Star Trek Uniform Laptop Bag And Fanny Pack
By: T'Bonz on May 26

Star Trek: The Fifty Year Mission
By: T'Bonz on May 26

Where No Garden Gnome Has Gone Before
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Scotland Yard Trekkie Fear
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old August 2 2014, 04:59 PM   #751
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

http://www.slashfilm.com/fantastic-f...photo-twitter/

Well, that was quick. Filming has ended on this shoot and Kate Mara posted a selfie of herself and the other 3 (not in costume, before you get excited) to mark it.

Other than the purported Thing pic (which I think was real, as other pages reported being asked to take it down), there hasn't been a peep from the makers of this film during the shoot. This could be interpreted as Abrams-like secrecy but, as the link I posted suggests, it's odd, particularly given that comic-con was last week. Given the negative buzz that seems to be circling the movie (I could be wrong but from what I've seen on other sites and pages, the mostly negative response on this thread is fairly representative of a lot of fan attitude, while Marvel are apparently doing little to publicise the FF in the comic world), one would've thought it might've been a good move to release a pic of them in character and maybe silence the critics.

Maybe Fox is holding back its marketing of the film but am I the only one wondering if eyre preparing to let it die?
Old August 2 2014, 09:29 PM   #752
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

If they're done filming, they're clearly not prepared to let it die. It would make no sense. They could at least release the film, protect their rights, and sell it back to Marvel (as opposed to stopping the film, losing their rights, and having it revert back to Marvel free of charge). If I'm lucky enough to find the link I'll post it, but Marvel has flat out denied sabotaging their comics with the hopes of hurting Fox and getting their rights back.

But I agree with your greater point that it's surprising they finished filming so quickly and twice as surprising that they didn't have anything for SDCC if they were that close to finishing.
Old August 2 2014, 10:28 PM   #753
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It's happened before, it'll happen again.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 10:42 PM   #754
Alidar Jarok

I could link to the released film with the same quote, though. My point is they're not going to pretend to film a movie. They're either going to film it or not film it.
Old August 2 2014, 10:56 PM   #755
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Google can't find pictures of Kate Mara in her invisible girl outfit.

She may have the body of a 9 year old boy, but I like cosplay.

Something wiggy is going on.

Meanwhile can you imagine the new movie's costume designer going into a radical excitation as he, or she finally put their work to rest because they saw the new reboot of the comic (6 months ago) where the new fantastic four costumes were "RED" and black instead of blue and black?

Old August 2 2014, 10:59 PM   #756
Mr Light
Admiral

View Mr Light's Twitter Profile

How the hell did they film an entire movie without a single spy shot?!

I can only assume this was shot entirely on sound stages.

Which doesn't bode well for the realism and scale of the film....
Old August 2 2014, 11:02 PM   #757
Alidar Jarok

As of a couple of weeks ago, Kate Mara had not seen a Fantastic Four costume in the film. Now that filming is done, I think it's safe to say there are no uniforms or they appear only at the end. I'm OK with that since the Fantastic Four didn't start with uniforms either.
Old August 2 2014, 11:57 PM   #758
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
If they're done filming, they're clearly not prepared to let it die. It would make no sense. They could at least release the film, protect their rights, and sell it back to Marvel (as opposed to stopping the film, losing their rights, and having it revert back to Marvel free of charge). If I'm lucky enough to find the link I'll post it, but Marvel has flat out denied sabotaging their comics with the hopes of hurting Fox and getting their rights back.

But I agree with your greater point that it's surprising they finished filming so quickly and twice as surprising that they didn't have anything for SDCC if they were that close to finishing.

Maybe 'die' was the wrong word. I'm not suggesting that Fox won't release the film. But does it perhaps look like they have no faith in it being a successful franchise and aren't going to waste time and money promoting it?

Maybe they have a strategy re its promotion and are going to play a long game. But considering that we've seen pics from Batman v Superman already or compared to the promotion which some of Fox's X-Men verse films got well in advance, this does seem at best to be an extremely muted promotional strategy.
Old August 3 2014, 12:02 AM   #759
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It can't be worse than Rise of the Silver Surfer.

Bite the ####ing bullet already.

Old August 3 2014, 12:31 AM   #760
Alidar Jarok

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post

Maybe 'die' was the wrong word. I'm not suggesting that Fox won't release the film. But does it perhaps look like they have no faith in it being a successful franchise and aren't going to waste time and money promoting it?
Don't get me wrong, I get the feeling the movie will feel "small." The fast filming just seems like it doesn't have a wide scope or lots of set pieces and locations.
Old August 3 2014, 01:31 AM   #761
Aldo
Admiral

Is this a thing now? Is there really a theory that Fox has no intentions of releasing the film? Because this is the first time I've ever heard anyone suggest that.
Old August 3 2014, 01:36 AM   #762
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

4 or 5 posts up.

No booth at Comicon.

Maybe they'll release the pic, but they're not proud about it.

I would start my Fantastic Four movie with a pregnant Sue, shortly after the death of Reed Richards, in her maternity miniskirt (It was a the 70s. jack was a weirdo or I'm imagining things.) trying to decide if she's going to start dating Dr Doom or Namor...

Julian McMahon is Australian. Try to imagine if the Latverian accent was INDISTINGUISHABLE from an Australian accent?

Last edited by Guy Gardener; August 3 2014 at 02:58 AM.
Old August 3 2014, 01:44 AM   #763
JD
Admiral

I didn't realize they had even started filming.
I do agree that the lack of promotion, especially at Comic-Con, does seem kind of odd. I had just assumed they didn't have anything done to show yet, but if they're done filming you'd think there would be something they could show somewhere.
Old August 3 2014, 02:55 AM   #764
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Not saying this is necessarily the case, but, wouldn't it be nice if they weren't at Comic-Con and aren't deluging social media and entertainment hype chambers because they're putting all their focus on actually making a good movie?

I'm not saying you can't do both - DOFP was at Comic-Con last year, and it's outstanding. But I haven't been to any movie Cons, yet am already sick to death of BvS: D'oh!, and am dreading two more damn years of hearing about it every other damn week, when I'm 90% sure it's gonna end up sucking anyway.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 03:59 AM   #765
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i love the FF...but it just seems like there will never be a good film based on the comic.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote