ISS Astronaut May Join Trek Fan Film
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Quinto Sports New Trek Uniform
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Star Trek: Renegades Released Early
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Final Trek To Boldly Go Video Honors Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old February 25 2014, 05:44 PM   #616
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
^According to you, yes. Obviously the millions like myself who saw it and filled the coffers of 20th Century Fox, making it one of the big box office hits of 2005 think otherwise.
Also according to 27% at Rotten Tomatoes.
Old February 25 2014, 05:54 PM   #617
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ I don't think sites like RT have any true relevance, especially if/when what they indicate is belied by box-office performance.
Old February 25 2014, 08:12 PM   #618
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
^According to you, yes. Obviously the millions like myself who saw it and filled the coffers of 20th Century Fox, making it one of the big box office hits of 2005 think otherwise.
Also according to 27% at Rotten Tomatoes.
That's critics. Audience, although still not impressive is almost 50% (46%).

It wasn't fantastic, but, i mostly enjoyed it

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 08:19 PM   #619
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

I remember the German comedian and fan of movies and TV Oliver Kalkofe once said, the FF movie is one of the worse comic book movies, but of those it's one of the better ones.

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 11:27 PM   #620
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

theenglish wrote: View Post
No need to explain anything, other than establish them as brother and sister.
That's literally all I want - a statement of "don't worry guys, they're still brother and sister." I think you misunderstood where my fear is coming from. My fear is that they decided to get rid of the brother/sister dynamic because they didn't want to depict a multiracial family (we already know that they didn't want to hire two black actors in prominent roles so I don't think my fear is unjustified). A statement clarifying that they aren't changing this element would be very reassuring given all the rumors floating around about drastic changes.
Old February 25 2014, 11:54 PM   #621
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
That's literally all I want - a statement of "don't worry guys, they're still brother and sister." I think you misunderstood where my fear is coming from. My fear is that they decided to get rid of the brother/sister dynamic because they didn't want to depict a multiracial family (we already know that they didn't want to hire two black actors in prominent roles so I don't think my fear is unjustified). A statement clarifying that they aren't changing this element would be very reassuring given all the rumors floating around about drastic changes.
Okay, then I agree. I would be very disappointed if the family dynamic was changed. That IS what the Fantastic Four is all about.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 12:01 AM   #622
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

It seems like your fear that they may be abandoning the brother/sister dynamic is based on the fact that they chose a black actor to play Johnny. Ask yourself this; if a white actor had been chosen to play Johnny, would this action have made you concerned that the brother/sister dynamic was being dropped?

When I heard that Michael B. Jordan was being considered to play the Torch, it never occurred to me that this might mean that Johnny and Sue would no longer be brother and sister. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who felt this way, just as I'm sure others felt the way you do.

I do think they'll offer some explanation, though it is hardly necessary.
gblews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 12:31 AM   #623
theenglish
Rear Admiral

gblews wrote: View Post
It seems like your fear that they may be abandoning the brother/sister dynamic is based on the fact that they chose a black actor to play Johnny. Ask yourself this; if a white actor had been chosen to play Johnny, would this action have made you concerned that the brother/sister dynamic was being dropped?

When I heard that Michael B. Jordan was being considered to play the Torch, it never occurred to me that this might mean that Johnny and Sue would no longer be brother and sister. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who felt this way, just as I'm sure others felt the way you do.

I do think they'll offer some explanation, though it is hardly necessary.
I think that many of us didn't question that the brother/sister dynamic would continue. It never even dawned on me that that might be in question. But I think we should take the original poster at his word and not belabor the issue.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 01:22 AM   #624
Alidar Jarok

It seems like your fear that they may be abandoning the brother/sister dynamic is based on the fact that they chose a black actor to play Johnny.
No, it was based on hiring a white actress to play Susan Storm. That and the persistent rumors about the radical overhaul of their origin story.

Ask yourself this; if a white actor had been chosen to play Johnny, would this action have made you concerned that the brother/sister dynamic was being dropped?
If they cast Susan with a black actress, I'd have the same concern, yeah. Keep in mind that I've been supportive of Michael B. Jordan's casting. It's everyone else I'm concerned about. And I can't shake this feeling that the people who are making these decisions said "We'll hire one black person to look like a diverse cast, but we absolutely don't want two." That's concerning to me. And if they followed that up by deciding that they'd change the connection between the Storm's to fit this casting decision, it would be a deal breaker.
Old February 26 2014, 09:28 PM   #625
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

It seems like your fear that they may be abandoning the brother/sister dynamic is based on the fact that they chose a black actor to play Johnny.
No, it was based on hiring a white actress to play Susan Storm. That and the persistent rumors about the radical overhaul of their origin story.

Ask yourself this; if a white actor had been chosen to play Johnny, would this action have made you concerned that the brother/sister dynamic was being dropped?
If they cast Susan with a black actress, I'd have the same concern, yeah. Keep in mind that I've been supportive of Michael B. Jordan's casting. It's everyone else I'm concerned about. And I can't shake this feeling that the people who are making these decisions said "We'll hire one black person to look like a diverse cast, but we absolutely don't want two." That's concerning to me. And if they followed that up by deciding that they'd change the connection between the Storm's to fit this casting decision, it would be a deal breaker.
You should see who they're casting to play Annie and Daddy Warbucks in the next Annie movie....

Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2014, 11:42 PM   #626
Alidar Jarok

Cool. I never saw the movie, but I know she did a great job in Beasts of the Southern Wild.

Although wasn't this a plot of Boston Legal
Old February 26 2014, 11:46 PM   #627
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The pilot episode of Boston legal had black Annie.

I'm more concerned that Jamie didn't shave his head.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 01:06 AM   #628
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

Also, he's called "Benjamin Stacks" rather than Daddy Warbucks. (which is pretty cool, though)
Old February 27 2014, 08:35 AM   #629
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

AvBaur wrote: View Post
Also, he's called "Benjamin Stacks" rather than Daddy Warbucks. (which is pretty cool, though)
I find myself surprised at liking that.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 11:32 AM   #630
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Are we sure if it's Stacks or Stax?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote