RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,724
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 690
Newest member: vagarcia74

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

View Poll Results: What is your view on how Producers dealt with the Dax character?
I am glad that the Producers killed Jadzia and introduced Dax’s new host (Ezri) as a regular Season 7 character. 26 50.00%
The Producers should not have killed Jadzia, but made her as a reoccurring Season 7 character. 21 40.38%
The Producers should not have killed Jadzia, but made her come back for the Series finale. 9 17.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 10 2012, 11:19 PM   #16
Worf'sParmach
Commander

Re: Season 7- Would U Rather Have Seen a Recurring Jadzia or Stick w/E

Takeru wrote: View Post
They had Leeta, Kai Winn and Kasidy as major recurring characters and they could have used Keiko morw, it's not like Kira was the only female left on the show. TNG had Marina Sirtis as the only female main cast member during season 2, it happened before.
Or they could have introduced a new female main character and have the male Dax be recurring.
At the time, it was said that they had to replace Jadzia with another woman instead of perhaps a man or not replacing her and making her recurring because it would have left Kira the only female lead. I agree with you, though. There were several female secondary characters who could have been 'elevated' and given better storylines. DS9 was always so good at developing their secondary characters that I think it would have worked just fine.

(BTW, Marina Sirtis was not the only female lead during TNGS2. Diana Muldar played Dr. Pulaski and was a lead character)

I think a male Dax would have been more interesting, it would have been great to see what changing gender does to a joined Trill. How does a straight male host deal with memories of being in love with men, especially if the former husband is still around? What about Bashir? What would he feel if the male Dax still has feelings for him and is similar in personality to Jadzia Dax? What if Bashir recognized some of Jadzia's quirks that he thought of as cute or lovable before, woult the person be more important of the newly attached penis?
Things like that were touched on a little bit during the Odan episode of TNG and the Lenara Khan DS9 episode but it would have been different with major characters over an entire season or at least part of it, the most important part would have been that it involves male characters, the "gay stuff" in both the Odan and Khan episodes was about women.
I agree that it would have been interesting, but they would have never gone there. There was obviously going to be some tension between Worf and NewDax. But if NewDax had been a man, the writers would have completely ignored any of that. Yes, there was TNG's "The Host" and "Rejoined" but people are always more comfortable with female same-sex situations than with male. And I just can't imagine that homosexuality is something that's even remotely considered amongst Klingon men.
Old December 11 2012, 12:30 AM   #17
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Worf'sParmach wrote: View Post
And I just can't imagine that homosexuality is something that's even remotely considered amongst Klingon men.
Oh I don't know about that, the Spartans, the Zande, the Samurai, were all warrior cultures that openly included homosexuality.

Imagining a bird of prey on a long extended patrol, mostly male crew, close quarters, sweaty, unwashed, eating raw meat, clad in leather.

* sigh *

(I'll be in my bunk)

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 10:29 AM   #18
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Personally, if I were to decide, I'd have kept Jadzia around, and maybe had her killed midway the season, while also bringing back the Daz symbiont with a male host - that way, it ventures into different territory than expected, and raises the stakes for the rest of the characters by alluding that, you know, maybe they'd all die by the end (and to some, Sisko did die).

That said, I don't have a problem with Ezri. She's OK, if not quite as enjoyably nasty as Jadzia was, but she has grown on me as well.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 06:18 AM   #19
Jono
Rear Admiral

Out of the choices I went with option 2. It would be a bit odd for Jadzia to disappear and not appear until the finale.

However, my choice would has been stated already here that there was no new regular Dax. It would have been interesting to see a new Dax return, but for only an episode or two and draw a line under it there.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 12:48 PM   #20
MacLeod
Admiral

There was a fourth option available to the producers, kill off the Dax symbiant as well.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 01:07 PM   #21
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Well I preferred Ezri to Jadzia anyway, so keep Ezri, kill Jadzia.
Old December 19 2012, 07:37 PM   #22
lurok
Commodore

Definitely should have made Ezri a man. Cast someone like JR Bourne from Stargate
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 02:43 AM   #23
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Jadzia should have been in the final montage in What You Leave Behind. Certainly though killing Jadzia was just the bold move you had come to expect from DS9. The whole Pagh-wraith thing really was a weak point in Dukat's character arc, but the fact that he did murder Jadzia quite casually was crossing a proverbial Rubicon with the character that whatever admirable traits he had, he was quite nonredeemable. The shock value of Jadzia's death, and the consequences thereof are full of just the character goodness one had come to expect from DS9.

I find myself surprised she's supposedly expressing willingness to return as a guest or what not when she threw a fit over a snippet from a previous season being used in flashback even threatening legal consequences. I would imagine that was why she wasn't asked for a part in the finale, despite whatever lip service Ferrel gave to being willing to return.
Old December 22 2012, 03:11 AM   #24
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I wouldn't call killing Jadzia a bold move, every show does that as a cheap ratings-grab when their regulars leave. Every crime procedural anyway.

Another Dax was the easy move, since every fan would already be emotionally attached to her. The harder move would have been to introduce a totally new character. Killing Dax was the most 'Standard long running TV show procedure' move DS9 ever made.

That being said I did like Ezri. Just, killing a character because their contract ended is the most fantasy-breaking thing you can do, and I prefer being immersed.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 01:44 PM   #25
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Melakon wrote: View Post
Takeru wrote: View Post
. . .I think the new Dax should have been male
But that would have left Kira as the only female main cast member. I don't think they wanted to do that.
Kira was more than enough woman for S7

I do think that a male Ezri would have been interesting.
Old December 23 2012, 02:41 PM   #26
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Should've killed her and the slug. Ezri was a cop-out.
But it was also the unique thing about a regular character in Star Trek, it would have been a waste not to use it.

If Terry had been willing its a shame they couldn't have had both of them in the mirror universe episode. Funny that Jadzia died (offscreen) too.
Old December 26 2012, 05:53 AM   #27
miraclekid
Ensign

I would have preferred Jadzia had stayed on as a reoccurring character. Don't get me wrong now, Ezri is adorkable and all but she is no Jadzia. Definitely my preferred Dax.
miraclekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 04:53 PM   #28
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

I liked Ezri more then Jadzia. Terry Farrel is a decent actress and had amazing looks, but she didn't pull off the "Wise Jadzia" well, and the "Klingon Jadzia" I found old after a while.

Actually, in 20/20 back views. They should of started with Ezri, and had a unexpected Trill getting dax and growing into her new self over the seasons.

That, and Nicole De Boer is Adorable.
Old January 1 2013, 04:58 PM   #29
sonak
Vice Admiral

Ezri was one of the better parts of season 7, and anyway, Nicole DeBoer was hooooooooooooooot!
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 05:50 PM   #30
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I was never a real Ezri fan (I like her more in the post-DS9 Trek books where they've essentially reinvented her). I much preferred Jadzia and her wordly devil-may-care attitude on life.