Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 13 2012, 01:38 PM   #31
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Re: Was Cupcake a cadet or he was just taking some extra courses?

I assume McCoy was learning more than "military posturing" in his three years there. Probably expanding his knowledge of "space medicine".
If there are so many qoutations there because you are saying that he was studying the female anatomy why didn't he go to Risa after finshing his military adjustment courses or signed up for a ship rigt away after he was aclimated to Starfleet.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 02:34 AM   #32
Bob Karo
Captain

I like to think McCoy is a direct commission who was working at Starfleet Medical in San Fran or the Academy itself. TWOK showed that it wasn't unheard of for a commisioned officer to role play in the Kobayashi Maru simulation, even if they are a doctor. I always liked to believe McCoy prime was a direct commission also. It just seemed like it fit his personality.
Bob Karo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 03:00 AM   #33
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
I assume McCoy was learning more than "military posturing" in his three years there. Probably expanding his knowledge of "space medicine".
If there are so many qoutations there because you are saying that he was studying the female anatomy why didn't he go to Risa after finshing his military adjustment courses or signed up for a ship rigt away after he was aclimated to Starfleet.
I'm sure there was an attempt at a joke in there somewhere.

The first is a actual quote of the term Timo used. The second use quotation marks is to denote a euphemism. In this case space medicine for xeno medicine.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 07:42 AM   #34
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Bob Karo wrote: View Post
I like to think McCoy is a direct commission who was working at Starfleet Medical in San Fran or the Academy itself. TWOK showed that it wasn't unheard of for a commisioned officer to role play in the Kobayashi Maru simulation, even if they are a doctor. I always liked to believe McCoy prime was a direct commission also. It just seemed like it fit his personality.
When Mcoy said:

-Study my arse

Were they just coming out of class?
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 08:15 AM   #35
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
Bob Karo wrote: View Post
When Mcoy said:

-Study my arse
Were they just coming out of class?
No way to know. They were on the Academy Grounds is all that was presented. Could be between classes, could before the start of their day or at the end. My guess is Kirk was coming from a meeting with who ever okayed Kirk taking the KM for a third time. As for McCoy, he probably was crossing the grounds and Kirk spotted him and called him over.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 10:00 AM   #36
Timo
Admiral

What status McCoy would have held is also quite unclear. He emphatically says that he's "a doctor" and "busy", so probably he isn't studying unless we count doing practice as studies.

We don't know how tightly grouped Kirk's three no-win scenario tests were. For all we know, Kirk and McCoy had just emerged from the changing room after Kirk's second attempt, in which McCoy had been a mere guest just like he would in the third (or as in Saavik's test).

Kirk does say he intends to try for the third time the very next day. Why would he burst out the news at a random date long after the second attempt when he seems so highly motivated to do it again and again and again? And if the interval between #2 and #3 is short, yet necessarily includes the bit where Kirk sabotages the computers, then the interval between #1 and #2 might have been equally short. Unless it involved soul-searching whereas #2-#3 did not.

Uniform color probably has very little to do with status, as commissioned people like Sulu and Chekov appear in the final scene in the same red that the decidedly ungraduated Kirk originally wore. We have no real reason to think that Sulu would have been associated with the Academy in any way, either as a cadet or as an instructor; the red (and black) uniforms might be mere generic "ground attire" for all Starfleet personnel, as opposed to the shipboard color-coded shirts.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 10:28 AM   #37
Spike730
Captain

IIRC McCoy was wearing a uniform with Lt. Cmdr.-stripes on the Enterprise (even before anyone had done anything that would warrant a field commission).
Spike730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 12:46 PM   #38
Timo
Admiral

Indeed. I guess it's okay for him to have graduated with something like Lt (jg) rank, and for Pike to have made the graduation happen in 2½ seconds once the balloon went up, but jumping to LtCmdr doesn't make much sense.

It's sort of funny that the only two people aboard Pike's ship who get addressed as cadets, Kirk and Uhura, both lack rank identifiers on their uniforms; Kirk because he doesn't dress up properly when stumbling out of sickbay, Uhura because apparently sleeves are optional. Supposedly, some screen readout or another identifies Kirk as a Lieutenant - where is that?

Timo Saloniemi
Old December 18 2012, 01:08 PM   #39
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Timo wrote: View Post
Supposedly, some screen readout or another identifies Kirk as a Lieutenant - where is that?
The transporter, when they're trying to beam Kirk and Sulu away from the drill.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 01:18 PM   #40
Timo
Admiral

I'm trying to see it, but to no avail. There are three screencaps at TrekCore, all with prominent graphic symbols for tha falling heroes, but none with the supposed text, at least not in anything approximating focus.

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...ekxihd1552.jpg
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...ekxihd1555.jpg
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...ekxihd1556.jpg

Going through the DVD next.

Timo Saloniemi
Old December 18 2012, 01:18 PM   #41
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

It's a reference to all the 50-60 year old ensigns and jnr lts we sometimes see

He could pass for late 20s/early 30s, but I doubt there is an age limit for the academy.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 01:28 PM   #42
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

I'm trying to see it, but to no avail. There are three screencaps at TrekCore, all with prominent graphic symbols for tha falling heroes, but none with the supposed text, at least not in anything approximating focus.

Timo Saloniemi
http://i46.tinypic.com/sl5ftw.png
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 01:32 PM   #43
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Timo Saloniemi

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote