Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 11 2012, 08:40 AM   #1
Lighthammer
Fleet Captain

The kids from "Disaster" Episode

You know, I'm half surprised no one developed the kids shown in the episode Disaster. Sure, by the time Voyager rolled around, none of them could have graduated Star Fleet Academy yet (provided they went that direction) but by the time the movies hit, it seems like it would have been a very nice plug.

Marissa Flores in particular seemed like the character had potential to emerge as a Star Fleet officer down the road.
Old December 11 2012, 09:07 AM   #2
Tiberius
Commodore

Re: The kids from "Disaster" Episode

She probably is, serving on the good ship USS Elsewhere.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 02:34 PM   #3
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

You mean Marissa Amber Flores Picard? The captain of the kids crew, Princess of the planet Essex, and adopted daughter of Captain Picard?

http://www.svamcentral.org/ewic/ms-mar.html
Old December 11 2012, 02:37 PM   #4
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Is that site for real? Will have to check it out when I get more time!
Old December 11 2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

It is - there's a kid names Stephen Ratliff who did a WHOLE series of (weird, creepy) fanfic about that character. They're all absolutely TERRIBLE. But, some folk did us the service of doing the MST3K treatment to them which makes them HILARIOUS. They're classics.
Old December 11 2012, 04:13 PM   #6
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Picard had them all blacklisted from Starfleet Academy for being kids on -his- starship. Yep.
Old December 11 2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Ro_Laren
Commodore

As far as the episode Disaster goes, I found the storylines on the Bridge, Ten-Forward, and the Cargo Bay more interesting than the one with Picard & the kids on the Turbolift. Every time it gets to the Picard scenes where he is stuck with those kids in the Turbolift, I'm tempted to skip the scenes.
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 06:49 PM   #8
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Bishop76 wrote: View Post
You mean Marissa Amber Flores Picard? The captain of the kids crew, Princess of the planet Essex, and adopted daughter of Captain Picard?

http://www.svamcentral.org/ewic/ms-mar.html

Wait, the original fanfic writer was serious?

I just the first couple of pages of the MST'ed version and can't bear to read any more, even when satirised. But still...

(stuff I just realised: 1) he probably posts, or at least reads this board, or has done at some point. If so, dude, what were you thinking, but be happy that your efforts have probably entertained countless numbers of people. Admittedly not how you intended, but still! 2) He was probably really young when he wrote that stuff and is now a lawyer or accountant or executive somewhere and lives in fear of his colleagues finding out about his alter ego as the Bulwer-Lytton of Trek fanfic. )
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 06:55 PM   #9
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

That's what makes them extra excellent (and extra creepy). Knowing that somewhere, there was a guy saying to himself "Nice! Knocked that one out of the park!" After writing the story of how Princess Marissa Amber Flores Picard lost her virginity. Yeah, that actually happens.
Old December 11 2012, 06:58 PM   #10
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Also, all of the kids featured in that elevator are stars in Ratliff's story. Though I think my favorite is the one where they go back in time and meet Chelsea Clinton who informs them that Star Trek is a TV show. It's bananas. I can't tell you the number of times I was literally in tears laughing at these.
Old December 11 2012, 07:08 PM   #11
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Damn, now you're tempting me to go back and read some more...
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 08:27 PM   #12
Lighthammer
Fleet Captain

This is starting to sound a bit creepy.

When I brought this topic up I was thinking more along the lines of her she shoulding up on a random posting like O'Brian, Jelico or even Shelby --- not end up in a fan fick of her losing her virginity >.<

Having Picard adopt her might have been somewhat "fun" for a story if it was executed right (IE Having a mission where perhaps her parents died or something) --- but I do have to admit, just the summaries of her kind of creep me out; alas, this is the internet though!

Last edited by Lighthammer; December 11 2012 at 08:59 PM.
Lighthammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 08:31 PM   #13
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

It's only mildly creepy - it's a lot more hilarious than weird. Though the weird bits are hilarious too.
Old December 12 2012, 03:18 AM   #14
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

They were blacklisted from Starfleet the moment they turned 7 and couldn't do Advanced Calculus.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 08:20 AM   #15
BeatleJWOL
Captain

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

Holdfast wrote: View Post
(stuff I just realised: 1) he probably posts, or at least reads this board, or has done at some point. If so, dude, what were you thinking, but be happy that your efforts have probably entertained countless numbers of people. Admittedly not how you intended, but still! 2) He was probably really young when he wrote that stuff and is now a lawyer or accountant or executive somewhere and lives in fear of his colleagues finding out about his alter ego as the Bulwer-Lytton of Trek fanfic. )
Those that create such bizarre things are not always within the realm of reality: case in point.
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote