Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 10 2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

"After Earth" - Trailer (M. Night Shyamalan, Will & Jayden Smith)

here

Shyamalan needs this film to work to save his career, but it looks like a low-grade Avatar. The creature that looks like a Saber-Tooth tiger reminds me of the CGI animals from I Am Legend. But, most odd, is that Will Smith has a really odd accent.

Thoughts?
Old December 10 2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Re: "After Earth" - Trailer (M. Night Shyamalan, Will & Jayden Smith)

Unfortunately, I can already guess the 'twist'.

More then likely it's a 'Planet of the Apes' style meme in that all through the film; you're lead to believe the planet they're on IS Earth - BUT, you find out it's a colony world humans from Earth were sent to AFTER our Earth was destroyed/rendered inhabitable - and of course they thought this new world was sake/hospitable; but things changed.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 08:13 PM   #3
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

On a double bill with Oblivian this might be passable. How long before Shyamalan becomes Uwe Boll?
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 08:29 PM   #4
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Noname Given wrote: View Post

More then likely it's a 'Planet of the Apes' style meme in that all through the film; you're lead to believe the planet they're on IS Earth - BUT, you find out it's a colony world humans from Earth were sent to AFTER our Earth was destroyed/rendered inhabitable - and of course they thought this new world was sake/hospitable; but things changed.
He's only directing so looking for that sort of twist might be a mistake.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 08:33 PM   #5
Locutus of Bored
No Solicitors!

I'll keep my expectations suitably low given Shyamalan's fall from grace as a filmmaker, but the fact that he didn't write this and it doesn't seem to revolve around any lame twist (the fact that it's Earth is revealed up front) gives me some hope that it might be enjoyable. I still think the guy is very talented at setting a scene and building tension, he just needs to have someone there to tell him no when he starts getting over-indulgent and self-reverential. Someone else writing might help mitigate those qualities.

The futuristic animals (though some just seemed like baboons on steroids and sabre-toothed tigers) and the impressive vistas are cool, much like that Discovery Channel(?) show about the future of life on Earth if humans were out of the picture. But then again, some of the prehistoric animal scenes of that awful Roland Emmerich 10,000 BC movie looked cool too. The ship design and space scenes didn't blow me away, but we didn't get a whole lot of them either.

I'm not sure if Smith's accent will get annoying or not. It didn't particularly bother me here in small doses, and I appreciate Shyamalan making an effort at (presumably) depicting that accents would change if humanity conglomerated and moved elsewhere. Hopefully that's what's happening there and it wasn't just some bad attempt at an existing accent.

Smith's kid can be annoying in films, or at least, the way people write dialogue for him and direct his character to behave has been extremely annoying so far, so I'm not sure how that will work out.

I'll give it a chance if nothing obviously terrible sounding comes out about it before its release. I just won't get too excited for it, because I know this is the guy who gave us killer plants and Amish werewolf cosplay hippie commune movies.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Last edited by Locutus of Bored; December 10 2012 at 09:50 PM.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 08:37 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer

This is a rather interesting idea, which has some involvement from people I know. Apparently the film is one part of a multimedia franchise that will also involve novels, comics, companion books, and maybe some other stuff. Star Trek and comic-book authors Peter David, Bob Greenberger, and Michael Jan Friedman worked with the screenwriters to develop a "bible" for the whole After Earth universe, which influenced later drafts of the screenplay, and are writing the tie-in books.

I agree it's high time we got to see a film where Shyamalan directed others' scripts. He has some great qualities as a director; the problems with most of his films have been in their writing. Applying his directorial skills to a script by more capable writers could produce something really good.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 08:45 PM   #7
Candlelight
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I agree it's high time we got to see a film where Shyamalan directed others' scripts. He has some great qualities as a director; the problems with most of his films have been in their writing. Applying his directorial skills to a script by more capable writers could produce something really good.
Alien 5.

Old December 10 2012, 08:59 PM   #8
Christopher
Writer

^I don't get it.

Old December 10 2012, 09:06 PM   #9
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Eh, maybe...would be fun to see Smith fils et pere in some zany adventure with mutant monkeys and wolves in redwood forests.

But, most odd, is that Will Smith has a really odd accent.
Yeah, why is Will Smith hitting his Southern accent extra hard? Random.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 09:17 PM   #10
Christopher
Writer

I like the accent. I like how he's transformed himself and is doing more of a character-acting role rather than just being Will Smith. It shows he's broadening his range as an actor, and what's wrong with that?

Old December 10 2012, 09:55 PM   #11
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

This film could go either way, but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt because Shyamalan is only directing. I've always loved his directing and agree that his writing has been the weak spot. For instance, I love the directing of The Village but story was very predictable, especially the twist ending.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 10:13 PM   #12
Christopher
Writer

The biggest problem with the Hollywood feature film industry today, the reason why there are so many flawed or failed movies, is that directors have all the power and believe that either they don't need writers or that writers are nothing but hired help there to write down the stories the directors want to tell. In cases where the director actually is a writer, like Joss Whedon or Gary Ross, that can work. But too often, the writing is the weakest part of a brilliantly directed, cast, production-designed, scored, etc. film because there's just no respect for the importance of writers in the film industry, because too many directors just see a script as a series of suggestions or a loose framework to string their directorial set pieces together.

This is why we need more people like Whedon -- people who started out as showrunners in TV, a medium where writers rule the roost, and thus understand the importance of writing to the process.

Bah Humbug wrote: View Post
Is "fils et pere" some kind of typo? I tried looking it up but only found references to wine.
It's French for "son and father," or "Junior and Senior." For instance, the author of The Three Musketeers is called Alexandre Dumas, père to distinguish him from his son Alexandre Dumas, fils.

Old December 10 2012, 10:16 PM   #13
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

^thank you
Old December 10 2012, 10:19 PM   #14
Agent Richard07
Admiral

[Edit] I can't delete my post.

May as well add something though. I've never had problem with Shyamalan and I'm looking forward to this movie. I'm probably one of the few who would have been more excited if he were writing it since I've always enjoyed his work.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 10:25 PM   #15
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Noname Given wrote: View Post

Maybe it's actually Earth of the distant past.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote