Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 6 2012, 03:00 PM   #211
Gojira
Commodore

Re: The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

I have not read through this entire thread but I think the trailer is amazing. I am more excited than ever now.
Old December 6 2012, 03:02 PM   #212
Romulan_spy
Commodore

Edge of Forever wrote: View Post
Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
Trekker82 wrote: View Post
Then why not call it something else? If you want to base a movie from a popular franchise than have the movie be based on that, not a loosely related story with some iconic names to make you feel that it's Star Trek.
Then what would a trailer have to look like to make it feel like Star Trek to you?
Been lurking for a while, but I felt the need to make this point so I dug up the account I haven't used in four years.

But to everyone saying this doesn't feel like Star Trek. What exactly is Star Trek meant to feel like. I mean, after 700 episodes and 11 films, I don't think Star Trek can have just one feel. It's been a deep philosophical tale (Measure or Man, Inner Light), A Die Hard style action film (Starship Mine, Empok Nor), War Story (the Dominion War), a time travel story focusing on the inevitability of fate (City on the Edge of Forever), a action time travel story (that voyage one- can't remember it's name-. First Contact, Generations), a comedy (Voyage Home), allegory for historical events (Undiscovered Country, Cardassian occupation of Bajor), horror story (anything with the borg, that one with the bugs in voyager -man, I am horrible at remember episode names for voyager) and a whole list of other stuff.

My point is that saying Star Trek has a particular feel is a major disservice to what Star Trek is and what it has the potential to be.

Blockbuster action adventure that gets a lot of arses in seats may be new for Star Trek, but that doesn't make it any less Star Trek. Star XI and STiD seem to contain all the hall marks of what has been in every Star Trek film and show so far- A tight nit crew, an awesome ship, alien worlds, The Federation and Starfleet, Klingons.

Saying STiD doesn't feel like Star Trek is really redundant because it implies Star Trek can only be one thing, or only one of a few things which obviously is not the case.

Also, Trailer looks bloody amazing, I'm spent the last four hours geeking out without stop.
You make an excellent point. I think fans will just have to get used to the fact that Star Trek has changed. The fact is that TNG, DS9,VOY were different from TOS. The times have changed. Today, people want to see action movies with more CGI and explosions. JJ Abrams is catering to what he knows will sell.
Romulan_spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 03:05 PM   #213
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Shilliam Watner wrote: View Post
SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Those nacelles and the struts don't look like the Enterprise at all

As I said before in a earlier post. That ship has no secondary hull. It looks to be a larger version of the NX-01 style starship with the classic movie Enterprise nacelles about to crash into city buildings along the shore.
Yeah. Doesn't look like the Enterprise. Weller's character's ship? Weller said his character had a starship.

Whatever ship that is, it's hard to believe a crash like that isn't going to destroy it. Would Abrams really destroy the Enterprise in the second movie before Kirk has even gotten the captain's chair warm?
Old December 6 2012, 03:07 PM   #214
DrBeverly
Ensign

The woman definitely looks like Dehner, but that screaming? I swear Dehner wasn't that much of a wimp in WNMHGB.
DrBeverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 03:08 PM   #215
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Franklin wrote: View Post
Would Abrams really destroy the Enterprise in the second movie before Kirk has even gotten the captain's chair warm?
Fully destroy, I highly doubt it.
Enough damage for some upgrades and cosmetic changes, maybe.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 03:09 PM   #216
Balrog
Commodore

Fantastic trailer!

"... for I have returned... to have... my... vengeance..."

It's Khan.

The ship lifting out of the water is Enterprise. But the ship crashing into the water doesn't seem to be. The nacelles look to be more like TOS-era nacelles.
Old December 6 2012, 03:10 PM   #217
Gojira
Commodore

Franklin wrote: View Post
SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Those nacelles and the struts don't look like the Enterprise at all

As I said before in a earlier post. That ship has no secondary hull. It looks to be a larger version of the NX-01 style starship with the classic movie Enterprise nacelles about to crash into city buildings along the shore.
Yeah. Doesn't look like the Enterprise. Weller's character's ship? Weller said his character had a starship.

Whatever ship that is, it's hard to believe a crash like that isn't going to destroy it. Would Abrams really destroy the Enterprise in the second movie before Kirk has even gotten the captain's chair warm?
Not only are the Nacelles the wrong shape the ship seems too small to be the Enterprise.
Old December 6 2012, 03:13 PM   #218
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Well, if the 24th century Akira class can bear a strong design resemblance to the NX class of more than 200 years earlier then it's not out of the realm that at least one Federation starship class of Kirk's time might be a design homage to the NX. In both timelines I imagine that the very first Warp 5 starships built and launched by humans would be honored in later generations to one degree or another.

And who knows, really...we saw very little of the ship crashing into San Francisco Bay and our eyes might be playing tricks on us. It might not resemble Archer's Enterprise at all once we get a much better look at the thing.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 03:15 PM   #219
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

They look like the Enterprise-E's nacelles to me. The ship looks vaguely shaped like an old fan design, the Akyazi-class. Picture HERE
Old December 6 2012, 03:28 PM   #220
beamMe
Fleet Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
They look like the Enterprise-E's nacelles to me.
Too thin, no fins at the rear end and not very round on the front end.

They look very different.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 03:30 PM   #221
Anticitizen
Fleet Captain

SantaEddie74 wrote: View Post
That looks like the Transamerica Pyramid in the aerial shot of San Francisco. Cool. We saw it in the last film, too, and chronologically it's been seen in skyline shots of the city dating back to the Director's Edition of TMP.

Good consistency.
So has the Golden Gate bridge... I mean, they're both real structures in real life... not really surprising, is it?
Old December 6 2012, 03:36 PM   #222
Amasov
Rear Admiral

Cumberbatch is clearly playing Finnegan.
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 03:37 PM   #223
Procutus
Admiral

My guess it is Pike's hand we see on the glass after being poisoned with delta radiation with Kirk looking in horror as well as Uhura and Scotty.

I think you're probably right, that thought occured to me as well. And Pike is a bit of a mentor to Kirk, so it would have a big impact on him.
Old December 6 2012, 03:38 PM   #224
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Man, those pranks he and Kirk played on one another at the Academy must have really backfired at some point.

"That flaming bag of sehlat poo was the last straw, Jimmy Boy...that was me last good pair of Starfleet service boots I ruined...and now you...and the entire bloody Federation...

are gonna pay."

Procutus wrote: View Post
I think you're probably right, that thought occured to me as well. And Pike is a bit of a mentor to Kirk, so it would have a big impact on him.
Death by delta ray poisoning? What didn't kill him in the Prime timeline kills him in the parallel one?

Interesting.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 03:41 PM   #225
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

SantaEddie74 wrote: View Post
Man, those pranks he and Kirk played on one another at the Academy must have really backfired at some point.

"That flaming bag of sehlat poo was the last straw, Jimmy Boy...that was me last good pair of Starfleet service boots I ruined...and now you...and the entire bloody Federation...

are gonna pay."
Star Trek Revenge of the Nerds

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote