Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 11 2013, 03:22 PM   #376
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Geoff Peterson wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
My dream cast for this - Michael B. Jordan for Johnny, Helen Mirren as Sue, Jonah Hill as Reed and Peter Dinklage as Ben Grimm.
Jonah Hill?!?!?!
I think he was going for sarcasm. Is Jonah Hill really that more outrageous than the other casting choices?
Actually with with forced perspective Dinklage could make a great Ben Grimm/Thing. But, yea, Helen Mirren, as awesome as she is, just isn't quite right for Sue

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 03:33 PM   #377
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I see Dinklage as more of a Reed type. A thinker.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 09:40 PM   #378
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

I would love if the film took place in the 1960s, but I guess that would be too much to hope. Plus, it probably wouldn't make much sense if they want to tie it to the X-Men films.

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 09:53 PM   #379
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

They should cast a real brother and sister as Sue and Johnny.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 11:15 PM   #380
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
They should cast a real brother and sister as Sue and Johnny.
Jaden and Willow Smith.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old October 12 2013, 04:49 AM   #381
Christopher
Writer

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
From the actors suggested...it seems like they're going the Ultimate Fantastic Four route.
Most of the recent Marvel movies have drawn elements from the Ultimate universe, or done similar things -- Galactus as a cosmic swarm, the Hulk's origin being linked to supersoldier serum, Nick Fury looking like Samuel L. Jackson, etc. Which makes sense, since both the Ultimate Universe and the movies are attempts to reinvent the Marvel universe with more modern sensibilities, to filter out some of the sillier, more dated, or more problematical aspects of the original works.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 05:34 AM   #382
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ Yes. I'm aware of that. I meant though with their ages this time. As I mentioned above they're much younger characters in the Ultimate Universe.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 09:06 AM   #383
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Caretaker wrote: View Post
I would love if the film took place in the 1960s, but I guess that would be too much to hope. Plus, it probably wouldn't make much sense if they want to tie it to the X-Men films.
If they'd made it a couple of years ago, they could've tied it to the X-Men First Class era. But with DOFP jumping forwards to the 1970s, I suppose that window has closed.
Old October 12 2013, 10:16 AM   #384
Wereghost
Someone's dog

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Jar Jar Binks wrote: View Post
Reed wasn't born a fortysomething with gray temples.
LOL, yea, I know that. But wasn't he that age in the origin stories? (IE: He's quite a bit older than Sue and Johnny, a good 10+ years?)
His implied age goes up and down a bit, I think. A comic book cover from 2011 puts his date of birth as 1961, but a one-off special from 1998 or so has Ben Grimm remarking that not one of the four had been born yet in 1961. Personally, I take his and Grimm's ages as having been about the same as Stan Lee's in 1961 and so probably fiftyish now. Maybe they should have marked the FF's fiftieth anniversary by making it Reed or Ben's fiftieth birthday. (I think it was X-Men #24 in 1993 that had the Beast musing about his own impending thirtieth. Thought it was a nice touch.)
Old October 12 2013, 02:17 PM   #385
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Geoff Peterson wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post

Jonah Hill?!?!?!
I think he was going for sarcasm. Is Jonah Hill really that more outrageous than the other casting choices?
Actually, yes. Jonah Hill should leave this planet as soon as possible. If there's a mission to Mars, he should be the first choice.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 05:41 PM   #386
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Not a fan, I take it?
Old October 13 2013, 02:39 AM   #387
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
From the actors suggested...it seems like they're going the Ultimate Fantastic Four route.
Most of the recent Marvel movies have drawn elements from the Ultimate universe, or done similar things -- Galactus as a cosmic swarm, the Hulk's origin being linked to supersoldier serum, Nick Fury looking like Samuel L. Jackson, etc. Which makes sense, since both the Ultimate Universe and the movies are attempts to reinvent the Marvel universe with more modern sensibilities, to filter out some of the sillier, more dated, or more problematical aspects of the original works.
The Ultimate Universe was also designed to be a cinematic universe with most of the original story arcs being set up like motion pictures. Fury was designed based on Jackson, the X-Men wore uniforms similar to the movie uniforms.

A lot of the movie costume designs are very similar to the Ultimate Universe as well with the exception being Iron Man.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 03:19 AM   #388
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Wereghost wrote: View Post
Personally, I take his and Grimm's ages as having been about the same as Stan Lee's in 1961 and so probably fiftyish now. Maybe they should have marked the FF's fiftieth anniversary by making it Reed or Ben's fiftieth birthday.
I always took it that in the 60s, Reed, Ben, and Nick Fury were supposed to have been about the same age as Stan and Jack, having also served in the war as young men. FWIW, in addition to only aging in comic book time, there was at least one minor de-aging in-continuity. A 1979-ish story had Reed, Ben, and Sue subjected to a Skrull aging ray as a slow means of execution. When Johnny finally cured them, he used too large a dose in desperation, and they were said to have come out a few years younger than they had been.
50 years ago on the week of April 4: With a little help from their latest #1 single, the Beatles occupy the top five spots on the Billboard Hot 100 chart--a feat yet to be matched.
The Old Mixer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 03:30 AM   #389
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

theenglish wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
The Ultimate Universe was also designed to be a cinematic universe with most of the original story arcs being set up like motion pictures. Fury was designed based on Jackson, the X-Men wore uniforms similar to the movie uniforms.

A lot of the movie costume designs are very similar to the Ultimate Universe as well with the exception being Iron Man.
And now it's dinner.
Old October 18 2013, 02:57 PM   #390
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

According to this site, Michael B. Jordan has signed to play the Human Torch. I don't know how reliable the site is though.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote