RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,665
Members: 24,816
Currently online: 479
Newest member: CapSmith

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 14 2012, 01:42 AM   #16
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: Thoughts on the Typhon Pact (Cold Equations spoilers)

JD wrote: View Post
So the Syndicate is not the Orion government in current Trek Lit? I've seen several other sources say the Syndicate was their government, and I always thought that seemed a bit odd.
There does seem to be some confusion regarding that point - in fact, it seems to me that the 22nd century Orion Syndicate mentioned in Enterprise and the 24th century Syndicate in DS9, etc, are two different organizations, or at least it makes sense to me to consider them such. The 22nd century version is (I think) presented at least implicitly as a government or central authority of some kind for the Orion species, while the 24th century Syndicate clearly isn't. Personally, I like to think that as the Federation grew more powerful, it and the other major powers started cracking down on Orion piracy, slaving etc, and the organization of clans that formed the old Syndicate disbanded or something - only for oportunistic criminals to "reimagine" it as a more subtle crime cartel operating within the nations that shoved the old Syndicate aside. Maybe the name was up for grabs and they considered themselves the successor to the old ways? In The Lost Era: Well of Souls, the Syndicate is described as "fledgling", just starting to put pressure on established criminal organizations and push them off the galactic stage. I think it's all-round easier if we think of them as two different organizations, though maybe deliberately connected in spirit via the name.

(As an aside, I don't like it how organizations often seem to last for centuries in Trek, with the same name and purpose. I loved how Vulcan's Heart offered an origin for the Tal Shiar; however, later Trek stories have the organization under that name being a part of the Romulan Empire since at least the 22nd century. A bit disappointing).

EDIT: Oh, I missed Christopher's answer.

Last edited by Deranged Nasat; December 14 2012 at 01:58 AM.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 01:55 AM   #17
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

On the subject of Nausicaans :

Given that Nausicaa was laid waste during Destiny, I wonder if the Nausicaan state even exists anymore (and I doubt it was very strong to begin with). We've had a few hints in books like Warpath that there was at least some centralized authority in the past, that they weren't a true anarchy like the Chalnoth, but I can't see the Nausicaan diaspora paying too much attention to anyone back home. And now that home is gone...well, the Nausicaans don't seem the kind to have detailed plans of succesion and coordinated strategies for dealing with major disaster, so I assume the Nausicaan state is no more. That said, I do wonder what the Nausicaans across the galaxy are doing now. How many care about the homeworld's loss? Are any of them they making an effort to calculate their numbers and gather together?
Old December 14 2012, 02:05 AM   #18
Christopher
Writer

The surviving Nausicaans all settled in the Valley of the Wind.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 02:13 AM   #19
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
The surviving Nausicaans all settled in the Valley of the Wind.
Forgive my reliance on racial stereotyping, but I wouldn't trust the Nausicaans with restoring the ecological balance or building trust between humanoids and insectoids. I think the sudden introduction of large numbers of Nausicaans can only prove detrimental to an already delicate situation in the region, and I'd like to know what genius at the Federation Bureau of Relocation thought this would be a good idea.
Old December 14 2012, 04:33 AM   #20
Markonian
Captain

In the Worlds RPG book, Nausicaa was the centre for the Nausicaans but a government didn't play much of role.

In STO -
(I know, I mention this particular game in every second post by now, but it is a handy alternative source and there's nothing against a bit of creative cross-pollination.)
- the Orions and Nausicaans are major factions, even though they've been uprooted from their homeworlds. They have their own ships (lots of them) and provide the Klingon Empire with significant personnel, even adding their ships to the KDF.

To bring it into perspective: Melani D'ian, an Orion, assumed power of the Orion Syndicate and conducted an ethnic cleansing to bring it back into the hands of the Orions. She made a deal with the Klingons: The Orions left their homeworld and reselled on Ter'jas Mor, a planet in the Klingon Empire the Syndicate could rule as vassal state.

The Orions joined the Klingon Empire in 2394. The conquest of the Gorn Hegemony added the Gorn and their contracted mercenary allies, the Nausicaans, to the ranksof the Empire in 2403. The Letheans negotiated for entry into the Empire but the Klingons made it low-priority. (STO: The Needs of the Many)

In 2409, the Ferasans, aggressive descendants of the Caitian diaspora, part of the Ferasan Hierarchy, joined the Klingons as well. They a playable species and do not exist as non-playable factions, though.

However, recently Gorn rebels have appeared and there are hints here and there that the Gorn Hegemony, currently a vassal state to the Klingons (King Slathis has a non-voting seat in the High Council) might attempt to break away sometime. (I hope so. I always thought the Gorn would make terrific Federation allies.)

If the developers ever desided to introduce the Typhon Pact to STO, its makeup would be noticeably different.
Old December 14 2012, 05:25 AM   #21
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Markonian wrote: View Post
However, recently Gorn rebels have appeared and there are hints here and there that the Gorn Hegemony, currently a vassal state to the Klingons (King Slathis has a non-voting seat in the High Council) might attempt to break away sometime. (I hope so. I always thought the Gorn would make terrific Federation allies.)
Except seeing as the current Gorn ruler is interested in requiring the Gorn's ancient territory which has been said to cover a decent chunk of the federation that's got about the same chance as ice skating happening in hell.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 10:15 AM   #22
Markonian
Captain

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

Except seeing as the current Gorn ruler is interested in requiring the Gorn's ancient territory which has been said to cover a decent chunk of the Federation that's got about the same chance as ice skating happening in hell.
The Gorn probably know the value of realpolitik. Otherwise, they wouldn't have submitted to the Klingons, would they?
Well, with the STO Federation's luck, the rebel Hegemony would probably side with the Tholians and Breen and form some sort of... Azure Pact.