Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 20 2012, 05:39 PM   #136
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile
Re: First glimpse of new TARDIS control room!

Irvy wrote: View Post
I'm picturing a BBC exec turning purple in a meeting and screaming "You WELDED it in place? And you spent how much?"

I'm desperately hoping that those lit roundels have the purpose of projecting a holo screen round the control room to see out. One of my favourite parts of old Who was that they'd look out the "window" before stepping out.
In the American movie, there was one scene where the Doctor showed Grace the outcome of the current timeline with a hologram that replaced the ceiling dome and walls. I hope you're right, because that was a cool feature.

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
I don't think it's designed to come apart for storage - however, it may be designed to have wall segments come off for more dynamic shooting, as it would on a Star Trek set. The previous two sets were not designed to have such "wild" walls.

Mark
A Console Room equivalent to the Bridge?! Oh, man, you just gave me goosebumps. I'd happily put up with the things I don't like about this new set to get something like that!
Old December 20 2012, 05:45 PM   #137
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

What? Since when is a Star Trek bridge particularly dynamic? I've quite liked the camera work in the TARDIS the last couple seasons. It was far more 'Dynamic' than anything I can recall seeing on a Trek bridge.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 07:08 PM   #138
davejames
Vice Admiral

I think people are overreacting a bit, considering we're only getting a limited view of the upper level here.

Once we get a wider view of the whole room, with the lower level and the ceiling above, I expect it'll look quite a bit more grand than this.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 07:59 PM   #139
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

A wider angle won't change that this looks like it's built out of plywood coated with primer.
Old December 20 2012, 09:07 PM   #140
Psion
Commodore

Venardhi wrote: View Post
What? Since when is a Star Trek bridge particularly dynamic? I've quite liked the camera work in the TARDIS the last couple seasons. It was far more 'Dynamic' than anything I can recall seeing on a Trek bridge.
When was the last time you watched the Doctor walk around the Console Room? Now watch, for example, Star Trek's "The Doomsday Machine" in which the camera at one point or another, is pointed at every single wall on the Bridge. Any of the hero Bridge sets in Star Trek existed as fully-realized and enclosed spaces, even if -- in any given scene -- only a portion of that set was in place and functioning.

The same cannot be said for the Console Rooms, which at best existed as little more than half of the rooms they represented. As a result, the director is limited by the angles he can shoot.

Last edited by Psion; December 20 2012 at 11:08 PM.
Psion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 10:02 PM   #141
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

First we get the Teletubbies house, then we get the funhouse, and now we get the Power Rangers power chamber.

The console would be okay if it didn't have those daffy LCD monitors and what looks to be a mishmash of crap for controls again. Why can't they just use normal buttons, knobs, and swithes? Also the tall center column dosen't look right with that design. The room itself, from the picture anyway, is very "generic spaceship" looking.
Old December 20 2012, 10:24 PM   #142
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
A wider angle won't change that this looks like it's built out of plywood coated with primer.
However, that's exactly the sort of thing that proper lighting will change. I think it'll look better on the TV screen than this picture. We'll find out soon.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 11:38 PM   #143
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

@ Psion - the previous, 11.1 console room set WAS a 360-degree set, or almost anyway. There were still gaps in the set that prevented shooting from every angle, although those were fewer than basically every set that came before - each of those missed at least one complete side. The way British television tends to be shot seems to treat their sets more as theatre stages, meaning that they would keep the cameras and lights on one side and shoot everything from there. In the 11.1 set, they MOSTLY kept everything on the featureless gray wall of the room, which probably explains why they never really bothered to finish it off.

More importantly, no console room set had sections that would be removed so you can place full camera and lighting setups and shoot the opposite direction. The 11.1 set was locked, and whenever we shot from the other direction (i.e. any shot where we saw the gray wall) they didn't remove any walls to do it; luckily the set itself was big enough that this wasn't ever much of a problem.

In various Star Trek sets, whole walls can be pulled out so they can have better composition in shots and have to compromise less. For example, think of any TNG episode where Data or someone working at one of the aft stations on the bridge, and we saw their faces and the front part of the bridge beyond:

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...rothers085.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...outpost017.jpg

To accomplish these shots, they would pull the rear wall out of its frame so they can have a hole to place the cameras and lights and microphone. Likewise, basically every shot where we see everyone looking at the viewscreen / camera means they pull the whole front section of the set off to have room for all the equipment. The 11.1 set had no such ability to remove walls and they pretty much crammed everything they needed into the room itself. Again, luckily it was big enough that they had to compromise far less than in the previous 9/10 console room, which was missing 1/3 of the dome.

With this in mind, I'm thinking even more now that the new set has the ability to remove walls... Looking at that auxiliary console on the left of the picture, it would be great if they could have an over-the-shoulder shot of the Doctor working that console, with the main hexagonal console in the background. That could ONLY be possible if they could pull out parts of the set wall beyond, and I think they have built this into the set design. Hum...

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 01:00 AM   #144
Psion
Commodore

Really? I wasn't aware that they'd done so much work on Eleven's set. I thought they'd only extended one wall a bit. But the point remains: with a completely surround set and all walls wild, the director will have a lot more filming options than they've ever had with any pre-existing Doctor Who TARDIS interior.
Old December 21 2012, 02:35 AM   #145
SeerSGB
Admiral

Thinking in terms of a bridge: Given the beating it looks like the Tardis exterior took in one of the promo pics, maybe this is a secondary control room, a battle bridge, after the main control got destroyed or damaged?
Old December 21 2012, 08:31 AM   #146
FreddyE
Commander

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Thinking in terms of a bridge: Given the beating it looks like the Tardis exterior took in one of the promo pics, maybe this is a secondary control room, a battle bridge, after the main control got destroyed or damaged?
Why would a secondary room be needed? Since the tardis can regenerate just like the doctor does?
FreddyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 09:41 AM   #147
Starkers
Admiral

FreddyE wrote: View Post
Why would a secondary room be needed? Since the tardis can regenerate just like the doctor does?
Wouldn't be the first time, there's the secondary control room used by Tom Baker for a while, very wood panelled and Victorian/Edwardian.

I can't beleive some of the hate this is getting. Chill people, it's just the console room. I wasn't overly enamoured of the old 11th set (too cluttered, too bright and some of the far walls looked like gold tinfoil) but I lived with it because, know what, the doctor doesn't spend that much time in the console room really...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 12:44 PM   #148
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

What hate? This is easily the best console room of the new series so far.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 01:15 PM   #149
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

And even if the overall reception is negative following next week, fret not! She has at least a couple dozen more control rooms archived, even if they haven't happened yet. ;-)

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 03:54 PM   #150
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

I've wondered if this control was perhaps a really old control room (perhaps the original) that the Doctor starts to use again. Rather than being a newly created control room that happens to resemble a classic design.

Using the TARDIS's original control room could have obvious ties in the anniversary special.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote