RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,704
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 442
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 11 2012, 04:38 AM   #31
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Samuel L. Jackson Wants to Return as a One-Handed or Ghost Mace Wi

SantaEddie74 wrote: View Post
Samuel L. Jackson is chomping at the bit to play Mace at least one more time in the upcoming Episode VII, either as a still-living, one-handed former Jedi who's spent decades in hiding

Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 05:16 AM   #32
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
Bishop76 wrote: View Post
SantaEddie74 wrote: View Post
"I don't care if he's one-handed, one-armed or some ghost or hologram....I'd just like to be involved again."
Translation: "Holy shit was that good money for almost no work!"
Lucas does not like acting apparenty, that"s why got off easy. I think he was doing his best with a director who is not good at giving directions to actors.
Agreed - I usually love Sam Jackson - but this character was not the role for him. It was a boring character that did nothing. At all.
Old December 11 2012, 05:32 AM   #33
Aragorn
Admiral

While there is another trilogy coming, it doesn't mean all future Star Wars movies have to be chronological sequels. There can be one-off films. Maybe Samuel L. Jackson can star in one -- The Adventures of Mace Windu Without Being Constricted by George Lucas as a Director.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 05:46 AM   #34
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
While there is another trilogy coming, it doesn't mean all future Star Wars movies have to be chronological sequels. There can be one-off films. Maybe Samuel L. Jackson can star in one -- The Adventures of Mace Windu Without Being Constricted by George Lucas as a Director.
It could be called Waiting for Lefty.
Old December 11 2012, 06:32 AM   #35
mos6507
Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post
The less elements of the prequels that make it into this new trilogy, the better. Mace Windu is dead; best to leave him that way.

(Not that the STAR WARS franchise has been particularly good at leaving characters dead.)
I agree. No offense to Sam Jackson, but it would be nice to be able to watch from Episode IV onward and pretend the prequels never happened, only gleaning details from 2nd hand references. Hence nobody even talks about Jar Jar or midichlorians. That way how the prequel history played out can stay in our imaginations.
Old December 11 2012, 08:48 AM   #36
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Translation: "Holy shit was that good money for almost no work!"
Lucas does not like acting apparenty, that"s why got off easy. I think he was doing his best with a director who is not good at giving directions to actors.
Agreed - I usually love Sam Jackson - but this character was not the role for him. It was a boring character that did nothing. At all.
Ever read Shatterpoint?
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 10:47 AM   #37
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
As much as we all love SLJ, I'm not sure it's a good idea to keep bringing back dead characters.
That's the thing though, in Mace's particular instance it doesn't even make sense for him to be dead. Why would a "fall" by someone who's a friggin' master of telekinesis -- like most Jedi are -- be such a guaranteed death sentence? We've seen them fall lots of times and make it out just fine.

Hell, the entire scene was the classic Bond villain bit. "Ah ha, without even remotely checking to see if I succeeded, I have clearly killed Mr. Windu! And even if he survived the fall, which I have no way of knowing of course, I'm sure he's suffering and will die within minutes. I mean, he's a wizard and I threw him out a window, so clearly he must be dead. There's no other possibility for someone with magical powers to survive such a complex and devastating fate. So what if Obi-Wan was falling for a couple miles through traffic not too long ago and made it out without so much as a scratch? Pfft. Irrelevant. I threw a god damned wizard out the god damned window and he's god damned dead, and that's god damned that! In fact, this plan was so flawless I'm totally going to do it if that stupid Yoda guy shows up again. After I make him fall, he'll be dead, too! Mouhahaha..."
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 10:48 AM   #38
mos6507
Captain

If that's the case, why did the Emperor die in Jedi?
Old December 11 2012, 10:57 AM   #39
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Because he was thrown into a reactor core instead?

Besides, didn't he transfer his consciousness on the way down into some clones or something, at least according to the crap novels?
Old December 11 2012, 11:37 AM   #40
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

mos6507 wrote: View Post
If that's the case, why did the Emperor die in Jedi?
Or did he?
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 11:49 AM   #41
Nightowl1701
Commander

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
That's the thing though, in Mace's particular instance it doesn't even make sense for him to be dead. Why would a "fall" by someone who's a friggin' master of telekinesis -- like most Jedi are -- be such a guaranteed death sentence? We've seen them fall lots of times and make it out just fine.
A fall AFTER getting a million volts pumped through you AND getting your hand chopped off (the shock of that alone could almost kill an ordinary person)? Plus, the last thing he saw before the lightning bath was The Chosen One - the kid the Jedi had tapped as the galaxy's messiah - figuratively stabbing him in the back and siding with the devil himself. (Picture Jesus Christ doing that with Satan.) And it was all his fault for not paying attention and showing the kid a little consideration.

Even if he could have survived the fall...well, to quote from Leisure Suit Larry: "While life is technically still possible, it is for you no longer worth living."
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 02:24 PM   #42
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
The idea of Disney producing Episode 7 to 9 is so fucked up anyway that I don't mind at all. I'd watch an entire film about one handed bad ass Mace Windu kicking Imperial ass.
As opposed to bringing Kirk back in the "nexus?"
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 02:26 PM   #43
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Ever read Shatterpoint?
I did and it was fine. But it had nothing to do with Sam Jackson or the movies. I don't consider the EU at all when critiquing something else.
Old December 11 2012, 02:34 PM   #44
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
Even if he could have survived the fall...well, to quote from Leisure Suit Larry: "While life is technically still possible, it is for you no longer worth living."
Which, you know, is a very good reason for why he didn't come up during the original trilogy, but could come out of the woodwork after those events.
Old December 11 2012, 03:20 PM   #45
Caliburn24
Commodore

One of the things Lucas was guilty of was sticking in extraneous characters who served little purpose other than the "coolness" factor in the prequel trilogy. Hopefully Michael Arndt and everyone else involved on the writing side has a little more discipline and focus on the story.

Also, one of the things that I do like about the current SW:EU is that Luke has to mostly go it alone in forming his New Jedi Order.

If episodes 7-9 feature Luke in any meaningful way(and presumably at least something about reforming the Jedi) having a roster of Force ghosts, or a one-handed Mace Windu, or any sort of throwback(Ashoka?) to the old Jedi Order would undercut Luke enormously.

Unless Luke has some interesting conflicts with the old crippled and hidden survivors of the Jedi, than it could potentially be more interesting.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote