RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 438
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 26 2014, 07:59 AM   #736
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

I don't think that anyone has the stones to call bullshit on that.

Y'know, to his face.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 08:01 AM   #737
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Janus VI wrote: View Post
Maybe its just a bad photo, but shouldn't Thing's eyes be blue?
They look blue to me...but it's just a stand-in/CGI reference prop anyway.
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 10:02 AM   #738
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Looks darker and grittier-- literally.
Old July 26 2014, 10:25 AM   #739
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I think it looks good, if real. It wouldn't really bother me if they depart from the orange colour.
Old July 26 2014, 10:31 AM   #740
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Fuck that! What's next? A Red Hulk?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 05:28 AM   #741
JD
Admiral

I like it. If this is the final color and everything, I'm not that worried. They change a lot of stuff for movies, so try to worry about stuff like that. I don't really see this being any different than the Batsuits in not being grey or blue in most of the movie, or the X-Men wearing black leather.
Old July 30 2014, 12:21 PM   #742
Christopher
Writer

Heck, the orange was probably just the closest they could come to brown using the limited color palette of early comics. Just like Batman's "blue" cape was originally supposed to be a black cape with blue used to represent its highlights (much like characters meant to be black-haired were often shown with blue hair).

Then again, Kirby originally intended the Thing to be scaly, not rocky. The rocky texture came from later artists' interpretations. So maybe he was meant to be orange.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 12:32 PM   #743
the G-man
Commodore

Then again, Kirby originally intended the Thing to be scaly, not rocky. The rocky texture came from later artists' interpretations. So maybe he was meant to be orange.
Actually, Kirby himself switched to drawing the Thing with the rocky texture fairly early in the character's development IIRC. And didn't Kirby draw the book for approximately 100 issues, most of which featured the rocky thing
Old July 30 2014, 12:41 PM   #744
Christopher
Writer

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...-revealed-253/

You see, first off, Kirby wanted the Thing to be like dinosaur hide.
Even after he first made the Thing change appearance, Kirby was STILL thinking in terms of “dinosaur hard plates” rather than “rocks.”
[Inker] Dick Ayers could never figure out what Kirby wanted, but TRIED to at least move from the Thing being “muddy” to the Thing being “scaly,” but it was not until Goerge Roussos began inking the book that the Thing pretty much overnight became “rocky,” as Roussos tried to capture what he thought Kirby wanted.
At the time, though, Kirby kept penciling the Thing the same way – like a scaly/
plate-y” creature, it was just up to his inkers on how they interpreted the look.
Then when Joe Sinnott took over as inker and basically created the modern look for the Thing, Kirby eventually changed the way he pencilled the character to match.

So it wasn't Kirby who switched the look at first, it was his inkers, redrawing his rounded "dinosaur scales" into angular "rock plates," as shown in the images in the linked article. But it was a little while longer before Kirby actually changed the way he drew the character.

Just goes to show how important inkers are to the process.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2014, 04:48 PM   #745
Doctorwhovian
Commander

I wonder if they had that in mind when the Thing was briefly redesigned/mutated in the 80s. He had some Dinosaur-like characteristics with that new look. Joe Sinnott inked those issues, oddly enough. This was also the era of the "She-Thing"-Sharon Ventura (Mrs. Marvel II) transformed into a Thing as well.
Doctorwhovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 01:42 AM   #746
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Heck, the orange was probably just the closest they could come to brown using the limited color palette of early comics.
Long before the Thing, comics had no problem coloring anything brown. From skin color, to hamburger buns to dirt, the various tones under the category of brown was possible.
Old July 31 2014, 01:44 AM   #747
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Its going to be a train wreck.
Probably.
Old July 31 2014, 09:47 AM   #748
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Doctorwhovian wrote: View Post
I wonder if they had that in mind when the Thing was briefly redesigned/mutated in the 80s. He had some Dinosaur-like characteristics with that new look. Joe Sinnott inked those issues, oddly enough. This was also the era of the "She-Thing"-Sharon Ventura (Mrs. Marvel II) transformed into a Thing as well.
What they did there was make the changes in art part of the story-- basically, they were saying that Ben underwent an initially rough transformation that became more refined over time. His appearance evolved as his body adapted to the change. Then when it happened to Sharon, she went through the same process.
Old July 31 2014, 06:09 PM   #749
Doctorwhovian
Commander

Yeah, there was also a change during the Bryne era from rocky thing to muddy thing as well for a few issues. (Although Stegosaurus/Ankylosaurus Thing appeared in the Steve Englehart/Kevin Pollard/Joe Sinnot issues and in a few Simonsons).
Doctorwhovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 07:39 PM   #750
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Heck, the orange was probably just the closest they could come to brown using the limited color palette of early comics.
Long before the Thing, comics had no problem coloring anything brown. From skin color, to hamburger buns to dirt, the various tones under the category of brown was possible.
Indeed, in the first issue the Thing's trunks were colored brown. Color reprints tend to retcon them blue, though the blue uniforms wouldn't be established until #3.