No Quinto In Heroes Reborn
By: T'Bonz on Jan 26

Pine Responds To Pegg Writer Announcement
By: T'Bonz on Jan 26

Retro Review: Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
By: Michelle on Jan 24

Urban in Aquaman?
By: T'Bonz on Jan 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 6 2012, 05:02 PM   #271
LCData625
Ensign

Re: The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

CoveTom wrote: View Post
Scotty wrote: View Post
*yawn* So they've taken the characters from Star Trek and slapped them on generic blockbuster action movie 'splosion fest # 2,372. I know it's only a teaser, but this feels so much like any of a million other blockbuster action films. I suppose we'll see.
Same here. It's not that I am angry or disappointed, but this trailer left me cold. I just didn't care. We've seen these things a thousand times already.
That's it, exactly. It's not that the trailer looks like it will be a bad film. Just that it really looks like they're trying to shoehorn the Trek characters into the generic cookie cutter summer action blockbuster.

Can't agree with all of you more ! I really feel like they have just made it into a action-pact film instead of the normal star trek
LCData625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 05:02 PM   #272
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Scotty wrote: View Post
We've seen these things a thousand times already.
Oh, then it is like oldTrek!

LCData625 wrote: View Post
I really feel like they have just made it into a action-pact[sic] film instead of the normal star trek
You're not getting any more of "the normal star trek" because no one can afford to waste money on something that only a few people will pay to see.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 05:03 PM   #273
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
This is how stupid the "Gary Mitchell" stuff is: I can pick out three things from this trailer - the "I have returned for vengeance" line, the "family" remark RE: McGivers, and the shot in the Japanese trailer of Kirk and Spock touching hands and claim that it's a remake of Wrath Of Khan.

Which would be unjustifiable bullshit, but then so is the MitchellHead blather.
As iu saidd beforee it couldd well be a tot
ally re imagined khan, however the revenge they would be talking about would be for Mitchell's death in the comic book... He was buried in space... Mitchell knows kirk's family. Also cumberpatch could be talking about his crew as family.
I can't see them expecting a general audience to give a toss about what happens in the comic books. This movie is made for mass consumption, not ST completists who buy the comic books.

I do agree that the 'family' remark relates to the crew. In fact, doesn't the synopsis even refer to the crew of the Enterprise being the only family Kirk has left?
Old December 6 2012, 05:04 PM   #274
Edge of Forever
Lieutenant Junior Grade

If Section 31 is involved (and I hope it is, I love Section 31). I'd love there to be some kind of a twist like the fact that Cumberbatch's character isn't trying to take down Starfleet or the Federation itself but is trying to destroy and get rid of Section 31 (also, I reckon Peter Weller would make an amazing Sloan-esque character).
Edge of Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 05:04 PM   #275
Saul
Rear Admiral

Hard to read this thread with all this sticky stuff on my screen.

Can't Wait.

Mitchell doesn't want revenge. It's Khan or someone new and it looks like Spock's hand and the arm of someone with the under tunic. Perhaps Cumberbatch? Spock's half Brother? Cumberbatch did say he was conflicted, maybe he sacrifices himself to save the crew.
Old December 6 2012, 05:05 PM   #276
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
Given the cumber-jumping going on I think it's pretty clear he's playing either a genetically enhanced or otherwise uber-being of some sort.
Or simply a lower gravity world.

*cough* John Carter *cough*
Old December 6 2012, 05:06 PM   #277
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Or the fact that he only performs it when wearing that weird coat and the large mech arm. So not the best moments to judge that by.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 05:09 PM   #278
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

The villain is clearly the pissed off, spurned, Greek god of Apollo.
Old December 6 2012, 05:11 PM   #279
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
This is how stupid the "Gary Mitchell" stuff is: I can pick out three things from this trailer - the "I have returned for vengeance" line, the "family" remark RE: McGivers, and the shot in the Japanese trailer of Kirk and Spock touching hands and claim that it's a remake of Wrath Of Khan.

Which would be unjustifiable bullshit, but then so is the MitchellHead blather.
As iu saidd beforee it couldd well be a tot
ally re imagined khan, however the revenge they would be talking about would be for Mitchell's death in the comic book... He was buried in space... Mitchell knows kirk's family. Also cumberpatch could be talking about his crew as family.
I can't see them expecting a general audience to give a toss about what happens in the comic books. This movie is made for mass consumption, not ST completists who buy the comic books.

I do agree that the 'family' remark relates to the crew. In fact, doesn't the synopsis even refer to the crew of the Enterprise being the only family Kirk has left?

that's not the issue....they made a point of saying the comic book continuity was part of the movie continuity.... Kirk and Co, kill Mitchell, Mitchell returns with power degraded, looks for ways his newly twisted mind can gain power and wreck star fleet. Mitchell was part of star fleet and knows kirk's family.
It's part of nature too
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 05:14 PM   #280
AHirogen
Ensign

Devon wrote: View Post
SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
Big brown dudes.
With Klingon helmets and Bat'leths

That orange glowing backdrop appears to be the same one that Abrams had in his MTV Awards skit that showed a close up of a Klingon on this computer monitor over his shoulder. So I guess before tonight we had seen Four frames.
As anyone red the IDW comics. Man does this shot seems to be the delta vega mining facility where Mitchell killed Kelso
AHirogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 05:17 PM   #281
Gojira
Commodore

*yawn* So they've taken the characters from Star Trek and slapped them on generic blockbuster action movie 'splosion fest # 2,372. I know it's only a teaser, but this feels so much like any of a million other blockbuster action films. I suppose we'll see.
I always try and go into a movie with a positive attitude.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is something that many fans says was dull because it didn't have any action. This movie will have some action and like the last one it will hopefull be balanced with good character development.
Old December 6 2012, 05:18 PM   #282
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

@ RAMA ^Yeah, I know that the comics are part of the continuity. But that's not the same as setting up a major part of the movie's plot and arc in the comic. It's purely for completists. Expecting an audience to be familiar with these events is just not part of their plan, IMHO.
Old December 6 2012, 05:24 PM   #283
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

AHirogen wrote: View Post
Devon wrote: View Post
SalvorHardin wrote: View Post

With Klingon helmets and Bat'leths

That orange glowing backdrop appears to be the same one that Abrams had in his MTV Awards skit that showed a close up of a Klingon on this computer monitor over his shoulder. So I guess before tonight we had seen Four frames.
As anyone red the IDW comics. Man does this shot seems to be the delta vega mining facility where Mitchell killed Kelso
No it doesn't.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 05:33 PM   #284
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post
Star Trek: The Motion Picture is something that many fans says was dull because it didn't have any action. This movie will have some action and like the last one it will hopefull be balanced with good character development.
: /
Shazam! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 05:45 PM   #285
sunburn800
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to sunburn800

Just for the hell of it, why not charlie As in Charlie X.
sunburn800 is offline   Reply With Quote