The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 22 2012, 01:19 PM   #1
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Contemporary Future Earth

Trek has always shied away from showing us too much of future Earth. We've seen a few quiet pedestrianized streets in DS9, Picard's family vineyard and a restaurant in Paris in TNG, some military stuff like Starfleet HQ, the academy grounds etc, but this will be the first time we see a major civillian population centre. And I can't wait. As soon as I saw the built-up megalopolis of San Fransisco in STXI, I wanted to explore it. And we're going to in the next film!

They have cars in the future! Some of them fly! It's very much more contemporary than Gene Rodenberry's talked-about-but-never-seen TNG-era "nudist paradise utopia" concepts.

Big pic of San Fransisco (with cars, busses, trucks, flying cars, skyscrapers and falling Spock, HERE.
Old December 22 2012, 02:10 PM   #2
ralph
Captain

Re: Contemporary Future Earth

It is difficult to make films in futuristic environments because our world is changing very fast. Everything can be different 20 years from now, imagine in 100 years. But I always had this curiosity to know how the future Earth would be in star trek. Nobody can criticize Abrams at that point, trying to make a reality of the Gene Rodenberry's universe. I'm very curious to see how they imagined it.
Old December 22 2012, 04:33 PM   #3
Gojira
Commodore

I love science fiction movies about the future and it was always a bit frustrating that they could never show the Earth of the future. I am sure it was mainly due to budget reasons.

I too am really excited to see more of the Earth in the 23rd century.
Old December 22 2012, 05:26 PM   #4
Franklin
Rear Admiral

It takes some guts to project what a future Earth may look like a couple of hundred years out. I'm not sure I one hundred percent like J.J.'s "uber-urban" vision of S.F. and London, but I suppose George Washington would be rather shocked to see New York City, today.
Old December 22 2012, 05:41 PM   #5
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Franklin wrote: View Post
I'm not sure I one hundred percent like J.J.'s "uber-urban" vision of S.F. and London
I like it much better than Gene Roddenberry's "underground" version.

Say what you like about this version of San Francisco - at least it's above ground.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 06:00 PM   #6
F. King Daniel
Admiral

"Now we'll never be canon!" [/mole people]
Old December 22 2012, 06:05 PM   #7
Gojira
Commodore

It takes some guts to project what a future Earth may look like a couple of hundred years out. I'm not sure I one hundred percent like J.J.'s "uber-urban" vision of S.F. and London, but I suppose George Washington would be rather shocked to see New York City, today.
I was a little surprised to see how many buildings there were in SF in Trek09. I thought JJ would have more futuristic buildings in SF just not as many as he did.
Old December 22 2012, 06:57 PM   #8
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

I like how it looks different but the same. There's nothing real whacky about Trek's future.
Old December 22 2012, 08:55 PM   #9
Grup
Lieutenant Commander

I like futuristic images of cities as well. However, unless the entire city is rebuilt from the ground up as a result of some horrific catastrophe, wouldn't there be older buildings still standing? Hell. Pittsburgh (where I live) has a gigantic
218 year old building smack dab in the middle of downtown. Just a thought.
Grup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 09:56 PM   #10
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post

Big pic of San Fransisco (with cars, busses, trucks, flying cars, skyscrapers and falling Spock, HERE.
Hmmm... not much different, really.

(Also, Daniel: San Francisco - like Francis, with an added "co".)

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

I like it much better than Gene Roddenberry's "underground" version.

Say what you like about this version of San Francisco - at least it's above ground.
Congratulations. You've managed to shoehorn that in once more, and again in a place where it's at best tangentially related to the topic. (Ref: click)

Now... here's where I recommend you quell the compulsion to attempt any further revisitations of your original rant. If you want to talk about your dislike of/phobia toward the notion of living underground, then fine - go start a thread about it, and do so in a forum which is appropriate to the topic (i.e., not this one.) You could even write about it in a blog entry of your very own, but please stop bringing things up—solely for the sake of bringing them up—in threads which are about something else. That verges on spamming, about which I believe I've spoken to you before.

Last edited by M'Sharak; December 22 2012 at 10:51 PM.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 10:58 PM   #11
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

^ The topic is contemporary future Earth. What is 'spamming' about contrasting different views of what that Earth would look like? (i.e. Gene's version vs. JJ Abrams' version)
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 11:21 PM   #12
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post
I was a little surprised to see how many buildings there were in SF in Trek09. I thought JJ would have more futuristic buildings in SF just not as many as he did.
Yes. I think that many buildings of that size (even though that size is feasible) would be an urban planner's nightmare. Imagine the quality of life walking down those urban canyons. There might be areas where the sun seldom shines. Still, it may be a fairly accurate representation if we grow in population and still want to maintain countrysides like the English ones seen in the teaser.

Grup wrote: View Post
I like futuristic images of cities as well. However, unless the entire city is rebuilt from the ground up as a result of some horrific catastrophe, wouldn't there be older buildings still standing? Hell. Pittsburgh (where I live) has a gigantic
218 year old building smack dab in the middle of downtown. Just a thought.
In the shot of Spock standing on a platform (ship?) above the buildings in downtown S.F., you can see what looks like some old-style buildings. In other urban shots, there are recognizeable landmark buildings from S.F. (the TransAmerica building) and London (the gherkin). St. Pauls is also seen from Clarke's character's bedroom window in London.
Old December 22 2012, 11:47 PM   #13
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ The topic is contemporary future Earth. What is 'spamming' about contrasting different views of what that Earth would look like? (i.e. Gene's version vs. JJ Abrams' version)
You know better than that. Comments to PM.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 11:55 PM   #14
Grup
Lieutenant Commander

[/QUOTE]

In the shot of Spock standing on a platform (ship?) above the buildings in downtown S.F., you can see what looks like some old-style buildings. In other urban shots, there are recognizeable landmark buildings from S.F. (the TransAmerica building) and London (the gherkin). St. Pauls is also seen from Clarke's character's bedroom window in London.[/QUOTE]

Missed that. Thanks.
Grup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 12:18 AM   #15
teacock
Admiral

I'm absolutely THRILLED to be seeing future earth that isn't just Starfleet Academy's manicured grounds. So far it looks like a more realistic version of the more highly developed Firefly planets, great tech but also older stuff that developed and wasn't replaced. I think it looks great. Coruscant was always my favorite city but it's definitely in another world, a fantasy world. What we've seen so far looks very firmly set in our world, with the jumble of past and future bits.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote