Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 12 2012, 12:55 AM   #871
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

Re: The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

Actually, there is strong precedent in Canon.

Voyager had no issues with Fluidic Space.

And the Enterprise in The Immunity Syndrome was essentially swimming inside a giant amoeba, certainly a liquid environment roughly analogous to water.

The functioning within a 1G environment is slightly more problematic, until you realize that a starship is travelling at warp velocities, and has survived close proximity to far more intense gravitationally induced stresses, to the point of surviving time travel.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 01:03 AM   #872
Mach5
Rear Admiral

OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post

I pointed that out myself a few days ago. The thing is, if Voyager, or the Defiant, or any of the prime universe ships had been submerged in one of the old movies or shows, no one would have said anything. The main issue isn't with the actual submerging, it's with the "reboot". Always has been.
Old December 12 2012, 01:08 AM   #873
Vektor
Rear Admiral

SantaEddie74 wrote: View Post
Again, who knows if it'll ever happen but Enterprise is now the only series that exists in both the Prime and Abrams timelines so the history is shared by both.
Actually, we don't know that for sure. Everyone assumes that the timelines diverged with Nero's incursion from the future but there could have been multiple divergences before then. For example, one of my own self-amusing pet theories is that what were seeing in the NuTrek universe is actually our timeline in which the Eugenics Wars never happened, at least not in the 1990s, and there was no Third World War as such, either because a temporal incursion prevented them from happening or because they were caused by a temporal incursion in the first place. It could explain why so many things are different in the NuTrek timeline and why technology is more advanced, because they never had to recover from that massive devastation.
Old December 12 2012, 01:09 AM   #874
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I didn't have a problem with the Holoship going underwater, and all Federation ships have nigh-on the same capabilities.
I have less of a problem with it than a Klingon bird of prey floating in TVH.
It wasn't floating, it was sinking.
Well, true. It was taking on water and sinking, but it did stay afloat far longer than should've made sense. Then again, we can't have our heroes drown.
Old December 12 2012, 01:15 AM   #875
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Vektor wrote: View Post
Again, who knows if it'll ever happen but Enterprise is now the only series that exists in both the Prime and Abrams timelines so the history is shared by both.
Actually, we don't know that for sure. Everyone assumes that the timelines diverged with Nero's incursion from the future but there could have been multiple divergences before then. For example, one of my own self-amusing pet theories is that what were seeing in the NuTrek universe is actually our timeline in which the Eugenics Wars never happened, at least not in the 1990s, and there was no Third World War as such, either because a temporal incursion prevented them from happening or because they were caused by a temporal incursion in the first place. It could explain why so many things are different in the NuTrek timeline and why technology is more advanced, because they never had to recover from that massive devastation.
Great. Now I'm going to have crushing migraines all night pondering that.

Thanks. Thanks a lot.

It's not a theory I buy in the slightest, but it is creative.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 01:21 AM   #876
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

And the Enterprise in The Immunity Syndrome was essentially swimming inside a giant amoeba, certainly a liquid environment roughly analogous to water.

The functioning within a 1G environment is slightly more problematic, until you realize that a starship is travelling at warp velocities, and has survived close proximity to far more intense gravitationally induced stresses, to the point of surviving time travel.
Can't really use Fluidic Space as an example, because we really have no idea of the pressure and viscosity of that particular fluid.

But it probably still wouldn't have any trouble, at least not if it moved slowly. Any ship that can survive the streses of a) skirting the event horizon of a black hole and b) getting blasted out of said black hole by a massive antimatter explosion probably isn't going to have any issues with water pressure... so long as it doesn't dive very far.

Does anyone know if NASA uses (or rather, used) submersion tests in order to determine the structural integrity of things like shuttles and Apollo capsules?
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 01:22 AM   #877
Vektor
Rear Admiral

My work here is done.
Old December 12 2012, 01:58 AM   #878
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

Vektor wrote: View Post

Thanks. Thanks a lot.

It's not a theory I buy in the slightest, but it is creative.
Not sure as to how/why technology would be more advanced in the Alternate Reality, but I defer to writer/producer intent regarding the Alternate Reality splitting of Stardate 2233.04.
Old December 12 2012, 02:04 AM   #879
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Now, am i the only one who thinks a starship underwater slowly ascending is damn cool!?
I think it's utter absurd for a number reasons but I digress.
They copied Star Trek: Insurrection. Did anyone care then? Or is hiding a village-sized holoship from the natives underwater somehow okay, but doing the same with the Enterprise not?
Considering there's a pretty big size difference between the two... Which is my problem, the Enterprise is huge, even the TOS Kirk Enterprise/Movie Enterprise. IIRC schematic put the Abrams Enterprise as bigger than the -D. Which is, scientifically speaking, 'Utterly Mother Fucking Huge!"

Nor is it the most aerodynamic shape, but the Enterprise should barely be able to not fall apart under its own weight in an atmosphere, let alone be underwater.
Old December 12 2012, 02:04 AM   #880
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

That's the way I look at the new timeline. Before the singularity that the Narada emerges from begins forming we're in the Prime timeline (Spock's birth in the deleted scenes of Trek '09 also happens in the original timeline on stardate 2230.06)....the moment the singularity begins to appear we're in the Abrams timeline. Everything diverges from that moment.

That means that the uniforms seen on the Kelvin crew are what the Prime timeline uniforms also looked like until at least 2233 and George Kirk was an officer aboard the ship in both timelines.

Old December 12 2012, 02:06 AM   #881
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

Xaios wrote: View Post

Can't really use Fluidic Space as an example, because we really have no idea of the pressure and viscosity of that particular fluid.

But it probably still wouldn't have any trouble, at least not if it moved slowly. Any ship that can survive the streses of a) skirting the event horizon of a black hole and b) getting blasted out of said black hole by a massive antimatter explosion probably isn't going to have any issues with water pressure... so long as it doesn't dive very far.

Does anyone know if NASA uses (or rather, used) submersion tests in order to determine the structural integrity of things like shuttles and Apollo capsules?
They use space suits when submerged in water for training for Zero-G missions.

If present-day spacesuits can easily deal with a fluid environment, then the extemes and rigours of warp travel, interstellar environments, Ion storms, extreme gravity (such as a "black star" or black hole), Quasar-like objects (The Galileo Seven) and giant amoebas among other strange, unpredictable situations, taking a trip in a Class-M planetary ocean body should not be too much of a stretch.

It should also be noted that the ship is known to survive extremely low orbital flight, as Captain Christopher and some US Air Force personnel can attest.

This kind of situation would likely prompt scotty to worry about the effects on his "Poor Bairns".
Old December 12 2012, 02:48 AM   #882
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Not sure as to how/why technology would be more advanced in the Alternate Reality, but I defer to writer/producer intent regarding the Alternate Reality splitting of Stardate 2233.04.
I never said Nero's incursion didn't cause a timeline split, I just raised the possibility that there might have been earlier splits that had already diverged from what we call the "prime" timeline. Nothing in the last Trek film contradicts that possibility and quite a few things support it. Of course, only Spock Prime would know for sure.

That's the way I look at the new timeline. Before the singularity that the Narada emerges from begins forming we're in the Prime timeline (Spock's birth in the deleted scenes of Trek '09 also happens in the original timeline on stardate 2230.06)....the moment the singularity begins to appear we're in the Abrams timeline. Everything diverges from that moment.

That means that the uniforms seen on the Kelvin crew are what the Prime timeline uniforms also looked like until at least 2233 and George Kirk was an officer aboard the ship in both timelines.
Except a lot of basic technology apparently took a giant leap backward in the Prime timeline subsequent to 2233 if everything was the same up until then. I don't just mean it didn't advance as quickly, it went backwards, i.e. graphical computer interfaces and touch-screen displays. Yes, of course this is merely the cinematic expression of a half-century difference between the making of TOS and the current movies, but if you want an in-universe way of explaining it, an earlier point of divergence might do it.

Plus I just think it would be cool if the NuTrek timeline was actually our own future, since the Prime timeline no longer can be.
Old December 12 2012, 02:50 AM   #883
EJD1984
Commander

Sparky wrote: View Post
I just realized that there is one thing I didn't see. Lens Flares!
I just realized that as well!! Woo Hoo!!!!!
Old December 12 2012, 02:52 AM   #884
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

The Temporal Cold War changed history and eliminated lens flare from 23rd Century Starfleet history.

F***in' Daniels.

Old December 12 2012, 02:56 AM   #885
EJD1984
Commander

They use space suits when submerged in water for training for Zero-G missions.

If present-day spacesuits can easily deal with a fluid environment,
Not quite. The suits that NASA uses in the zero-gravity tank are made of specific fabrics and metals to withstand the continued use in water. Only the shape, weight, and resistance factors are mimicked to help train the astronauts.