RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,703
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 426
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 11 2012, 11:25 PM   #856
Classic Fan
Rear Admiral

View Classic Fan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Classic Fan
Re: The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

Woah. My comment went a little far. Lol

My thoughts are basically, if your gonna build a starship, build it so it can do everything, kinda like a Bond car of old. And I also forgot about the holoship.

Imagine the pitch:
Int: paramount offices.
Kurtzman and Orci: So, were on this planet, and we want to monitor Kirk and McCoys progress during a mission. Suggest using a sub for research/exploration purposes pre-installed on the Enterprise.
Paramount execs: Sounds good. Show us what you got...
JJ: HOLD IT! Why dont we use the whole damn ship as a sub? Would be totally frickin awesome.
Orci: What about the science behind such a...
JJ: fuck science! We want entertainment and awesomeness. This shit sells, guys.

Personally though, that image of it slowly rising looks awesome.

Oddly, this popped up on my twitter timeline a minute ago. Pretty apt.

"Course your not,your not scared of anything. Box falls out the sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard. Look at you, just sittin' there,you know what i think? Must be helluva scary crack in your wall" - The Doctor
Classic Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 11:27 PM   #857
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
They copied Star Trek: Insurrection. Did anyone care then? Or is hiding a village-sized holoship from the natives underwater somehow okay, but doing the same with the Enterprise not?
So had they submerged the Enterprise-E inside the lake for whatever reason in that film, you would have said "Ok" ?
I didn't have a problem with the Holoship going underwater, and all Federation ships have nigh-on the same capabilities.
Old December 11 2012, 11:39 PM   #858
Franklin
Rear Admiral

They copied Star Trek: Insurrection. Did anyone care then? Or is hiding a village-sized holoship from the natives underwater somehow okay, but doing the same with the Enterprise not?
So had they submerged the Enterprise-E inside the lake for whatever reason in that film, you would have said "Ok" ?
I didn't have a problem with the Holoship going underwater, and all Federation ships have nigh-on the same capabilities.
I have less of a problem with it than a Klingon bird of prey floating in TVH.
Old December 11 2012, 11:45 PM   #859
Classic Fan
Rear Admiral

View Classic Fan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Classic Fan

Franklin wrote: View Post

BOOM!
"Course your not,your not scared of anything. Box falls out the sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard. Look at you, just sittin' there,you know what i think? Must be helluva scary crack in your wall" - The Doctor
Classic Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 11:46 PM   #860
marksound
Fleet Captain

Franklin wrote: View Post

It wasn't floating, it was sinking.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 11:47 PM   #861
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Professor Farnsworth: Good Lord! That's over 5000 atmospheres of pressure!
Fry: How many atmospheres can the ship withstand?
Professor Farnsworth: Well, it was built for space travel, so anywhere between zero and one.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2012, 11:50 PM   #862
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Professor Farnsworth: Well, it was built for space travel, so anywhere between zero and one.
That's about the 5th time that shit has been posted here and it's not any more relevant now than it was the first time. The Planet Express ship is part of a comedy cartoon, it's not meant to be remotely realistic and changes it's properties every week.

And since it's been seen taking severe structural damage from things as simple as a baseball bat, me thinks the Professor penny pinched on materials (assuming he was even telling the truth about building it himself in the pilot).
Old December 11 2012, 11:54 PM   #863
ITL
Vice Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
That's about the 5th time that shit has been posted here and it's not any more relevant now than it was the first time. The Planet Express ship is part of a comedy cartoon, it's not meant to be remotely realistic and changes it's properties every week.

And since it's been seen taking severe structural damage from things as simple as a baseball bat, me thinks the Professor penny pinched on materials (assuming he was even telling the truth about building it himself in the pilot).
Well, he was already in his pyjamas.
Old December 12 2012, 12:00 AM   #864
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

So are most of Starfleet
Old December 12 2012, 12:05 AM   #865
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Starfleet engineers had to design this ship for both space travel and underwater travel, two completely different environments, even if the likelyhood for a mission having to take place under water is like... almost zero? Poor engineers. What else did they have to think of? Maybe the Enterprise can indeed transform into mega maid.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 12:07 AM   #866
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Clearly they consulted the Xindi Aquatics. There. Problem solved.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 12:10 AM   #867
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

It makes one wonder if the Xindi are already members of the Federation in the new, altered timeline. I don't think the Xindi joined in the Prime reality until much later than the Kirk era but who knows...Daniels was extremely vague about when the Federation and the Xindi teamed up.

It might be cool to see a Xindi-Reptillian as an Enterprise crew member at some point as a wink to the audience. "See, kids? They weren't all villainous bastards!"

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 12:16 AM   #868
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

SantaEddie74 wrote: View Post
It makes one wonder if the Xindi are already members of the Federation in the new, altered timeline. I don't think the Xindi joined in the Prime reality until much later than the Kirk era but who knows...Daniels was extremely vague about when the Federation and the Xindi teamed up.

It might be cool to see a Xindi-Reptillian as an Enterprise crew member at some point as a wink to the audience. "See, kids? They weren't all villainous bastards!"
Or, they could finally do something like what they had planned for TNG and have an area in the saucer devoted to aquatics.

Only not Earth ones, but sentient crew members, you could do two shout outs in one there. Have not only the race from Titan, but a Xindi aquatic swim past. The audience would just see cool aliens, we'd get the injoke, lots of fun, like 5 seconds of screentime.

Of course, it won't happen but it would be fun.
Old December 12 2012, 12:24 AM   #869
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Nah, it wouldn't. But it's a neat little idea in any case.

I wouldn't mind hearing the Xindi attack on Earth in 2153 referenced at least once during the course of the Abrams films as a nod to one of the most traumatic events of the warp era. You know, Kirk and McCoy are drinking and enjoying some social time together and one starts reminiscing about their old professor or classmates at the Academy. "Boy, Dr. [insert name here] was such a pain in the ass about Starfleet history. It was bad enough Professor Gill never shut up about the Xindi probe attack...."

That kind of thing. Again, who knows if it'll ever happen but Enterprise is now the only series that exists in both the Prime and Abrams timelines so the history is shared by both.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2012, 12:47 AM   #870
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Classic Fan wrote: View Post
Oddly, this popped up on my twitter timeline a minute ago. Pretty apt.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...um/image-1.jpg
"Genesis device" - a missile that magically creates an oasis of flora and fauna literately out of ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, in a matter of minutes... No one flinches.

A starship designed to operate in vacuum and traverse huge distances by bending the very fabric of space gets submerged under water... "Blasphemy! Jihad! Behead the infidel!"

Trekkies <3