Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 19 2012, 10:37 PM   #121
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: First glimpse of new TARDIS control room!

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
It looks cheap but then so do a lot of sets until you see them lit properly in the show/movie. In that picture the green light looks bad, bad, bad.
Yeah the first photo we saw of the previous Console Room was much brighter than how it appeared on screen. I imagine this one will look a bit different on screen as well.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 11:40 PM   #122
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

The Stig wrote: View Post
Horrible, just horrible. It looks cheap and hopelessly generic. The previous set was fantastic and impossible and wonderful.

This looks like complete and utter garbage. Booo.

Edit: Moffat is on record, in the article linked above, stating that the TARDIS is a machine and shouldn't look whimsical, which is completely wrong, wrong wrong. Did he even watch 'The Doctor's Wife?'
I guess as the show-runner he has to be loyal to his employers and try and explain away why the new control room was made for about £3.50.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 12:05 AM   #123
SeerSGB
Admiral

I'm looking at the pic, and I"m thinking: Factory setting. This is what the/a TARDIS's control room probably looks like when they're in professional service to the Time Lords. We know from previews that the Doctor is going through a "fuck you" period in the aftermath of losing Amy and Rory, the TARDIS exterior looks beat up, and the new console room doesn't display any of his personal touches. This is it: He's going through the motions, doesn't care about anything, anyone, and he's burying his personality.
Old December 20 2012, 02:26 AM   #124
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well the "not caring about anyone" only lasts for one episode, so I doubt that had much to do with it.

I think it's more that he's feeling reflective about his past now, and wants to get back to the basics. The previous Console Room was really the outlier of the bunch, being so much more fanciful than anything else he's had, and reflecting the fairytale character Amy saw him as.

This is him simply returning more to the standard style.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 05:18 AM   #125
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

A lot better than this awful mess.

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 06:13 AM   #126
Gov Kodos
Admiral

The Stig wrote: View Post
Horrible, just horrible. It looks cheap and hopelessly generic. The previous set was fantastic and impossible and wonderful.

This looks like complete and utter garbage. Booo.

Edit: Moffat is on record, in the article linked above, stating that the TARDIS is a machine and shouldn't look whimsical, which is completely wrong, wrong wrong. Did he even watch 'The Doctor's Wife?'
Moffat said it shouldn't look whimsical, did he even visit the Tardis set of his own show?
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 10:35 AM   #127
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

Cutter John wrote: View Post

Wow that looks bad. It doesn't look that bad on screen.

Are we getting this new console on Christmas do we know?
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 11:18 AM   #128
Starkers
Admiral

That seems to be the case
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 11:21 AM   #129
Mitty
Vice Admiral

View Mitty's Twitter Profile

A thought occurs. When I went through the Doctor Who Experience at Cardiff, in the "experience" bit you go into the TARDIS control room and there is an 11/Amy Console there. I just assumed it was a replica and the original was still in service, but quite possibly it WAS the original and this new one was already built and being used for season 7b.
Old December 20 2012, 12:11 PM   #130
FreddyE
Commander

I used photoshops ability to virtually change the lighting of a picture. I tried my best to simulate what it might look like when lighted properly for filming. Here is the result, comments and suggestions please :-)

FreddyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 03:20 PM   #131
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Cutter John wrote: View Post

It had character, it was a bit alien, it looked cozy and homey and photographed really well in spite of the odd angles and varied surfaces.

This new set honestly looks like something from a fanfilm.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 03:24 PM   #132
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Venardhi wrote: View Post
This new set honestly looks like something from a fanfilm.
There's speculation at Gallifrey Base that the new console room set is designed to be taken down and stored for when it's not needed, much like the original console room sets were, which would explain why it's not as elaborate since it needs to be easily dismantled and easily reassembled on a regular basis.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 03:45 PM   #133
Irvy
Commander

I'm picturing a BBC exec turning purple in a meeting and screaming "You WELDED it in place? And you spent how much?"

I'm desperately hoping that those lit roundels have the purpose of projecting a holo screen round the control room to see out. One of my favourite parts of old Who was that they'd look out the "window" before stepping out.
Irvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 03:49 PM   #134
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

It isn't about how "elaborate" (or not) it is. The new one is simply under-designed. You can have a minimal design that isn't boring, even one that has to be able to come apart.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 05:06 PM   #135
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

I don't think it's designed to come apart for storage - however, it may be designed to have wall segments come off for more dynamic shooting, as it would on a Star Trek set. The previous two sets were not designed to have such "wild" walls.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote