Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 0 0%
A 0 0%
A- 4 33.33%
B+ 0 0%
B 0 0%
B- 4 33.33%
C+ 1 8.33%
C 0 0%
C- 1 8.33%
D+ 0 0%
D 1 8.33%
D- 0 0%
F 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 24 2014, 09:49 PM   #1
Agent Richard07
Admiral

LUCY - Grading & Discussion

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

The Friday release stars Scarlett Johansson as a mob mule who inadvertently ingests a drug she was carrying in her stomach, which allows her to use more of her brain power than any other human in this futuristic world. She gains special abilities: eyes that change color, the sudden ability to write Chinese, superhuman strength and unlimited intelligence.

Fox & Friends host Elisabeth Hasselbeck said that according to a study, 65 percent of Americans believe the brain-use statistic quoted in Lucy is true, and the program sought to debunk the belief in a recent segment. "Of course it's a myth," Dr. David Samadi told Hasselbeck. "I think they're using this as a sound bite to get a lot of viewers. And it's an exciting movie, I would watch it." - Elisabeth Hasselbeck sat down with Dr. David Samadi to debunk the premise of Luc Besson's sci-fi thriller that humans use only 10 percent of their brains.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2014, 11:05 PM   #2
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: LUCY - Grading & Discussion

Hearing that "10% of the brain" line in the trailer, from Morgan Freeman no less, makes me want to throw things at my TV/wherever I'm seeing the trailer.

Now, I could get behind the idea that we only use 10% of our brain's capabilty because we as humans have a lot more potential but we do use 100% of our brain.

Anyway, ScarJo is a big part of me wanting to see this movie, but other than that it just looks interesting no matter what.
Old July 25 2014, 12:01 AM   #3
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Hearing that "10% of the brain" line in the trailer, from Morgan Freeman no less, makes me want to throw things at my TV/wherever I'm seeing the trailer.
You know it's bad when even Fox News is correcting it.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2014, 02:12 AM   #4
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
You know it's bad when even Fox News is correcting it.
Yeah, there must be a glitch in the Matrix.
Old July 25 2014, 04:07 AM   #5
sojourner
Admiral

I'm only going to use 10% of my brain to enjoy the movie.
Old July 25 2014, 04:14 AM   #6
Mr Light
Admiral

The trailer actually looks pretty good. I'll catch it this weekend. And hey this is the first proper adult Luc Besson action movie since The Messenger waaaaaay back in 1999!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 01:28 AM   #7
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Now, I could get behind the idea that we only use 10% of our brain's capabilty because we as humans have a lot more potential but we do use 100% of our brain.
Yeah, I'm more behind the untapped potential part. I look forward to seeing how this plays out.
Old July 26 2014, 01:44 AM   #8
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

I'm gonna go with: "At least it was better than Limitless."

Of course, that's a given that since it's a combo of Limitless, Fifth Element and 2001, it would have to be better than Limitless by itself.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 01:52 AM   #9
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

At 10% trailer exposure I was mildly dubious.

At 25% trailer exposure I was turned off completely by the stupidity.

At 50% trailer exposure I was throwing things at my TV in disgust.

Who knows what I'll do at 100%?
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 02:47 AM   #10
Warped9
Admiral

I just got back from seeing this and I quite enjoyed it. Yeah, the 10% bit was silly, but skipping that the rest of the film was interesting.

I like how they took an idea to explore and wrapped it in a shoot-em-up flick. The pacing is good and never feels slow. The visuals are very nice.

It certainly didn't drag and you can give them points for brevity. Indeed I think they could have put more into it with the pace things moved at.

I think I'd like to have seen a bit more and the ending seemed a bit abrupt to me. But I did quite enjoy it.
Old July 26 2014, 03:00 AM   #11
Skywalker
Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
At 10% trailer exposure I was mildly dubious.

At 25% trailer exposure I was turned off completely by the stupidity.

At 50% trailer exposure I was throwing things at my TV in disgust.

Who knows what I'll do at 100%?
I have no idea.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2014, 05:49 AM   #12
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I just saw the movie.

I don't know where Luc Besson got his inspiration but a lot of the movie seemed rooted in the buddhist concept of mindfulness (see jhana and arupajhana). Lucy starts off becoming keenly aware of her body and surroundings, is able to parse the world around her for progressively more detail, and in the end…

Mixed in of course is a lot of pseudoscience and dramatic license. Then there's the counting up to 100% that has a lot of people up in arms. I didn't mind it though (no pun intended). It served it's purpose as a measure of progress and Lucy even tried to debunk it a little. The debunking was poorly done, but at least they tried.

In the end, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It was great summer fun and you can't go wrong with Scarlett Johansson and Morgan Freeman. I think I prefer Limitless though. At least there, the main character got to have some fun with his newfound intelligence.
Old July 27 2014, 02:31 AM   #13
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Lucy

My Grade: C+

To quote "The Cinema Snob"/Brad Jones, "I'm not sure how much I liked this."

This is an odd little film, Lucy is a largely average woman who is trapped by a friend of hers to drop off a suitcase to a drug kingpin where she's captured, has drugs surgically inserted into her abdomen, and intended to be used as a drug mule. Something goes wrong when Lucy is attacked by man who kicks her in stomach, breaking open the drug packet and flooding her body with the drug.

The drug is a synthetic version of a compound the body uses during development to build neural connections and as a result she begins, almost exponentially, becoming a smarter and smarter as she begins to "use more of her brain."

Yes, the movie relies on the ages old idea that "we only use 10% of our brain" when, really, here in the 21st century we should all know better.

A lot of things go wrong, or right, for Lucy as she becomes more and more able to use more of her brain and she develops telekentic, telepathic, and other mutant-powers.

I dunno, it's a very, very, odd film and a lot of nonsense happens in it, particularly near the end as she reaches 100%. But the character makes some odd, and rather dumb, decisions during the course of the movie.

It's enjoyable enough, I suppose. Scarlett Johannson does a good enough job it's a Luc Besson movie so some oddities are probably expected but, in the end it's hard to really tell what the movie has to say. But after one viewing in the theater I think I'm good. Not likely one I'll watch again unless on TV or something.

I think the point in the movie where I was starting to lose it was in airplane lavatory where things went off the rails and then I'm not sure what it was going for.

AND WE USE 100% OF OUR BRAINS DAMMMIT!!!

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
I'm gonna go with: "At least it was better than Limitless."
I actually liked Limitless, and liked it more than this. But, like in this movie, a large number of the problems stems from the supposedly brilliant character making one big really bad decision causing all of the problems in the movie.
Old July 27 2014, 02:55 AM   #14
Christopher
Writer

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I don't know where Luc Besson got his inspiration but a lot of the movie seemed rooted in the buddhist concept of mindfulness (see jhana and arupajhana). Lucy starts off becoming keenly aware of her body and surroundings, is able to parse the world around her for progressively more detail, and in the end…

Now, that might've actually been interesting if they'd left out the percentage nonsense. If they'd approached it more as a Buddhist fantasy/allegory than a pseudoscience fiction film.

Mixed in of course is a lot of pseudoscience and dramatic license. Then there's the counting up to 100% that has a lot of people up in arms. I didn't mind it though (no pun intended). It served it's purpose as a measure of progress and Lucy even tried to debunk it a little. The debunking was poorly done, but at least they tried.
How was it debunked?

This is an odd little film, Lucy is a largely average woman...
They've got to stop hiring actresses who look like Scarlett Johannson to play "average" women.

Something goes wrong when Lucy is attacked by man who kicks her in stomach, breaking open the drug packet and flooding her body with the drug.

The drug is a synthetic version of a compound the body uses during development to build neural connections and as a result she begins, almost exponentially, becoming a smarter and smarter as she begins to "use more of her brain."
This is one of the many things I don't get. Is this some brand-new drug that's never been used before? If not, how come all its users aren't developing super brain powers?

Anyway, I don't know if building more neural connections would increase intelligence. We actually start out with more neural connections in infancy and the number gets trimmed down as we grow, as the neural network of the brain develops the most efficient pathways through trial and error and discards the extras.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 03:55 AM   #15
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
How was it debunked?
With an explanation that I didn't totally catch because it had some fast-talk and a lack of detail. She started off explaining to Morgan Freeman's character that we focus too much on numbers. This came off as the beginning of a slight dig at the whole 10% issue but then she continued on about how everything is relative and exists in the context of time. There was something there but it wasn't addressed to my satisfaction.