RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,170
Posts: 5,435,192
Members: 24,939
Currently online: 443
Newest member: katlynwomack

TrekToday headlines

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 10 2012, 05:48 PM   #91
Robert_T_April
Captain
 
Robert_T_April's Avatar
 
Location: Yesterday's Enterprise
Re: Details of 9 Minute Preview Revealed *SPOILERS*

[/QUOTE]
One preview said that Cumberbatch's mystery villain approached the family at the hospital offering "healing abilities" to help with their daughter. Which character, if they are, from the series had those kind of powers or access to them?[/QUOTE]

Lord Garth
Robert_T_April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 05:52 PM   #92
urbandk
Commodore
 
urbandk's Avatar
 
Location: the European "canon" is here
Re: Details of 9 Minute Preview Revealed *SPOILERS*

Garth of Izod. Maybe there will be a Lacoste tie-in.
__________________
urbandk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 05:53 PM   #93
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Details of 9 Minute Preview Revealed *SPOILERS*

One preview said that Cumberbatch's mystery villain approached the family at the hospital offering "healing abilities" to help with their daughter. Which character, if they are, from the series had those kind of powers or access to them?
Lord Garth
Nope.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; December 10 2012 at 07:44 PM.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 06:00 PM   #94
The Black Stig
Rear Admiral
 
The Black Stig's Avatar
 
Location: Dunsfold Aerodrome, Surrey
Re: Details of 9 Minute Preview Revealed *SPOILERS*

Much like Trek '09, this sounds like so much fun! A rescue mission, a light moral quandary before lunch and Kirk in trouble with his superiors. I like it.
__________________
Some say that he haunts the halls of the Top Gear production office and that, if you listen closely, you can hear his wails around Gambon.

All we know is that he's not The Stig, he's The Stig's drowned predecessor.
The Black Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 06:01 PM   #95
Vektor
Rear Admiral
 
Vektor's Avatar
 
Location: Spokane, WA, USA
Re: Details of 9 Minute Preview Revealed *SPOILERS*

You know, given the state of starship technology presented in the Trek universe all the way from the days of the Original Series, the ability to withstand incredible forces of gravity acceleration, pressure, etc, there's really nothing implausible about the Enterprise being built on Earth or being able to go underwater.

In the TOS episode "Tomorrow is Yesterday," the Enterprise was cruising around in Earth's atmosphere only a few thousand feet above ground and slowly enough for a jet fighter to briefly keep up with it. Granted, they weren't there on purpose and they made it sound like it was something they would generally prefer not to do, but it does establish that the Enterprise will not actually collapse under its own weight in planetary gravity, that it can achieve orbit without being built there and so forth.

Certainly the questions can be asked, "Why build an enormous space-going vessel on the surface of a planet?" or "Why hide an enormous space-going vessel underwater from a primitive culture incapable of detecting it in orbit?" but the ability to do either of those things within the established technology of the Trek universe isn't really in question.
__________________
www.vektorvisual.com
Vektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 06:08 PM   #96
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: Details of 9 Minute Preview Revealed *SPOILERS*

Vektor wrote: View Post
Certainly the questions can be asked, "Why build an enormous space-going vessel on the surface of a planet?" or "Why hide an enormous space-going vessel underwater from a primitive culture incapable of detecting it in orbit?" but the ability to do either of those things within the established technology of the Trek universe isn't really in question.
Well the simple answer to both is they are visually awesome for a film goer to see, and Abrams is concerned with producing and directing bankable and popular Trek that appeals to those outside of the traditional Trek fan-kingdom.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 06:23 PM   #97
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: Details of 9 Minute Preview Revealed *SPOILERS*

Vektor wrote: View Post
You know, given the state of starship technology presented in the Trek universe all the way from the days of the Original Series, the ability to withstand incredible forces of gravity acceleration, pressure, etc, there's really nothing implausible about the Enterprise being built on Earth or being able to go underwater.

In the TOS episode "Tomorrow is Yesterday," the Enterprise was cruising around in Earth's atmosphere only a few thousand feet above ground and slowly enough for a jet fighter to briefly keep up with it. Granted, they weren't there on purpose and they made it sound like it was something they would generally prefer not to do, but it does establish that the Enterprise will not actually collapse under its own weight in planetary gravity, that it can achieve orbit without being built there and so forth.

