Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 20 2014, 08:35 AM   #556
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Umm, okaaay... That is some of the strangest casting I've heard in awhile. If anything, they seem to be going even younger than the casting for the previous movies. Which I'm guessing is not what the comic fans were hoping for when they announced the reboot...
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 11:22 AM   #557
Christopher
Writer

My preference, as I may have mentioned earlier in the thread, would be to see the FF as the established first family of superheroes, with a more mature Reed and Sue as parents to Franklin and Valeria. But in the context of the films, where the FF are being added to the X-Men universe, that would be hard to justify. They kind of have to be new, because there's no evidence yet of any non-mutants with superpowers in that universe.

Still, I'll need to be convinced. The proof of the pudding and all. I was impressed by Trank's Chronicle on first viewing, but the second time, once the novelty wore off, it wasn't as interesting. So I'm not sure what to expect.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 11:47 AM   #558
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

If money was no object... And if sanity was no object, I would film the movie over the course of 15 years, so that there cold be a time travel adventure where the young FF face off against the old FF, but of course because of how long a 3 picture deal takes to roll out, they could film hours of subplots for movie three during the course of movie one, and then just wait 10 years to make the rest of movie three or four about time travel... Just like how we have been waiting 8 years for the final 8 year old scene for the last seconds of How I met your Mother.

The really problem about this absurd proccess is that Hollywood actors DO NOT AGE!

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 01:12 PM   #559
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I'm just judging by appearances, but I'm not seeing Reed Richards. I hope they quickly explain Johnny and Susan's relationship.
Old February 20 2014, 03:55 PM   #560
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

She has vitiligo.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 04:04 PM   #561
Christopher
Writer

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I'm just judging by appearances, but I'm not seeing Reed Richards.
I did a Google image search on Teller, and from some angles he has a Reed-like facial structure. But the eyes will take some getting used to.

I hope they quickly explain Johnny and Susan's relationship.
Easy -- one of them's adopted. Or maybe one or both of their parents was divorced and brought a kid from their first marriage. I recently read that 1 in 10 marriages in America today are mixed-race; surely a fair number of those are second marriages with kids involved. So a brother and sister being of different ethnicities isn't as anomalous today as it would've been a generation or two ago.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 05:13 PM   #562
the G-man
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
My preference, as I may have mentioned earlier in the thread, would be to see the FF as the established first family of superheroes, with a more mature Reed and Sue as parents to Franklin and Valeria. But in the context of the films, where the FF are being added to the X-Men universe, that would be hard to justify....
Seems fairly easy to justify most of what you'd like to see (if I understand you correctly). In the original comics, Reed and Ben were already middle aged when they first got their powers. Just go with that and then have a storyline where, unlike the hated and feared mutants, the FF quickly become established and beloved.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 05:18 PM   #563
Trek4Ever
Fleet Captain

To paraphrase my favorite line from the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer:
"They call themselves the Fantastic Four."
"What a bunch of A-holes."
Trek4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 07:08 PM   #564
Electric Coleslaw
Rear Admiral

You know, this isn't a movie based off a book where the characters are described but the readers kind of visualize them based on their own perceptions. These characters have been drawn and animated for decades. We expect them to look like they do in the comics. No one expects it to be exact, but come on!!!
Old February 20 2014, 07:18 PM   #565
davejames
Vice Admiral

Actually the one casting I don't have a problem with is Jordan as Johnny Storm. It's all the others that seem completely off to me. They somehow look even less like the iconic characters than the ones from the Tim Story movies.

Although I guess now we know why Mara was seen with blonde hair recently...
http://www.luckymag.com/beauty/2014/...latinum-blonde
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 07:20 PM   #566
the G-man
Commodore

I would have been thrilled with an all-black version of FF if they'd gotten the approximate ages and personalities right: Denzel for Reed, Kerry Washington for Sue, the kid from Chronicle as Johnny and Terry Crews as Ben.
Old February 20 2014, 07:24 PM   #567
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Electric Coleslaw wrote: View Post
You know, this isn't a movie based off a book where the characters are described but the readers kind of visualize them based on their own perceptions. These characters have been drawn and animated for decades. We expect them to look like they do in the comics. No one expects it to be exact, but come on!!!
Meh. #FirstWorldProblem.

The comic book reader is the minority audience member FOX is going after. Comic book reader numbers are small.

They are going after a global market, action adventure plays very well over seas, and, obviously, it plays well here at home in the US. That's why they want these properties. Not because of the "enormous" number of comic book readers.

And besides, it's an adaptation of the comic. Changes are going to be made regardless. And why not mix things up? Why not change things? Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't.

It doesn't change the comics in your comic book collection.
Old February 20 2014, 07:31 PM   #568
the G-man
Commodore

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post

It doesn't change the comics in your comic book collection.
Tell that Nick Fury.
Old February 20 2014, 07:53 PM   #569
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

It may not change the comics in my collection but it will keep this movie out of my collection.
Old February 20 2014, 09:42 PM   #570
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

the G-man wrote: View Post
I would have been thrilled with an all-black version of FF if they'd gotten the approximate ages and personalities right: Denzel for Reed, Kerry Washington for Sue, the kid from Chronicle as Johnny and Terry Crews as Ben.
You know, that could be really cool. I'd totally go see that movie. Although Kerry Washington already played Alicia Masters.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote