Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 8 2012, 04:21 PM   #16
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: What is more Trek to you?

Gene's vision was a dollar sign, fans deluding themselves into thinking otherwise need to get over it.

The movie has the characters, the uniforms, the ship, the sense of scale and danger to exploration of space that I would want, so it's quite "Trek" to me and I fully intent to pay to see it the moment it comes out.
Old December 8 2012, 04:34 PM   #17
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Terrorism is a current "hot button issue" - and this movie appears to be about a terrorist attacking the very core of Star Trek - that utopian future that Gene envisioned. Future-Earth is going to learn some of the same lessons that the US has in recent years.

Sounds Trek-ish enough to me.
Old December 8 2012, 04:47 PM   #18
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

For me, Trek is an action-adventure series with moments of high drama set in a futuristic setting that's fun and exciting, with people of all types working together, regardless of the color of their skin.

I saw that in TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, & ENT. I saw that in the Star Trek XII trailer.
Old December 8 2012, 04:58 PM   #19
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

los2188 wrote: View Post
Like many of you, I've watched the new Trek teaser trailer more than once and no matter where I see it, there are a lot of comments made saying "this isn't very Star Trek...". To try to simplify things for me, what would make this movie, (yes I know, we haven't seen the movie yet) or even the last movie "more Trek?" Would it be more Trek if it were more lighthearted? If so in this day and age would that lightheartedness be considered some what antiquated? Would maintaining a strict continuity and having positive messages make it more Trek? What exactly would make it more Trek? Or has Trek simply evolved to the point where it shows you the good and bad of the universe?
burgandy sweaters I think.

I have some sympathy for the haters I really do. I felt the same way when I saw TMP and when I heard about TNG. I still feel that way about Voyager. But never in a million years would I rant for years about it. I am always amazed at the level of vitriol these people have maintained.

for me personallyt he best argument for this being trek is that when I left he theatre after seeing TMP I was cold inside thinking they should never have made it and trek was really over. When I left the theatre opening night for the latest star trek I was excited and looking forward to more.

this propbably isn't answering the origional question, but I just wanted to get that off my chest with the haters out in full force again.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 05:12 PM   #20
Franklin
Rear Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Star Trek to me is the characters and universe that I love. "Not feeling like Star Trek" reads to me like "this isn't like anything Kirk, Spock and the rest have dealt with before," which to me is GOOD. The modernized classic characters in new situations.

Melakon wrote: View Post
The future depicted in Roddenberry-Trek was a utopia. The future depicted in Abrams-Trek seems to be leaning toward dystopia.
That would seem to be, from the teaser, to be the exact point of Into Darkness. Just like terrorist attacks made the US and rest of the world feel unsafe, Cumberbatch's baddie is doing the same on a planetary scale. He's challenging everything Trek's future is supposed to be.
Yep. Youngsters need to remember TOS was being conceived of by Roddenberry before the Civil Rights Act or Voting Rights Act were even passed in the U.S. During the run of TOS there were race riots, other riots, wars (not just in Vietnam), and assassinations. And, TOS was cancelled and left the air before Neil Armstrong even walked on the moon.

Roddenberry's Earth was a "utopia" in that context. TOS showed the Earth could solve its problems and find lasting peace among its people, eventually. However, that didn't mean the Earth couldn't face outside challenges and dangers. The entire alpha quadrant is not a utopia. There were Klingons and Romulans, after all. There can be threats from Cumberbatch or Xindi or the Dominion or even a space probe that wants to talk to whales.

Lecture aside, whether they're facing space hippies, looking for whales, dressing up as 1920s gangsters or 1940s Nazis, sacrificing a love to set a timeline straight, dealing with tribbles, trying to stop a doomsday machine, or caught in af a life-or-death game of chess with a Romulan starship commander, to me, Trek is about the characters, plain and simple. They are the constant. They define Trek.
Old December 8 2012, 05:56 PM   #21
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
The future depicted in Roddenberry-Trek was a utopia. The future depicted in Abrams-Trek seems to be leaning toward dystopia.
Earth might have been a nice place to live, but it wasn't sunshine and lollipops elsewhere, what with the food shortages, genocidal governors, crop failures and planet wide epidemics. Then you have threat of attack from hostile and unknown aliens.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.

Last edited by Nerys Myk; December 8 2012 at 06:36 PM.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 06:09 PM   #22
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

It's Star Trek because it has Kirk and Spock in it, a big spaceship called the Enterprise and it's called Star Trek.

I'm not put off because it doesn't look or feel like Star Trek. I'm put off because it looks like a million films I've seen before, very few of which were any good.

The action looks impressive but I'm not impressed by what they can do with computers. They make whole movies in computers these days so why would one or two shots impress me?

I have no investment whatsoever in these characters (nothing to do with the actors) because it is ACTUALLY STATED in the first movie that we're basically watching a parallel universe. I give as much of a shit about these characters than I do for evil beard Spock or that Riker who got blown up by the Borg.

I basically just don't care.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 06:32 PM   #23
ChristianBobak
Cadet

View ChristianBobak's Twitter Profile

I loved the way it was done in the 2009 movie. It was a great film, and everything worked the way it was supposed to. It captured the essence of the Trek characters well, and so on. But now that they've gotten all that out of the way, it's time to put back some of Gene Roddenberry's vision, or else it will be just another regular, mindless CGI action flick like all the other stuff that's out there. Did anyone really go out and buy 2012, The Day After Tomorrow, Twister, The Expendables, etc. and watch them over and over and over?

I agree with Shazam. Computer trickery doesn't impress me, nor does it carry a film by itself. If the upcoming Trek film turns out to be just another CGI revenge spectacle, then what's the point of calling it "Star Trek" other than to get more of an audience?
ChristianBobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 06:38 PM   #24
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Because revenge and CGI (or any type of SFX) doesn't stop it from being Star Trek. If that were true, TMP and TWOK wouldn't be Star Trek.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.

Last edited by Nerys Myk; December 8 2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old December 8 2012, 07:12 PM   #25
ChristianBobak
Cadet

It's not those things that stop it from being Star Trek, it's the absence of a human interest story to go with those things.
Old December 8 2012, 07:14 PM   #26
ChristianBobak
Cadet

Compare Nemesis with The Voyage Home. Which one was better?
Old December 8 2012, 07:31 PM   #27
Chronius Fawkes
Ensign

I really liked the Trekbabble they came up with and the amount of effort taken to attempt to explain the technology. They tried to make it seem at least possible. I winced when they ejected the "warp cores" in ST:2009. Is this important to the story? Nah. But the passion for perfection seems to gone.
Chronius Fawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 07:37 PM   #28
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

ChristianBobak wrote: View Post
It's not those things that stop it from being Star Trek, it's the absence of a human interest story to go with those things.
Kind of hard to gauge the level of "human interest" from a one minute trailer focused on action. The 09 film had a good share of "human interest" mixed in with the action, CGI and revenge. I think this one can do the same. I'd say the first five minutes of 09 are among the most emotionally impactful moments in Star Trek. Birth in the midst of death and destruction. Lovers parted forever. Heroic sacrifice.

Compare Nemesis with The Voyage Home. Which one was better?
I perfer TVH, mostly because I had a good time watching it. It was more of a comedy that a "human interest" story, though.
Old December 8 2012, 08:17 PM   #29
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

I'm struggling to understand why people are acting surprised that the sequel to a mindless action flick is a mindless action flick. Maybe the next cycle of hiatus and reboot will result in a more balanced approach, but this particular incarnation of Star Trek is a series of mindless action flicks. Accept it. Or don't. Either way, as long as it's successful, it's unlikely to change.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 08:26 PM   #30
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

los2188 wrote: View Post
Or has Trek simply evolved to the point where it shows you the good and bad of the universe?
Okay, I generally roll my eyes when it comes to debating degrees of Trekkishness, like this a matter of religious doctrine or something. But I couldn't let this one pass . . .

Trek has always shown the good and bad of the universe. Go back and watch TOS again . . . or the previous movies. Entire planets are wiped out, there are conspiracies and assassinations and genocide, plagues and famines and Doomsday machines. Countless lost civilizations that were destroyed by race wars or cataclysms. Kodos the Executioner. Mirror Universes. Jack the Ripper. Court-Martial. Renegade starship captains. Nazis. Con men. Swindlers. Slave traders. Mail-order brides.

Heck, remember when Khan tortured and killed the scientists on Regula One? "He slit their throats, Captain."

It's the final frontier, not some squeaky-clean utopia.

And we can't really judge any movie from the action-packed trailer. Of course, there going to play up the special effects and explosions in a teaser trailer, as opposed to the more quiet, character moments. Did anyone really expect a somber lecture about the Prime Directive in a movie trailer . . . ?

I'm willing to bet that the trailer for THE WRATH OF KHAN featured plenty of explosions, action, and vows of revenge . . . .

Last edited by Greg Cox; December 8 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote