Shatner Starts New Website
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Rumor Mill: Star Trek III Title
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Siddig: Getting And Playing The Role Of Martell
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Mulgrew: Why Born With Teeth
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 6 2012, 06:13 PM   #301
Chemahkuu
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
snip
It's a teaser trailer, it has 60 seconds to show something, anything from something 2 hours long that makes people want to watch it. And it's succeded.
And you didn't read my last paragraph.
All the buzzword ridden nostalgia nonsense bogged the reading process down enough for me to stop before that, sorry.
Old December 6 2012, 06:17 PM   #302
sunburn800
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to sunburn800

Once again while we are guessing why not Charlie X?
And the blond is Janice Rand the girl who rejected him. After all he feels the whole crew let him down at the end of Charlie X. We know that he looked to Kirk as a father figure.
why not Charlie?
sunburn800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 06:19 PM   #303
los2188
Commander

That ship going down in water reminds me of the Enterprise NX-01. Maybe it's Admiral Archer getting revenge because Scotty beamed his dog away somewhere....
Old December 6 2012, 06:19 PM   #304
Anticitizen
Fleet Captain

beamMe wrote: View Post
Reading this takes longer than watching the teaser.
Life is to precious, the teaser is to good (those marketing people really know what they are doing) to waste time on your "Star Trek is supposed to be..." drivel.
I bet writing that took even longer, and yet you somehow managed to find the time to complain.
Old December 6 2012, 06:21 PM   #305
beamMe
Fleet Captain

sunburn800 wrote: View Post
Once again while we are guessing why not Charlie X?
And the blond is Janice Rand the girl who rejected him. After all he feels the whole crew let him down at the end of Charlie X. We know that he looked to Kirk as a father figure.
why not Charlie?
Why not Christine Chapel and Roger Corby?

We just don't know.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 06:21 PM   #306
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Looks too old to be Charlie.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 06:21 PM   #307
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
@ RAMA ^Yeah, I know that the comics are part of the continuity. But that's not the same as setting up a major part of the movie's plot and arc in the comic. It's purely for completists. Expecting an audience to be familiar with these events is just not part of their plan, IMHO.

they wouldn't, which is why they would allude to previous events on the pre-credits teaser or with flashbacks.
It's part of nature too
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 06:22 PM   #308
Swarles Barkley
Commodore

Something people should keep in mind about trailers. Studios have entire departments that are devoted to just making trailers. They are designed by the studio marketing departments, not by the people who made the actual movie. That's why trailers for most big budget summer movies have that same general feel. It's the same people churning them out, using the same philosophies. The actual movie may be nothing like the trailer.
Old December 6 2012, 06:22 PM   #309
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Anticitizen wrote: View Post
beamMe wrote: View Post
Reading this takes longer than watching the teaser.
Life is to precious, the teaser is to good (those marketing people really know what they are doing) to waste time on your "Star Trek is supposed to be..." drivel.
I bet writing that took even longer, and yet you somehow managed to find the time to complain.
Yes and I did.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 06:25 PM   #310
davejames
Vice Admiral

So I read through the next 7 pages of this thread this morning and I'm being asked what I wanted to see for a Trek film and why this doesn't feel like Star Trek to me. Well, part of it is this film feels like 100 trailers we've seen so many times in the last few years with the booming music, explosions, and that Battle: LA tone. I mean seriously, how many times have we seen trailers like this, where you get the whole "Boom" (Dialoge) "Boom" (More dialog and even extra special effects), and then add more "Booms" for good measure.
This looks FAAAAR better than any of those generic scifi action flicks like Battle:LA and Battleship. It's got actual style and emotion behind it, and what looks like a very compelling villain.

And these are characters who appear to be truly fighting for their lives, and who aren't just running through a videogame, tossing out one-liners while things explode around them.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 06:26 PM   #311
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post
Sigh* I have been a fan of Star Trek since 1973 and I am a bit tired of the "this is not Star trek" crowd.

For me Trek09 brought back the thrill and amazement I had when I became a fan that many years ago.

This feels like Star Trek to me.
Testify! By the time of TWOK, the TOS characters had aged enough that growing old was a thematic undercurrent in the movies. By TUC, they were actually questioning their relevance. It may have been part of the charm of the movies, but to paraphrase Kirk from TVH, we didn't actually catch them at their best.

Now, there's an energy and spirit in these characters they haven't had in decades. The promise of thrills and adventure was how "Star Trek" was sold in the first place.
Old December 6 2012, 06:27 PM   #312
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
@ RAMA ^Yeah, I know that the comics are part of the continuity. But that's not the same as setting up a major part of the movie's plot and arc in the comic. It's purely for completists. Expecting an audience to be familiar with these events is just not part of their plan, IMHO.

they wouldn't, which is why they would allude to previous events on the pre-credits teaser or with flashbacks.
I do expect that Cumberbatch's motives and background will be shown early on in the movie. I would simply be surprised if such a secretive crew as Bad Robot, who have guarded this movie and its plots and characters most jealously, would give away information like this in a comic. It would be like having a comic released pre-TDKR showing Bane hijacking that flight.

But obviously I don't know any more than anyone else.
Old December 6 2012, 06:32 PM   #313
Gojira
Commodore

07 Geese a Laying wrote: View Post
Looks too old to be Charlie.
Since the movie does depict that the character is returning for revenge does make Charlie X still a possibility.
Old December 6 2012, 06:41 PM   #314
thumbtack
Commodore

It's not a blatant ripoff of Khan or a clone of Khan or a pal of Khan. It's not a Khan wannabe, a Khan minion, or a copy and paste cookie-cutter villain that is virtually identical to Khan in every conceivable way.

It is Khan.
Old December 6 2012, 06:48 PM   #315
Anduril
Captain

I know one thing, I'm staying away from these boards until after this movie comes out. This is Star Trek made for the big screen, something that has been lacking in the last few movies.

Cumberbatch can't be Mitchell because, he didn't have a British accent? Please. Are you forgetting that this is an alternate universe? I think it's been explained enough. Three years later and some people still don't get it.

It's this lack of imagination from the fans that is sad. Good god, you all suck all the fun out of it. Star Trek needed a breath of fresh air and that's exactly what JJ and crew have done. Lighten up and open your minds.