURN OF THE SNAKES

It is a time of slithering war. Rebel snakeships, striking from hidden grasslands, have won their first victory against the evil GALACTIC EMPIRE. During the battle, Rebel snakes managed to steal secret plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR, and armored snake station with enough power to destroy an entire planet. Pursued by the Empires sinister mongooses (mongeese?), Princessssss Leia races home aboard her starship full of deadly and poisonous snakes...

...they'll try it. Just watch.
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2012, 03:07 AM   #89
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Episode VII won't be any more family friendly than most of the films in the Saga already are. We might get more of an Ewok-style approach to some aliens in the new film and Trilogy since the suits at the company love anything they can market as a soft, cuddly toy to kids (which means those among us who had issues with or couldn't stand Jar Jar won't be completely free of such characters....let's just hope the writing is much better this time around) but it's still entirely possible that one or more of the three new movies will bear a PG-13 rating due to the intensity of some scenes.

Episode III was a PG-13 film with some borderline gruesome and disturbing scenes yet kids seemed to love it and they and their families ate up a lot of the merchandise. I don't see Episodes VII-IX being The Lion King with spaceships and blaster weapons....I see them being Star Wars movies. Some might be more like Jedi or Episode I with nods to younger viewers, others might resemble Empire or Sith with darker, more adult moments.

Old December 13 2012, 03:12 AM   #90
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

"You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese on Coruscant?"