Certainly the questions can be asked, "Why build an enormous space-going vessel on the surface of a planet?" or "Why hide an enormous space-going vessel underwater from a primitive culture incapable of detecting it in orbit?" but the ability to do either of those things within the established technology of the Trek universe isn't really in question.
Yep.
Today, there are non-aerodynamic military aircraft that fly and maneuver as they do only because of on-board computers. Without them, they're rocks.
By extrapolation, why should the ability of a 23rd century starship to fly in the atmosphere, or even go underwater, be seriously questioned? Silly? Maybe. Plausible? Why not?
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 06:44 PM   #98
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Details of 9 Minute Preview Revealed *SPOILERS*

I agree with Vektor's assessment.

Wynterhawk wrote: View Post
After watching it, some of my 'fears' have been dismissed. I still have one or two niggling in the back of my mind, but of course have to watch the film first before passing judgement. Cumberbatch seems suitably menacing.
__________________
The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but
that the lightning ain't distributed right.
— Mark Twain
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 07:18 PM   #99
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Details of 9 Minute Preview Revealed *SPOILERS*

One good thing...the reviews are almost all positive or even raves so far...we have space, scale, intimacy, family, space battles and Cumberbatch!

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 07:29 PM   #100
Shilliam Watner
Commander
 
Location: In linear time
Re: Details of 9 Minute Preview Revealed *SPOILERS*

Flake wrote: View Post
I mean, hide behind a moon? Geosynchronous orbit above a sparsely populated pole? Or in orbit but just outside of visual or telescopic range? But no. Hide in the ocean of the planet your covertly visiting. Its stupid.... but cool? Doesn't sit well with me thats for sure :P

Oh well :/
Well.....maybe since the planet is having volcanic problems, the Enterprise is needed underwater to use its phasers at close range to drill down and open up some faults to release pressure from the volcanic magma in order to save the planet. As a geologist myself, it would seem likely.
Shilliam Watner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 07:48 PM   #101
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Details of 9 Minute Preview Revealed *SPOILERS*

Things like building the ship on Earth or sending it underwater at most involve a significant evolution (or deterioration, if you don't like it) of the way a lot of us thought about the Enterprise and about space travel in general in the 1960s and 70s or even at the time TNG was introduced. The fictional narrative about these ships in Star Trek has "powered them up" considerably over time, and all of this can now be justified by various technobabble statements that have been made onscreen and incidents we've been shown over the years.

Even Superman couldn't fly, at first.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 08:15 PM   #102
Flake
Commodore
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: Details of 9 Minute Preview Revealed *SPOILERS*

Shilliam Watner wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
I mean, hide behind a moon? Geosynchronous orbit above a sparsely populated pole? Or in orbit but just outside of visual or telescopic range? But no. Hide in the ocean of the planet your covertly visiting. Its stupid.... but cool? Doesn't sit well with me thats for sure :P

Oh well :/
Well.....maybe since the planet is having volcanic problems, the Enterprise is needed underwater to use its phasers at close range to drill down and open up some faults to release pressure from the volcanic magma in order to save the planet. As a geologist myself, it would seem likely.
Well if there's some technobabble explanation for it then that's fine, but if they have hidden in the ocean because they think its the best place to hide then *facepalm*

There was a time when they invented the transporter because they couldn't afford to show them landing every week, now they have so much money they just go land in the ocean instead
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 08:17 PM   #103
Captain_Amasov
Captain
 
Captain_Amasov's Avatar
 
Re: Details of 9 Minute Preview Revealed *SPOILERS*

It depends on whether they hid the Enterprise underwater because of something other than the natives on the planet. Could there be other starships (Starfleet or otherwise) nearby that would detect the Enterprise and would investigate to find them violating the Prime Directive?
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 08:20 PM   #104
Mach5
Rear Admiral
 
Mach5's Avatar
 
Re: Details of 9 Minute Preview Revealed *SPOILERS*

IIRC, Voyager navigated through fluidic space without problem. And I guess maneuvering thrusters could propel the ship through water too.
__________________
"Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines."
― Bertrand Russell
Mach5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 08:21 PM   #105
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: Details of 9 Minute Preview Revealed *SPOILERS*

Flake wrote: View Post
There was a time when they invented the transporter because they couldn't afford to show them landing every week, now they have so much money they just go land in the ocean instead
There's a certain truth to that.
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.