IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Who is the Villain of Star Trek Into Darkness?
Charlie X 1 1.08%
Gary Mitchell 25 26.88%
Harry Mudd 2 2.15%
Dr. Roger Korby 0 0%
Dr. Van Gelder 0 0%
Trelane 1 1.08%
Ben Finney 1 1.08%
Khan 11 11.83%
Commodore Decker 2 2.15%
Captain Tracey 1 1.08%
Dr. Richard Daystrom 0 0%
Gary Seven 2 2.15%
Garth of Izar 27 29.03%
Other...please explain 20 21.51%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 8 2012, 11:56 PM   #16
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: Villain discussion Poll

Gary is still in the lead for me, but I don't say that with absolute certainty, the fact they've kept the secret this well, this long is pretty amazing in this and age.
Old December 9 2012, 12:44 AM   #17
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

I'm discounting Mitchell and Khan right off the bat because they put blatant red herrings in the trailer to screw with people. I think the Dehner looking character is actually going to turn out to be Carol Marcus and they just included her in the trailer to make people who want to see Mitchell say "Hey, there's Dehner - it's gotta be Mitchell". They also included the hands touching glass scene in the Japanese trailer indicating it must be Khan because that happened in the last Khan movie!

The people who cut this trailer are playing on expectations and rumors and doing a brilliant job of it.

My guess is that it's actually a new character. Because why bother rebooting a universe if you're just going to tell the same stories? That said, if it is an existing character I think they'll go with Garth and change his story up significantly. He's a relatively unknown character and his episode, while memorable, wasn't the brilliant piece of work that Where No Man Has Gone Before, Space Seed, or TWOK were.
Old December 9 2012, 01:32 AM   #18
teacock
Admiral

Thing is if it's a new character where's the Big Reveal in that?

J.J. : "The villain of Into Darkness is SINBOTH THE HORRIBLE!"

Fans: " "

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 01:37 AM   #19
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

lol - I kind of hope his name is Sinboth now...

There is no reveal, but that's kind of the point. We've all been constructing this scenario in our heads that this HAS to be a character we've seen before. I think they're completely screwing with us by dropping all these hints.

I guess MY point is that why does there have to be a big, jaw-dropping reveal? Why not enjoy a good, fresh villain?
Old December 9 2012, 01:49 AM   #20
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I suppose it could be a totally brand new character but Bob Orci did say that Cumberbatch was playing a canon character. But then the thought occurred to me that the character can be a never before seen character and Orci's statement can still be true. People assume his statement means that the character was one seen on TOS because it's referred to as a canon character but he could be playing word games. If Cumberbatch is playing Joe Bob the Destroyer he can be considered being a canon character simpy by being in the movie.
Old December 9 2012, 01:53 AM   #21
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Orci is pretty much full of shit, so that "he's a canon character because he's in a canon Trek film" is a very likely possibility.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 03:26 AM   #22
SiddFinch1
Commander

Peter wellers character is the big bad guy. Cumberbatch will be stsrfleet officer Sam kirk who was part of section. 31 or similar group led by Weller. He destroys a bunch of sect 31 ships to stop a massacre and uses kirk like.unorthodox metlhods which cause a lot of innocent deaths accidently ..and they send Jim after him.eventually
Jim thinks Sam.is guilty and Sam thinks.Jim is part.of.the.bad guys group. Weller.kills.Sam and Jim takes.out weller
Old December 9 2012, 04:50 AM   #23
SG-17
Commodore

Well apparently he is former Starfleet, so either Mitchell or Garth.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 06:31 AM   #24
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

After spending the past year-plus rooting for Gary Mitchell I have now abruptly changed my vote to Lord Garth. Cuuuuz...

1. Cumberbatch looks more like a Lord Garth (supercilious egomaniacal nutcase) than a Gary Mitchell (who I'd expect to be cast with some fresh faced young guy, an evil version of Pine's Kirk.)

2. We can't have a villain named Gary. Seriously.

3. There were clues for both Khan and Mitchell in the extended version of the trailer. Since it can't be both, that means Abrams is frakking with us. Lord Garth it is!

I bet in earlier drafts they wanted Khan though, and couldn't make the villain's motivation work as well, as a bad apple who just came from within Starfleet to begin with.
I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. It's only when you start thinking about Khan that you realize he's hard to work into a movie from scratch. Too much explanation and setup needed, so you'd have to focus and simplify him so much, you'd end up with someone closer to Mitchell or Garth anyway.

Because why bother rebooting a universe if you're just going to tell the same stories?
Why bother recasting Kirk and Spock? They could have gone with an all new cast and time period. They decided to reboot the main characters, so why stop now? To most of the audience, everything is new. Even Khan would be, and he's the only TOS villain with any pop culture awareness.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 07:25 AM   #25
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Vorta Claus wrote: View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. It's only when you start thinking about Khan that you realize he's hard to work into a movie from scratch. Too much explanation and setup needed, so you'd have to focus and simplify him so much, you'd end up with someone closer to Mitchell or Garth anyway.
What would be so hard to explain about Khan? Section 31 (which will be a part of the movie, I'm absolutely sure) found some frozen, genetically engineered super human from the past drifting in space and somehow made him angry. Now he will have his vengeance. That would probably take 10 seconds of screen time, 30 seconds if they are using flashbacks.
Old December 9 2012, 07:28 AM   #26
Oso Blanco
Commodore

My vote goes to Holo-Moriarty from the prime future ...
Old December 9 2012, 10:48 AM   #27
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Vorta Claus wrote: View Post
2. We can't have a villain named Gary. Seriously.
I think you've nailed it. I mean, can you imagine:

No.
Old December 9 2012, 11:03 AM   #28
lurok
Commodore

I'm convinced it's a partial remake of TFF. Cumby is Sybok, Peter Weller is St John Talbot, and the lava scenes are part of climax where we finally get to see the rockman.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 11:26 AM   #29
AJBlue98
Lieutenant

View AJBlue98's Twitter Profile

I'm calling this one for Kodos... only because it makes sense to my writer’s mind for this bad guy to have had a different enough back story to make him extra interesting this time around.
AJBlue98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2012, 11:42 AM   #30
The Green Mushroom
Commander

I vote Harry Mudd, if only because then I would understand all the secrecy.

J.J., "The villain is Harry Mudd!"

Fans, "Really?"

I could easily see:

Mitchell, Khan, Garth--for obvious reasons already stated.

Kodos--for similar reasons though he seems to not be all that popular a guess and I was under the impression he was a bit older than Kirk.

Trelane--because it would be such a radical difference to the character.

And just because I can....

Jean Luc Picard--who is very, very angry that he was erased from history so he's teaming up with Gary Seven who has time travelled forward from his home in the 20th Century to fix the timeline.
The Green Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote