MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 22 2014, 12:30 AM   #601
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

gblews wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I hope they quickly explain Johnny and Susan's relationship.
Why?
To reassure people they care who these characters are. It's ok in my book to change the source material, it's not ok to be embarrassed or indifferent to it.
Old February 22 2014, 01:22 AM   #602
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Why?
To reassure people they care who these characters are.
How would an explanation of Johnny and Sue's relationship show that the producers care about the charaters?
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 01:39 AM   #603
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I try to keep an open mind on these things. However, while I've liked all 3 of the actors I know (i.e. all except Teller, who I've never seen in anything), I don't have any great enthusiasm about the idea of them playing 3/4 of the Fantastic Four. I've no problem with the idea of a black Johnny Storm but this whole group, to me, does not at first blush strike me as representative of the FF dynamic. They could well prove me wrong of course.

The director's habit of denying rumours, which then turn out to be true, while not strictly relevant to the film, has become a little tiresome. It also makes me think that there must be at least some truth to the rumoured story line which AICN and others posted and which led to a flurry of lawyers' letters. And which didn't sound terribly good.

So this could be okay, it's far too early to write it off. But I just can't get very enthusiastic.
Old February 22 2014, 02:02 AM   #604
Alidar Jarok

Why?
To reassure people they care who these characters are.
How would an explanation of Johnny and Sue's relationship show that the producers care about the charaters?
If they said that they're not brother and sister, it shows a failure to recognize the importance of the family dynamic.
Old February 22 2014, 02:17 AM   #605
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
It may not change the comics in my collection but it will keep this movie out of my collection.
*Rimshot*

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Ben Grimm shouldn't look like the chess club could beat him up.
"The Yancy Street Chess Club"...hmmm....
Old February 22 2014, 03:10 AM   #606
Christopher
Writer

If they said that they're not brother and sister, it shows a failure to recognize the importance of the family dynamic.
Considering that Ben's always been treated as part of the family even though he's not related to any of the other three, I'm not sure that necessarily follows.

But as I already said, in this day and age of adoptions and increasingly common mixed marriages, there's no reason why two siblings can't be of different ethnicities.

I have seen one or two things before which featured siblings of different races, and the fact that one was adopted was generally addressed quite briefly and simply.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2014, 03:36 AM   #607
Alidar Jarok

The fact that the Storm siblings are siblings has been an important part of their characterization. If they're half-siblings adopted whatever I don't care. I'm just saying I don't have a lot of faith in this movie so far and that'll help restore some of it.
Old February 24 2014, 01:27 AM   #608
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Well, I've officially given up on this movie. It looks like only the Marvel made movies can cast good people anymore (well, except about half of the GotG cast, but I'm hoping the good ones carry the bad onesin that case). This is DC movie level of horrible casting. Hopefully this will bomb so badly that it become too unprofitable a franchise to keep around, leading to Marvel eventually getting it back. I wonder if they'll cap this movie off by kicking Stan Lee in the groin and peeing on Jack Kirby's corpse in a pre-release event, which is probably the only way to disrespect the FF more. It will be interesting to see who ends up with the worse cast, Batman/Superman or this. I'm leaning toward BM/SM, but FF has the advantage of really inappropriate casting that probably signals a complete disregard for the source material. If nothing else, FF will at least fail in a way that isn't just the standard horrible writing like Rise of the Silver Surfer did.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2014, 02:14 AM   #609
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Well, I've officially given up on this movie.
Out of curiosity, which upcoming movies have you not already given up on?
Old February 24 2014, 08:19 AM   #610
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Ancient Mariner wrote: View Post
Well, I've officially given up on this movie.
Out of curiosity, which upcoming movies have you not already given up on?
Well, when it comes to superhero movies (that are based off stuff I'm interested in) and are coming out (or almost certainly coming out in one case) in the next few years:

Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
X-Men Days of Future Past
Ant-Man movie (if it ever gets made)
Avengers 2

So, if its a Marvel movie or X-Men movie , then its a superhero movie I'm excited for, even if the casting of GotG and Ant-Man aren't looking to be anywhere near as good as the main Marvel movies casting. If its DC or a Marvel franchise not being done by Marvel/Disney, then I'm already pre disposed toward hating it. FF, Amazing Spider-Man, and the Goyer/Snyder Dc film(s) are all things I have completely given up on. I'll still see the Goyer movies and FF when I can see them for free on DVD from the library, but that's because I have an unfortunately strong case of morbid curiosity when it comes to franchises that I enjoy, even if they've been ruined.

When it comes to other specific franchises I enjoy, like in the sci fi and Fantasy genres, most of them either aren't franchises that would have theatrical movies (like Doctor Who) or are basically done, probably forever(Babylon 5, Firefly, Stargate). I am excited for the third Hobbit movie, I guess.

Still, I have completely given up on Star Trek and Star Wars when it comes to live action. From a movie (and almost certainly TV) perspective, they're completely dead. They just have a moron dragging their corpses through the mud for awhile, and I have definitely given up on them ever coming back to life, at least as long as they're being ruined by the current morons working on them.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 04:30 AM   #611
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

lurok wrote: View Post
Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Mark Millar, consultant on the movie, recently said that the reboot will stick close to what Jack Kirby and Stan Lee did with the Fantastic Four and won't be "grim and gritty."
Um. Wasn't that the first two? If it's halfway decent I guess I'll stump up a ticket if it's a wet afternoon.
The first two weren't grim or gritty, but were happy-too happy for most moviegoers and long-time fans, it seems. I loved the previous two movies (in particular how Reed's financial situation was handled, and how it was Doom that has to be the one that provided the money and the ship to go into space, and Sue being a scientist [taken from Ultimate Fantastic Four, I'll bet]). I hope that the new movie's as good as the first one from 2005.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2014, 05:32 AM   #612
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Actually, the FF movie in 2005 was pure crap.
Old February 25 2014, 12:38 PM   #613
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

^According to you, yes. Obviously the millions like myself who saw it and filled the coffers of 20th Century Fox, making it one of the big box office hits of 2005 think otherwise.
Old February 25 2014, 12:45 PM   #614
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Still, I have completely given up on Star Trek and Star Wars when it comes to live action. From a movie (and almost certainly TV) perspective, they're completely dead. They just have a moron dragging their corpses through the mud for awhile, and I have definitely given up on them ever coming back to life, at least as long as they're being ruined by the current morons working on them.
Rest assured, Disney and Paramount won't lose any sleep over how much you hate J.J. Abrams based on your emotarian purity poutrage about Star Trek continuity/canon being 'violated' and your similar poutrage about Star Wars.
Old February 25 2014, 02:40 PM   #615
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Why?
Agreed. Why? Do they have to show their family in a cereal ad?

Mixed families represent a large percentage of the American population. No need to explain anything, other than establish them as brother and sister. When the President of the United States is of mixed parentage, one would think that this would no longer need explaining.

I can't seem to find it right now, but Rolling Stone has a list of 15( or 20 or 25) stars of mixed parentage. Some of them are quite well known to me to have a white and a black parent such as Maya Rudolph, Lennie Kravitz, and Drake but there were many others that I did not know.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote